Stationery rower / rowing machine? What do you think of it's workouts?

Options
Hey guys, I just got myself a rowing machine... I am starting off small with the time I am on it and working my way up - as I have been out of exercise for a little bit, due to firstly injury, then laziness.

What's your take on rowing machines for shredding the fat?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    nixism wrote: »
    What's your take on rowing machines for shredding the fat?

It's more time consuming than eating fewer calories. B)

Check the videos on proper form on Concept2's website. :+1:
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Do you think it give a decent workout though? I definitely sweat! Yep, have checked online and have often rowed, so have pretty decent form...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it and find it beneficial.
    If you have rowed before you will already know how good a workout it is.
    It is your diet that will shred the fat.

Here is a good thread about the concept 2.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10240116/getting-into-rowing#latest

Cheers, h.
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Rowing enthusiast here! It takes some getting used to, but its a full body workout. I love it.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I use the cable rower thingie at the gym. Plus i use the evil cardio rower. I hate it with a passion. But omfg it's an incredible workout
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If done properly, rowing is an amazing total body workout. You need to develop good form or you may not do it for long without getting hurt (not too unlike many other exercises). At the very least, good form will help you make the most of your rowing session.

As for shredding fat? As already stated, it begins with what you take in calorie wise and how it's offset by your output. Rowing will help with the output as will many other exercises.

I personally love my C2 rower. It's total bada$$

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Middlehaitches link to a previous thread is a good one wih lots of useful information on it and should be read.

You need to get your technique right to maximise your efficiency and avoid injuring yourself. It takes time before it becomes really comfortable. This is the basic Concept video on technique. http://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

A calorific deficit burns fat.

The amount of calories you burn depends on your weight, intensity and duration. People often spend too little time or dont put enough effort into their session.

Keep a record of times and distances, then seek to improve or increase week on week. You are wherever you are, so be patient and build steadily. Learn to use the monitor so you cna understand your performance.

No idea if you are using a Concept or not, the basics are still the same.