Here's my plan this time around - thoughts?

Options
So, like many others I've been here before. I am at my highest weight, 153 pounds, at 5'4". I've only been logging about a week but here's my plan:

1,410 is my base calories for 0.5 pounds per week. Personally, I feel better when I eat small meals several times a day and with a bit higher protein so my protein goal is 110+ grams per day; don't pay attention to the other macros. I realize those things don't technically matter for weight loss but I feel better eating this way and it helps keep me on track. I work from home so it's easy enough for me to eat often.

I started Insanity Max 30 last week and plan on following that workout plan, even though I have to modify like crazy at this point. I have done Insanity before and really love it, just so disappointed that I'm starting over. On non-workout days I plan on getting at least 10,000 steps. I use a HRM for workouts and a Fitbit for steps. I'll likely eat back part of my workout calories, but not all of them.

My diary is open to take a look. I do rely a lot on protein shakes and bars and eat a lot of the same stuff every day but food has never been the issue with me. It's the alcohol that's the issue. The enormous amount of calories that I can down on a daily basis, the poor food decisions that are made while I'm drinking, and the exercise that doesn't happen when I'm drinking. I know from past experience that I can lose the weight and keep it off as long as I don't start the daily drinking again. I have yet to figure that part out but for now, I'm just completely removing alcohol from the plan. The issue comes when I have to do anything social. I am extremely introverted so anything social sends me into a tailspin. Unfortunately, my husband is very social and we have lots of parties at our house. For now he's agreed to only having poker parties so I don't have to attend. I know that's not a long-term solution but I'm hoping it gets me off to a good start.

Anyway, that's my plan this time around. Suggestions and tips welcome!

Replies

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think 100% banning alcohol sounds like a good plan for you. How you eventually get the parties back might be to eat at a deficit to maintenance all week, and then use alcohol to top up to maintenance at the weekend.

Or, learn to play poker. It's super addictive and you'll have an advantage against all the men if you can do any math at all ;-)

Osric
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel in regards to alcohol and being introverted. I am an introverted extrovert, so I like being around people but my social anxiety keeps me from being comfortable when I am; thus, I drink to make the anxiety go away.

I have tried limiting my drinks to two when I go out, and I can't say I am horribly successful at it. However, what I have found is switching from liquor to a light beer has helped when social drinking occurs. I plan for the calories and find that beer doesn't make me feel drunk. I am finding that the transition is helping me limit the intake. Maybe slowly working it out of your diet rather than stopping cold turkey may be a bit less of a shock? Good luck. It's definitely a rough problem to overcome when there's social anxiety involved.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You can drink in moderation within your calorie limits. Just increase your workout by 30 mins and that should give you more calories to work with. I agree with your strategy of higher protein intake. You have done this before no reason you can't do it now.
  • midlifesally
    midlifesally Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also tend to drink too much when I go out. You could try alternating your alcoholic drinks with club soda & lemon. helps me. Mind you, I am just starting my weight loss journey. I started limiting my alcohol a couple months.

I still have a couple drinks, but I don't over do it. The water helps.
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Suggestions: make it a priority to log everything, including drinks. Then you will be able to see how it affects your total count.
    10000 steps is a lot, especially if you are normally a bit sedentary. If you are having difficulty getting that, don't flip out, but build up to it. One of my biggest surprises with my fitbit is how much focus out takes to get those 10000 steps. If I tell the big guy that I am not getting my steps, he is shocked and points out that I walk more than anybody he knows.
    Find better alternatives for snacks on party days. Have an idea of what you can eat that won't mess with your numbers too much. You have an ambitious plan started, but plan for what you will eat/drink/do during your trouble areas.
    It's great that you already have an idea of what parts of your life are the trouble areas - try to incorporate 1 change at a time that will have the biggest effect. Eating loads of pizza? Try eating something healthy before the party so you don't feel so hungry, might make it easier to turn down second or third helpings. Fried cheese sticks as a snack? Try some air popped popcorn. Measure how much butter you add, so it doesn't surprise you later. Or look up recipes for pop corn mix snacks. If it's liquid calories, see if you can substitute, or change your drink for something less calorific. Use a smaller glass, alternate between your drink and water, tea, or diet soda.

If your problem really is that you eat drink too much, I don't think a hefty exercise program will be the biggest part of your answer. Some dietary changes also will make your process so much easier.
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I too noticed that I make bad decisions on food and the calories flow in a lot easier with the alcohol. I'm only a social drinker but it's hard to go out for me and not drink when everyone else is. Usually when I start back to stricter calorie intake, I cut out the alcohol for at least a month at first. I stay away from the bars and parties centered around alcohol as long as I can. When I do go out, I Have seltzer water with lime or something else to drink that's low calorie and nonalcoholic. If I decide to indulge, I do Mich Ultra or vodka and water. Good luck!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I do know that I will be faced with a social event at some point and I will likely drink so, while I don't like beer, I may try to just limit myself to wine, which I don't overindulge in nearly as much as the really good stuff. I've also had a habit of not logging when I've had too much so point taken on the suggestion to log everything even then. Maybe seeing it in front of my face will help it to not happen again. I also like the thought of making a specific plan for when I know I'm going to face a particular situation. Oh, and just getting past the slips and moving on instead of letting it derail me. That happens, too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I do know that I will be faced with a social event at some point and I will likely drink so, while I don't like beer, I may try to just limit myself to wine, which I don't overindulge in nearly as much as the really good stuff. I've also had a habit of not logging when I've had too much so point taken on the suggestion to log everything even then. Maybe seeing it in front of my face will help it to not happen again. I also like the thought of making a specific plan for when I know I'm going to face a particular situation. Oh, and just getting past the slips and moving on instead of letting it derail me. That happens, too.

Just keep going. It sounds like you've devised a plan that works for you. :)
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    cj298my5vluj.jpg

Planning is the best way to avert this. This needs to be for life. So if you know you can't spend your life without something, learn how to have it appropriately. I love sweets. So instead of eliminating them, I'm finding those things that are less calorie ps but satisfy my sweet tooth. When I stress eat, I figure out why I did and plan out an alternate way to deal with it. So if drinking socially seems impossible to skip, then find an alternative. What drinks are fewer calories? Maybe have something that already comes pre-portioned (a bottle of beer as opposed to a keg you keep going back to). when you know you're going out, map our your calories ahead of time and plan out what you will eat and drink that allows you to indulge but you know exactly how much you can have. These kinds of plans aren't foolproof but definitely help increase will power. Best of luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to anyone about the drinking problem? I get the impression you are not talking about a couple of beers. It sounds like something where real life support would help. Good luck.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I agree with the banning of alcohol if it's such a problem for you. I'd echo the above poster in seeking help for your alcohol consumption if you do feel it taking it's toll on you mentally and physically. There are an awful lot of calories in some alcoholic drinks so I'd be careful if you continue drinking that you aren't substituting food for your alcohol - your body needs to be adequately fueled. I really hope you find a way that works for you. MFP will help you :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    You can drink in moderation within your calorie limits. Just increase your workout by 30 mins and that should give you more calories to work with. I agree with your strategy of higher protein intake. You have done this before no reason you can't do it now.

This. I cut back drinking to one or usually two drinks a day and still have calories for pretty much anything I feel like by walking every day. You can look at my diary if you think it might help. I've lost 18 kg since April.