Lower Back Issues

Options
I have arthritis in my lower back and hips. I am trying to lose weight to take some of the pressure off my lower back. My doctor said just focus on cardio exercise. Any suggestions or help that anyone could provide would be great?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try cycling or walking.
    Fat loss doesn't require exercise, only a calorie reduction. :+1:
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also have arthritis/degenerative disc disease, in my lower back (shouldn't have been jumping off my HMMWV with that .50 cal on my back :# whoops). you're on the right track with loosing weight. Stomach fat does nothing but pull your spine forward and down. You should definitely work on your core strength until you feel good enough to progress. Of course you can do other exercises with lighter weight. And of course stretch, a lot. My back has been feeling fantastic to the point where I've been back to doing squats, clean and press, deadlift (bent knee and straight legged) even "good mornings" I'll also stress that form is extremely important. But as always, run any new program past your Dr. of course. Hope that helps
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Aqua fit is calling your name :)

Really, give it a try. It is an excellent cardio workout, but you can go at your own pace, improving as you get stronger.
    It is low impact, no stress on your back and hips ( often used as physiotherapy for joint and muscle recovery).
    There is a strength training aspect to it as you are moving against the water, good for those abs if you concentrate on correct form.
    It improves balance and mobility too.

Best of all, it is downright friendly and fun. You forget you are actually exercising.

Of course, eating less calories than you expend is going to have the greatest effect on weight loss. Count those calories.

Cheers, h.
  • RobynP1976
    RobynP1976 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Aqua fit is calling your name :)

Really, give it a try. It is an excellent cardio workout, but you can go at your own pace, improving as you get stronger.
    It is low impact, no stress on your back and hips ( often used as physiotherapy for joint and muscle recovery).
    There is a strength training aspect to it as you are moving against the water, good for those abs if you concentrate on correct form.
    It improves balance and mobility too.

Best of all, it is downright friendly and fun. You forget you are actually exercising.

Of course, eating less calories than you expend is going to have the greatest effect on weight loss. Count those calories.

Cheers, h.

• RobynP1976
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions. The bicycling has been the one exercise that been mentioned by multiple people. This is due to the fact that I can't walk or stand for any length of time without my back killing me.
  • christophertoddchandler
    Options
    Robyn I had suffered disk injuries from college football and I know what you are going through. 2008 I could not walk, was in bed for months. I met a Chiropractor that did spinal decompression and other therapeutic activities. It was a chunk of money out of pocket but thank God for the results. I can walk, run full speed and play sports again. Your back may need some attention. Biking and swimming are low impact. If you have a disk issue even biking can hurt. There are also some back exercises you can do that may help.
  • RobynP1976
    Options
    Thanks for the information.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Water would be wonderful, and definitely stretch (in the water, even!). But don't stretch your lower back in an arched-back way that could compress it any.

I'd recommend a gentle yoga class if you can't get water training, if you make sure to let the instructor know you have lower back issues and take everything easy. There are definitely poses you shouldn't do, so the instructor would have to be knowledgeable. But the stretching and movement in a beginner's class, done at your own pace, could help a lot. Still, movement in water is better.