How many cals intake???

Options
Healbe says my body burns 2000 a day before exercise. Wanting to loose 1-2 lbs a week. Doing low carb and counting cals. Currently 5'6" 210 lbs. wanting to weigh between 140-160. How many cals should I eat???

Replies

• wible404
    wible404 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    wible404 wrote: »
    Healbe says my body burns 2000 a day before exercise. Wanting to loose 1-2 lbs a week. Doing low carb and counting cals. Currently 5'6" 210 lbs. wanting to weigh between 140-160. How many cals should I eat???

Oh I also try to work out 5 days a week 25-30 mins daily
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    fill in the MFP settings/stats and choose 1 or 2 pounds a week loss
    It will give you the calorie amount you have to eat daily

your exercise you can eat a part back of that on top of what MFP gave you
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    I would start out with 1500 for 4 weeks if i were you.... see how it goes
    Weigh EVERYTHING on a food scale ( dont use cups and spoons) and tweak from there...how was your weight loss over those weeks etc
    from there 100 calories a day more or less for some weeks
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The whole key to steady weight loss is

1. Weigh all your food and log it.
    2. Be patient and consistent
    3. have some fun and dont see it as a journey...eat how you want to eat when you are at your goal weight only eat less so you lose now. This is easier when you want to maintain later on.

This is how i loss my weight in the last 11 months

95069916.png
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Given your goals I'd try for 1200-1300 daily and see if you're satisfied with the rate of loss. Others will tell you to eat more but if you really want to see 2lbs/week you're going to need to cut your intake a lot.

Osric
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Why not just enter your details into mfp and go with that.

But a pound per week take a 500 cal per day deficit to lose.

So if 2000 is maintenance that would mean 1500 for 1 pound or 1000 for 2 pounds a week.

1000 is too low and 2 pounds per week is likely too aggressive weight loss for the amount you have to lose.

I would maybe aim for 1-1.5 pounds per week. So 1250-1500 a day to eat.

I don't know that healbe site so no idea how accurate it is.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to determine your BMR. This is the amount of calories you need just to keep functioning.
    bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    Note, they mention that depriving yourself of food actually lowers your BMR. so you want a 500 calorie deficit of your total calorie burn. More than that and your BMR drops, slowing your weight loss. It's not quite as simple as some think it is.
    Once you have your BMR...use this calculation to determine your daily calorie needs and then just subtract 500 from that. It should give at least a good base point to start from.
    bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Good luck!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Just to give you an example:
    I'm 5'11"
    205 pounds
    Female
    My BMR is 1720.65
    Using the next link, my activity level is very high, so I multiply 1720.65 by 1.725 so my daily calorie needs is roughly around 2968 to maintain my weight. I want to lose weight so I subtract 500 from that to get 2468. Which matches my fitbit calculations and typically I eat between 2,000 and 2,400 calories depending on my activity level that day.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    An alternate plan is to "eat for the new you" which means calculating what your future maintenance calories would be for your goal weight and simply eat that every day (on average) for the rest of your life.

Since we're the same height, I can guess your goal weight's maintenance would be about 1600 if you're sedentary-ish. If you started eating 1600 today, over the next year you'd lose most of the excess weight. But the thing about this plan that appeals to some people is over that year you're learning what 1600 looks and feels like every day and hopefully, in theory, you won't have to count calories and weigh food anymore after a year or two. You'd just know what 1600 calories is since that's what you've been eating.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    An alternate plan is to "eat for the new you" which means calculating what your future maintenance calories would be for your goal weight and simply eat that every day (on average) for the rest of your life.

Since we're the same height, I can guess your goal weight's maintenance would be about 1600 if you're sedentary-ish. If you started eating 1600 today, over the next year you'd lose most of the excess weight. But the thing about this plan that appeals to some people is over that year you're learning what 1600 looks and feels like every day and hopefully, in theory, you won't have to count calories and weigh food anymore after a year or two. You'd just know what 1600 calories is since that's what you've been eating.

I subscribed to this plan. I figured out how I needed to eat. At 5-6, you can probably do 1500 intake. exercise is a bonus.
  • wible404
    wible404 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is great info! Thanks a bunch.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

We have a couple members doing this method
    And works too. Aldo they go slow now. and it still comes down how accurate your counting/logging and calorie intake is.
    And another thing why i didnt do it that way is...they chose to do it even with exercise in it...So TDEE which means you have to keep that up the whole week. Burning the same amounts

Ofcourse you dont have to do it with exercise in it. But that was their method :) and it works. Its the same the deficit is there only gets smaller and smaller over time too. But the consistency is nice. And they lose weight just fine.
    If you put the data next to each other of me and others to theirs the outcome is about the same.