Hypothyroidism and weightloss

Options
hello! Good afternoon. My name is liz and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism back in May. I haven't be able to lose any weight. I'm just mantaining. I eat super healthy and I'm still over weight. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel that the synthyroid pill is making me worse. What kind of diet are you following? To those who have thyroid problems.
Anything would help! Thank you

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Are you watching how many calories you eat?
    Do you weigh your food out on a food scale?
    How long have you been trying to lose weight?

You can still eat too much even if you are eating healthy foods.

edit: Oh and here is a group that you might want to check out-
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Not trying to brush you off or anything, but you might find some helpful tips in there.
  • karenefwalsh
    karenefwalsh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have found that you really need to make sure your doctor is monitoring your Synthroid levels. It took a good while for me to get on the right amount of medicine & it has had to be adjusted a few times over the years. Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Usually the side effect is being more tired - you move less, you burn less, than average.

The meds help you not be so tired and move more.

Even then if not corrected, just need to eat less than you do burn by reasonable amount.

With that kind of stress on body - don't add to it by making diet unreasonable.

But to above questions - your comment makes no indication that eating level in appropriate to lose weight - merely that you are eating "super healthy" - and that has nothing to do with amount of calories.
  • Lizflores
    Lizflores Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't weight my food. I eat small portions 6 times a day and about gallon of water. I eat nothing but grassfed meats. Mostly chicken and fish. I started eating gluten free because it something my dr recommend with my thyroid problem. I don't eat bread, or bad carbs. Every once in a while I do have a cheat meal on the weekends but I keep it healthy as well. Lots of vegetables and a little fruit.

I been trying to lose weight for 2 years since I moved overseas. I had thyroid problems and I didn't now about it. My diet completely changed since I got married because my husband is all about healthy food and healthy lifestyle. I have lost 40lbs in those 2 years but I can't lose anymore. I'm so frustrated!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So your not counting calories....That's at least what I gather from your reply.

Well, it sounds like you are eating the correct amount of calories to maintain your current weight. Again, just because you are eating healthy doesn't mean that you are eating at a calorie level that will cause weight loss.

So suggestions:
    • log your food in MFP (maybe start tomorrow and log your day as you go without cutting, so you can see how much you are currently eating)
    • invest in a food scale (it can be very helpful for accuracy with logging food and for seeing what a portion size should actually look like. Some things can be pretty disappointingly small)
    • log your food in MFP and follow MFP's calorie goal for you for 4 weeks. Then evaluate. Is your rate of loss slower than expected? Adjust your calorie goal down. Is your rate of loss faster than expected? You could adjust your goal up or keep it the same and just accept that it will slow as you lose weight.
    • update your goals with every 10 lbs or so lost (As you lose weight your calorie goal to maintain goes down, so you need to eat less to maintain the same rate of loss....if you don't adjust down or increase activity or both, then you could get to a point where what was once the amount of food to lose weight is now your maintenance)
  • amyann__
    amyann__ Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Gluten free!! I've had sub clinical hypothyroidism for a few years, and have been gluten free for a year and half and have lost ~25 lbs. Same types of foods/meals. I still try and get whole grain options like brown rice pasta/millet chia gf bread. Haven't had symptoms of hypothyroidism since switching either. My TSH went from 2.34 to 1.2 in a year. The only catch with eating gluten free is that you have to completely cut it out for at least a few months before you get the full benefit. No cheats/watch for flour as an ingredient/careful eating out/etc. it's hard but worth it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost the weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Liz to Liz don't get frustrated. I have found that I need to exercise to really see any weight loss. I think it is because the hypothyroidism slows my metabolism so that just eating within calorie levels is not enough. I need to boost my metabolism with exercise. My doctor was very worried by my EKG because the electrical activity was very low which can be common for under active thyroid patients even with proper medicine. He told me to exercise. My next EKG was much better.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Well you're in good company as there are many users here with hypothryoidism who have managed to lose weight. What medication are you taking? In addition to logging calories keep a log on how you're feeling from day to day and show your doctor this. It is very difficult to determine root cause without objective evidence, but keeping a diary will help you and your physician to diagnose the root cause.

@editorgrrl provided an excellent link to the SexyPants post - quite possibly the best on the site. Follow that first and tighten up on your logging. Try to eliminate all the possible causes that are limiting your loss.

Great that you are hydrating as this becomes key in many people with thyroid disorders.

What are your results if you don't mind? Optimum range for TSH is considered 0.3-3.0 since 2002. You also need to know that simply being overweight will have a negative impact on your hormonal balance, so the best single action you can take is to lose the weight.

If you're feeling better from the diet, great! Know that for weight loss the number of calories you ingest is far more important, so either eat less or move more - whatever you need do to maintain that caloric deficit.
  • Biodi
    Biodi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz,

Your body may not be responding well to Synthroid. When I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I was prescribed Synthroid and felt horrible all the time even though my blood test results indicated all was good. It was so frustrating because I kept telling my doctor that my symptoms were not improving. My weight was not changing either and yes, eating less or no gluten is a great help with the loss of weight. After doing my own research, I found out that there is another thyroid replacement pill that is derived from either the cow or pig thyroid and it's called dessicated thyroid. From the time I started taking this, I've felt so much better - the dessicated thyroid is the closest to the human thyroid. My symptoms started to improve within the first few days. Don't know about you - my system is very sensitive and it tends to respond best to more natural forms of therapy. This may be the case for you too.
    Hope this helps and that I haven't confused you more.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    There's a third treatment option besides Synthroid (synthetic T4) or Armour (desiccated pig or pig + cow thyroid glands). Your endocrinologist could reduce your Synthroid slightly and add Cytomel (synthetic T3).

Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • Lizflores
    Lizflores Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and advice! I appreciate it very much! I will be more careful with what I eat and count my calories this time.
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Ms Lizflores,
    I'm so glad I looked into the community page and saw your post! I'm going through the EXACT SAME THING as you. Most of the comments suggestions and advice given here about this hidden illness are awesome.
    I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroid issue (for years). It's very important to go for blood tests to make sure your dosage is correct. Also, I agree with others in that just guessing at your calories may be the worst culprit in your lack of weight loss. You can't even believe how much a "little" more of this or that can add up, especially if you also have "cheat" meals or days.

Best of luck to you. I have previously lost 96 lbs, with a thyroid problem, so I know it can be done if you are committed and really work at it!