Gained 7 pounds in 2 days HELP!

Options
Im completely freaking out right now, I've been following a strict 800 cal diet for a few months now and was down to 9st 10. My diet consists of no bread, pasta etc, drinking lots of water and eating fruit and veg. On Saturday night I drank a bottle of white wine (first time I've drank in about a year) and I did feel guilty knowing the calorie intake, but I had only eaten one homemade vegetarian burger and half a grapefruit that day so I figured it would be ok. I also spent about 5 hours that night dancing so I was working up a sweat! Within 2 days I've put on 7 pounds and I'm mortified, I can't bring myself to eat much because of it but the weight keeps piling on, one more pound up this morning... Wtf is going on? :(

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is your height, current weight and starting weight? Have you been doing a dr supervised very low calorie diet?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's water weight, when you have been eating reduced carb you lose water weight, add carbs back in and you put that water weight back on.

The real problem is why you are starving yourself. 800 calories is not enough in a day to get all the nutrients your body needs. Do yourself a favour, type your details in to MFP and eat the calorie amount it sets for you. Eat anything you like, bread is not the devil over eating is.

• Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This sounds like water weight there is no way you can put on 7lb of fat in 2 days

weight loss is not linear there will be ups and downs. Maby just weigh your self less
    also did you log the wine?
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,730 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Relax, you didn't gain 7 pounds in 2 days unless you ate about 24,500 calories OVER your maintenance level. A bottle of wine isn't going to do it. ;) With only 10 pounds to lose, there's no need to restrict yourself to 800 calories a day, btw. You're setting yourself up for some bounce-back weight and probably a bit more. Just eat at a slight deficit and be a bit more patient. :)
  • FindingMyself92
    FindingMyself92 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As said multiple times above, you are way to low in calorie intake..

That's not enough to even give your body the proper nutrition it needs to function properly.

You also are hugely risking a large portion of, or more than, your weight loss to become an easy gainback.. (I did it as a teen and lost the weight.. and then gained it all plus some back when I started eating normal amounts of food again).

Please don't worry about 7lbs gained.. worry about the fact you are doing more harm to your body right now by the lifestyle you are choosing..
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. The weight gain is probably from sodium or water weight but...... the way you are eating now, I guarantee you that at some point you will start to gain weight back. You are eating in a way that is not sustainable. Eventually you will give up out of sheer hunger and frustration and put any lost weight back on. It is so much better, to eat in a way and in an amount that is sustainable, but can still cause you to lose weight. Personally, every single person that I have known, who has done a VLCD, ends up giving up, reagining all their lost weight, and blaming themselves somehow, because they werent "strong enough" to keep it up.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm agreeing with everyone else. Please stop the 800 calorie diet. The fact that you think you could truly gain 7 pounds in two days lets me know you do not have a healthy understanding of food and your body. It could be water weight, that time of the month, etc. Aim for a 0.5-1 pound loss per week depending on your stats. Be consistent with your logging. Get exercise. Net at least 1200 calories. You'll be okay.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Let's do a red flag check for disordered thinking. Dangerously low intake - check. Guilty over normal intake - check. Unhealthy reaction to water weight gain - check.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No you didn't. And why are you eating only 800 calories?

this
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I'm agreeing with everyone else. Please stop the 800 calorie diet. The fact that you think you could truly gain 7 pounds in two days lets me know you do not have a healthy understanding of food and your body. It could be water weight, that time of the month, etc. Aim for a 0.5-1 pound loss per week depending on your stats. Be consistent with your logging. Get exercise. Net at least 1200 calories. You'll be okay.

This.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    c20560 wrote: »
    I've been following a strict 800 cal diet for a few months now

Up your calories. More than likely your body is retaining water or is holding onto what it can.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake is way too low ! And that weight is just water weight. But you Have bigger problems to worry about right now, you are eating a dangerous vlcd and could be risking your health. Not to mention , all the muscle your losing right now ( you could end up skinny fat with loose hanging skin and untight body parts if you continue on eating this vlcd )
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    c20560 wrote: »
    I've been following a strict 800 cal diet for a few months now

Up your calories. More than likely your body is retaining water or is holding onto what it can.

"Retaining water", yes.

"Holding on to what it can", absolutely not. The body doesn't work that way.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You are retaining water. Why are you eating so few calories? Are you on a doctor supervised program?
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Go eat a Chinese buffett load up on protein like chicken pork beef. Eat all you can. Your body needs more calories. I been doing it once a month for a year now and lost 120 pounds. I stayed under 1200 calories the first 6 months now under 1500. You might want to try eating more trust me.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    Go eat a Chinese buffett load up on protein like chicken pork beef. Eat all you can. Your body needs more calories. I been doing it once a month for a year now and lost 120 pounds. I stayed under 1200 calories the first 6 months now under 1500. You might want to try eating more trust me.

Just wondering how loading up on all the sodium from a Chinese buffet is going to benefit someone who is retaining water already?

I agree the OP needs to eat more than she is eating but eating a lot of food once a month at a buffet isn't going to solve anything for her.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Let's do a red flag check for disordered thinking. Dangerously low intake - check. Guilty over normal intake - check. Unhealthy reaction to water weight gain - check.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources