Truckers/trucker spouses

Options
I wanted to make a discussion to see how many other truck drivers/spouses there were on mfp, I figured we could offer advice on how to stay healthy over the road and also support each other when we have to say goodbye to our loved ones not knowing when they/we will make it back home. I am married to a flatbed division prime driver.

Replies

• mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My husband is a OTR food grade tanker yanker for CVI. I think he has been driving for 8-9 years now. We have five kids, two in high school still at home. :)

edited for spelling
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My DH is a flatbed driver as well. :)
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My husband is a Werner driver on a dedicated account for Dollar General, I was OTR with him the past couple of years and now I'm staying in our apartment in Branson, MO lol it's very different and I really miss being on the truck but thankfully our account allows him to be home every single weekend so I still get to see him frequently. Sometimes it's so hard though, we were together 24/7 365 days a year on the truck and we loved every minute, we are amazingly in sync, I feel like my right arm is missing sometimes now I turn to point something out and he's not there and my mind takes a minute to adjust. We agreed though that if I was going to get serious about losing weight that being off the truck would be the best way to do it and I've really had great results so far thankfully. I'm just not sure how long I can resist being off the truck lol :s
  • ashleysolomon119
    ashleysolomon119 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It is hard to be off the truck, I was on the truck with my hubby last year going through the pad program at prime and I found out I was pregnant with my youngest and to come off the road. Together we have 6 kids his 21 year old son and 17 year old daughter and then our 6 year old twins, 5 year old daughter and 5 month old daughter. Lol some times I even think I miss his snoring. But my diet goes out the window just about every time he is home (every 3 to 4 weeks.)
  • ashleysolomon119
    Options
    Psd not pad lol
  • ashleysolomon119
    Options
    Oh and I live in Springfield mo btw.
  • momoharuno
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No kids yet but not for a lack of desire lol but realistically we're trying to wait a few more years. isn't it funny how we can want to be back on what is essentially a mobile bed? We have a 2016 Peterbilt so it's quite roomy but it's still basically a closet, bed, and counter lol but I will admit it's pretty great getting to go pee anytime I want (I hated driving through New Mexico there's usually no bathroom for about 4+ hours on the usual route we'd take) and it's nice to have a real kitchen instead of a 12-volt pan! :D
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've never been out with DH, I think it would make me crazy just sitting around all day, and I for sure would make him crazy, lol! We have a pretty good routine when he is gone, and especially during the school year we are so busy that the time goes quickly for us. Then we relax a bit for the days he's home. It's not ideal, but there aren't any local jobs where we live and we can't move, so we make it work.
  • ashleysolomon119
    Options
    The bathroom and kitchen are great!! We had a 2014 Kenworth when I was in the truck ( the clutch wasn't as hard for me to push down on the KW as a peterbuilt) now he is getting a 2014 peterbuilt. My goal was to get my CDL and one year of otr experience, then we both were going to come off of the road and find local jobs, but prime thought it was to much of a liability for me to be pregnant on the truck, so they wouldn't let me test out.
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My ex fiance was a truck driver. I used to go on this road with him and gained Most of my weight when I was with him. We just recently broke up and I miss him dearly. We was suppose to get married next month.
  • ashleysolomon119
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that.
  • shylady76
    shylady76 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My other half is a trucker on a dedicated run all week. Home on weekends. I am used to him being gone all week.
  • ariesfireangel
    ariesfireangel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a trucker for Roehl and he is out normally 18 to 24 days at a time then normally home for about four before heading back out again. By the time he got into trucking though we already had two daughters my oldest is 10 and the youngest is 3 so going out with him has never really been an option. Not for lack of him trying to get me to but with all the stories he's told me I'm perfectly fine here at home lol plus I am a horrible travel buddy. I always have to pee and talk non-stop hell he would probably kick me out of the truck before we ever even made it out of the state of georgia! :wink:
    It is tough though just me and the girls. And yes when he comes home it's normally always a diet bomb cause there is date night and of course you always want to cook up big meals and stuff. But I also find it just as hard to learn to really just cook for one while he is away (i say one cause my kids are such damn picky eaters) I really hate making any recipes I know I will have like 5 or 6 servings cause then it just seems so waste full. So I normally always end up eating a little more then I should. :persevere:
  • momoharuno
    Options
    I lived alone for a few years before I met my husband luckily, I have all the skills necessary to cope mentally and emotionally and am very handy around the house (i can repair pretty much anything and I can take a blue ribbon at the state fair for my coconut cream pie ;) ) honestly I do like being on my own 4-5 days a week, I got very used to being alone in those years and I can find a real sense of inner peace when I'm alone, I just feel more centered. I'm also a writer and I can't get any work done when he's around because I get puppy levels of excited whenever he's home and I only want to focus on him lol I love that sweet wonderful man though <3
  • ariesfireangel
    ariesfireangel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know it is kind of weird how much you start to enjoy being on your own sometimes. I never lived in my own before my husband I basicly went straight from living with my parents to living with him and we were always together for all 9 year of our marriage before he switched to this job. I can't lie that first year was tough as hell but I think that was mainly cause our youngest had just turned 2 and I tell ya that girl is hell on wheels. But after the first year of getting use to bring on my own and my toddler finally mellowing out a little on me I've really come to enjoy just having the feeling of being on my own. It's silly I know but it kind of makes me feel maybe just a little more independent since I never got the chance to live on my own in life. I find I am feeling much more confident this year then I was the first, like I know I got this so it's time to stop worrying about that and start worrying about me a little :)
  • Marg672
    Marg672 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am married to a trucker over the past 2 years he has transitioned to more regional/ out and back so he is home frequently throughout the week. When the kids were little (now 18,17&16) it was always a challenge. Now the kids are more supportive of my lifestyle changes/ healthy habits than the husband. I will not go on an eating date unless he also agrees to go for a walk too (at least 30min) needless to say we don't go out that much any more. I work nights and every other weekend so that complicates things too.

I am doing this for me and nobody else!
  • MurderMeSomeFat
    MurderMeSomeFat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My husband started out with Prime. He has been with Trailiner for 4 years now.
    I live in Rockaway Beach.
    Sent you a friend request...
    Oh and I live in Springfield mo btw.

• momoharuno
    Options
    My husband's parents own a trucking company and they are wanting us to take control of the whole business once they retire, it gives me hope that eventually he won't drive and will be home everyday. My husband actually just made an account on here the other day while he was home because he wants to join me in having a healthier lifestyle instead of just supporting me, love that man <3 he's been doing good too he lost 6 lbs in the past few weeks, he unloads the rolltainers and u-boats out of the trailer so he's able to stay very active. I told him long ago I was afraid of him becoming a drop and hook because I know their weight can get out of control being extra sedentary. Does anyone else worry/have a problem with weight gain on drop and hook? One of our trucker friends is mid 30's and lean like a starving dog and even he gained 30lbs. on drop and hook (he switched back to the Dollar General account to be more active again) I love this thread :)
  • kfm6
    kfm6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a trucker for Roehl and he is out normally 18 to 24 days at a time then normally home for about four before heading back out again. By the time he got into trucking though we already had two daughters my oldest is 10 and the youngest is 3 so going out with him has never really been an option. Not for lack of him trying to get me to but with all the stories he's told me I'm perfectly fine here at home lol plus I am a horrible travel buddy. I always have to pee and talk non-stop hell he would probably kick me out of the truck before we ever even made it out of the state of georgia! :wink:
    It is tough though just me and the girls. And yes when he comes home it's normally always a diet bomb cause there is date night and of course you always want to cook up big meals and stuff. But I also find it just as hard to learn to really just cook for one while he is away (i say one cause my kids are such damn picky eaters) I really hate making any recipes I know I will have like 5 or 6 servings cause then it just seems so waste full. So I normally always end up eating a little more then I should. :persevere:

Hi,

I have lost 30 pounds but recently plateaued at 255. I want to get to 220 to 225 and decide where I go from there. Let me know how I can help you and I look for any help you can provide me.

Thanks,
    KFM