Anyone else feel ashamed when they look at our peoples food

Options
2»

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Yup, I'm doing this my own way, according to my own life.

As long as my hair isn't falling out and I'm getting roughly the nutrition I need, I'm good. My life has its own rules, and believe it or not, one of those rules is that I'm eating like I'm going to for the rest of my life. Which includes processed food and sometimes even.....ACK!....Fast Food. I'm just learning that once a month is more appropriate than once a day.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy, unprocessed food takes a lot of effort, and sometimes a little more money.

Not everyone has the time, skills, or money to follow an ideal diet.

It's nothing to be ashamed about. Just do your best.

Also, a lot of people don't log on the days that they have treats, or mess up, or just binge. What you see in people's diaries may not reflect what they are actually eating.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It has taken me months to get to a point where I am happy with my eating habits and planned meals...I am at the point now where I can have my meals down to the last calorie of "eat back calories". It didn't happen overnight. I will echo Taso and say that pre-planning helps out a lot. I travel for my job and I pack a week's worth of breakfast, lunch, and dinner (I won't go out except on the way to my hotel from home). One suggestion is to figure out what you feel is your best macro nutrient breakdown according to your weight loss goals (% of protein, carbs, and fat), tweak those in the "Goals" section and then slowly modifying your diet to incorporate those goals. It is not easy, but slow steady progress towards the perfect end state will get you there.

Plus, don't worry so much about what other people are doing! If you are losing weight already, you just need to focus on incremental progress and you will get there!

My kryptonite is still sodium, but I combat it with a potassium supplement and lots of H2O.

Good luck!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Don't be ashamed, you can lie just as well online as you can in real life. Don't take everyones diaries as the gospel truth, or even accurate.
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    its your plan here and not anyone else's.... stick to your cal goals and fitness plan and all will be coll beans !
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    No reason to feel shamed friend. We were all eating crappy at one point and that's how we end up here. The one thing you can do to quickly change your trend is PLAN AHEAD. Make yourself a menu for tomorrow, the next day, the day after, the whole week. Always have at least the following day's meals planned out and stick to your plan as close as possible. You can continue this forever, or after several weeks, you maybe be in a groove and it will just come naturally. My food diary is as perfect as clockwork during the week if I do say so myself. It takes minimal effort and discipline to stick to it at this point because it's such an ingrained routine.

Like the quote in my sig... The more you do it, the better you feel. The better you feel, the more you do it. It's true!

Plan ahead thats it...I have no structure to my day so I never plan...it's just whatever is i in the refectory or at my nearest Co-Op and its usually very bad fast junky food.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Don't worry.
    I eat the crappiest out of all my friends :P
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Don't worry.
    I eat the crappiest out of all my friends :P
  • heatherdoll40
    heatherdoll40 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead thats it...I have no structure to my day so I never plan...it's just whatever is i in the refectory or at my nearest Co-Op and its usually very bad fast junky food.

I haven't seen anyone elses food diaries, but what I do is first thing in the morning I sit down at the computer with coffee or tea and mfp and think about what food I have where I will be. I put all the food in the diary check to see where I am at with meals so I can make adustments to my meal plan. It's there as a guide for me, today was harder because I have had no clue what I am going to have for dinner. I need to go shopping.
    Back to the thought it's just a tool to make good choices.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I actually see it often. People are staying below their calorie count but still eating nothing but fast food, prepackaged foods, cakes, candy, etc. They are not changing their lifestyle at all and normally those are the people that will gain everything back plus some. So no, you are not alone but you really need to fix your food issues so this can be long term weight loss and not "right now."

And its comments like this that make me want to close my diary again. You have NO idea if I have or have not made a lifestyle change. Maybe I eat processed foods because I am soo tremendously busy that I do not have time to get anything else in. Maybe I make the best processed food choice ... and maybe I make a better choice than what I used to. Maybe I am do not know how to cook, or cant afford it ... or maybe I dont have time to cook because I am so busy exercising. Yes, I agree that you should try to eat cleaner, and decrease processed foods as much as possible, but at the end of the day you want to eat less than you burn and you will lose weight...
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It seems like everyone eats healthier than I do.

I dont really care though.

I enjoy going to olive garden from time to time and having 10 breadsticks.

Or texas roadhouse and having 12 rolls.

Gotta live!

Food (especially carbs) are a huge part of my life lol

Just do the best that YOU can do!
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I actually see it often. People are staying below their calorie count but still eating nothing but fast food, prepackaged foods, cakes, candy, etc. They are not changing their lifestyle at all and normally those are the people that will gain everything back plus some. So no, you are not alone but you really need to fix your food issues so this can be long term weight loss and not "right now."

And its comments like this that make me want to close my diary again. You have NO idea if I have or have not made a lifestyle change. Maybe I eat processed foods because I am soo tremendously busy that I do not have time to get anything else in. Maybe I make the best processed food choice ... and maybe I make a better choice than what I used to. Maybe I am do not know how to cook, or cant afford it ... or maybe I dont have time to cook because I am so busy exercising. Yes, I agree that you should try to eat cleaner, and decrease processed foods as much as possible, but at the end of the day you want to eat less than you burn and you will lose weight...

QFT..

Agreed
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel- I see peoples diaries that are full of whole grains, lean protein, and tons of veggies. and I really don't have the time or money to buy a ton of those, and I do okay. It is a process and some people are on a different step of their journey to learning to eat cleaner and healthier. I ate laffy taffy this morning because my little sister left it in the house and we are about 2 weeks overdue for a grocery shopping! it happens! Forgive yourself and don't dwell on what others do or don't do. We are all different