HIIT Workouts & Strength training

Options
Looking for motivated friends and those who have ideas on leaning up.

Replies

• gareth753
    gareth753 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find kettlebell workouts work good for me as I'm trying to do the same
  • Panone2
    Panone2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    d8hngv5ald80.jpg
  • Winston817
    Winston817 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
  • Winston817
    Options
    Bump
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT workouts and they are amazing for getting lean. I am on Facebook and follow Brenda Vance.... she has some amazing kickbutt work outs :)
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options
    I have added HIIT to my workouts about a month ago. I do it on the elliptical 3 times a week . I set it for 18 mins and go slow on 3 for 1 min then at 1 min I turn up to 19 and go as hard as I can for 30 seconds. Back to slow and easy for a min, followed by hard and heavy for 30 seconds till end. It really gets the heart rate up unlike any other cardio I have done.
  • emilyc314
    emilyc314 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How do you guys record your HIT workouts? I've been doing a boot camp that is super intense and a wonderful calorie blasting work out but I'm not sure how to record it on here?
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't bother recording mine in all honestly EmilyC... I just take them as a win :)
  • Winston817
    Options
    emilyc314 wrote: »
    How do you guys record your HIT workouts? I've been doing a boot camp that is super intense and a wonderful calorie blasting work out but I'm not sure how to record it on here?

I use a Polar FT7 HRM for each and every workout then create the exercise I do under cardio in MFP.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    HRM will significantly over-inflate calorie estimates for intervals - your HR is elevated during the recovery phases.
  • Winston817
    Options
    I wouldn't say over inflate. EPOC occurs and calories are burned after the workout. I do like to keep track and compare workouts. .and push myself.
  • mazzy1026
    mazzy1026 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    HRM will significantly over-inflate calorie estimates for intervals - your HR is elevated during the recovery phases.

Maybe true, but the fitter you get, the quicker your HR comes down in between B)
  • Winston817
    Options
    mazzy1026 wrote: »

Maybe true, but the fitter you get, the quicker your HR comes down in between B)

Agreed

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Winston817 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say over inflate. EPOC occurs and calories are burned after the workout. I do like to keep track and compare workouts. .and push myself.

I've seen EPOC for HIIT estimated at 14%.
    14% of an already small number from a short duration workout is insignificant.

Test yourself on a power meter equiped piece of equipment and you will see the HRM estimate deviate wildly for interval training.

HIIT can be great for moderately fit people who are short of time to improve their CV fitness levels but don't get sucked into the hype that it's a big calorie burner.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

EPOC differential is minimal. Yes, HRMs over-inflate big time, and the worse shape you're in, the more they over-inflate.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

This. HRMs aren't even close to accurate on HIIT workouts.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    Options

I've seen EPOC for HIIT estimated at 14%.
    14% of an already small number from a short duration workout is insignificant.

Test yourself on a power meter equiped piece of equipment and you will see the HRM estimate deviate wildly for interval training.

HIIT can be great for moderately fit people who are short of time to improve their CV fitness levels but don't get sucked into the hype that it's a big calorie burner.

If I am going to gauge my CV fitness I do that on steady state cardio. For example time it takes to run 5 miles. I can tell since I have started the HIIT it has improved my endurance on my steady state cardio. As far as judging my progress I am going by an article on bodybuilding.com where I started on the 2nd step of 1:2 ratio. I am not quite to where I can keep a consistent pace through the sprint phase. Once I can keep going to the max for the full 30 seconds I will move on to next step of longer time/shorter rest.
    As far as calories burned I put in minutes on elliptical at moderate pace on MFP and it is close to same number of cals burned machine says.
    My main goal is strength and weight gain so it doesn't matter to me if numbers are a little off. I added 3 sessions a week of HIIT but still do a couple of longer steady state sessions as well. I think the HIIT has improved my Cardio health which in turn has helped me make gains in the weight room and helped me make faster times on my runs as well.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Adding HIIT to a solid aerobic base is a fantastic thing to do.
  • Mellie1183
    Mellie1183 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new... what's HIIT?
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mellie1183 wrote: »
    I'm new... what's HIIT?
    High Intensity Interval Training.
    You can do it with just about any cardio exercise. It is a combination of sprint and rest/easy. I do mine on elliptical machine. Set it for 18 mins. 1st min very slow resistance then 30 seconds heavy resistance going as hard as possible back to 1 minute slow and easy then 30 seconds hard and heavy. Repeat till the end. As you progress you can lengthen sprint and shorten rest but I am not ready to do that yet.