HRMs...how accurate?

Options
I started using a heart rate monitor this week during my workouts. I have it set at my age/sex. How accurate are they?

For example, last night I went for a walk. I walk a good 4.0. for 45 mins. HRM said 482. MFP says 350. 30DS is a little closer. HRM said 389. MFP said (circuit training) was 336. I realize that MFP is going to be more off but are HRMs really that accurate? Did I really burn THAT MUCH?? Or should I count the calories burned as somewhere in between there? I live around some hills so I know that MFP isn't going to account for that. I'm just not sure how "accurate" HRMs are as I've never used one.

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    MFP uses averages while a HRM uses your actual heart rate changes. I'd say the HRM is probably loads more accurate than MFP
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    bumping this for later...
    as i am shopping for a HRM right now!

does yours have a chest strap?
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I just got a new HRM and I have been comparing it to what my trainer says I burn during my exercises. It has been very close to what he says. My old HRM was way off but it was also several years old so not sure if that was the problem or it just wasn't a good HRM.
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If it came with a chest strap I would say it's pretty accurate since it monitors your actual heart rate.
  • Tritan342
    Tritan342 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and it comes with a chest strap which is a lot better than the arm type. Yes, they are accurate.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Mine is by Sportline and it's a watch. I got it for $30 from Kmart. I didn't spend the big bucks because I wasn't sure how these worked.

It appears to be accurate as far as heart rate goes. I did my resting and my workout rate manually. So the rate seems to be ok. I would assume calories burned would be right as well then. I just wasn't sure what everyone else was figuring.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and it comes with a chest strap which is a lot better than the arm type. Yes, they are accurate.

I have the Polar FT60 also. I'm not sure about the other polar models, but the FT60 will perform a aerobic fitness test (the literature says its comparable to a V02max, maximal oxygen uptake test) to calculate your training calories.
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The ones without a chest strap aren't anywhere near as accurate as the ones with the strap. However, if your ticker in your signature is correct, you still have a bit of weight to lose...you'll burn more calories the more weight you have to lose, so your HRM is probably more accurate than MFP from that standpoint.