Over 55, over weight and Southern

Options
Hey yall, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself... I'm happily married (more or less) for 35 years, we have one son, one daughter in law and 2 grandchildren. My very difficult Mother just passed away June 1st from kidney failure BUT she had full on "old-timers" which made a difficult mom just plain evil... I'm 5'11" and weigh 213, hubby is 6'2" and weighs 285... he broke his back at work years ago so exercise, for him, is not happening... I love to cook! Sooooo we love to eat! To combat this we are on a portion control diet just to get us used to proper portions. We consume no more than 1250 for me and 1500 for him a day in calories. I cook low cal then freeze at least 4 meals from the leftovers because apparently I do not know how to cook for 2 people. My thyroid has died and I have high blood pressure so dropping even a small amount of weight is going to be helpful. I can't think of anything else relevant sooooo... if yall have any super duper low cal recipes or if yall can recommend a great cookbook or website PLEASE do so... I look forward to the journey with yall

Replies

• JohnGregory53
    JohnGregory53 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a Texan. I like Southern cooking too! Feel free to add me.
  • jtate0212
    jtate0212 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Nice to see eone else who says yall. :) Good luck on your journey!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and weigh 213, hubby is 6'2" and weighs 285. We consume no more than 1250 for me and 1500 for him a day in calories.

My thyroid has died and I have high blood pressure so dropping even a small amount of weight is going to be helpful.

Set your goals to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. I'm 5'2", and I eat more than your husband.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost the weight by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    There are many web sites that have low calorie recipes. If you have other issues that require modified diets such as low sodium you can find then on the web. The AMA has great recipes, skinnytaste.com, cooking light etc but I just eat what I want as long as I stay within my nutrition goals for the day. Good Luck to you and your husband!