Food scale, digital or spring?

Options
I think I need a new scale. Or at least mentally I need/want one. I have a spring one. You know the cheapo from the store. It has served its purpose. Recently the kids have adopted it for their own science fun as we homeschool and it has become the catch all for anything that it can hold. Needless to say based on the weight of my chicken I put on it I do not think it was correct. It does give me the excuse to get a new one. However, I do not know what kind or how to shop for one. Amazon is my friend... pros can you recommend?

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital scale at wal-mart for about $25. For me, Digital is better because with spring-loaded ones you have to eyeball and estimate, whereas digital will give you the exact number. Plus you can use the digital scale for cooking/baking. Well, well worth the investment.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Also, you can "tare out" digital scales (most of them you can... don't buy it if you can't because I promise the feature is worth it and not expensive at all).

So you put your bowl/plate on the scale and tare it out... then place food into bowl/plate and get a measurement of just food. With analog scales, you would have to do additional math. That just increases the risk for calculation errors.
  • Emaginesc
    Emaginesc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I guess one digital is just as good as the next digital?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kdonathen wrote: »

Pay attention to size (so the plate / bowl fits on it) and make sure it has a tare option (most do). Also, I suggest one that can do both English and metric because MFP has some stuff listed in grams and other things listed in ounces.
  • Emaginesc
    Emaginesc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    kdonathen wrote: »

Pay attention to size (so the plate / bowl fits on it) and make sure it has a tare option (most do). Also, I suggest one that can do both English and metric because MFP has some stuff listed in grams and other things listed in ounces.

TY kindly, I will look for those options. I plan on hitting Amazon.

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I like my digital scale, but it's the 3rd one I've bought..the other two had flat buttons that didn't always seem to work.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Digital all the way. I just bought a new one at Bed,Bath and Beyond for $21 total. It's big enough for a dinner plate or a pot, tares and had grams and ounces/pounds.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    digital
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Digital for sure... They are very sensitive, so you might want to keep it put away to keep the kiddos from playing with it. One good drop and they're toast calibration wise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    oxo
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have tried several and like the OXO one best. It tares quickly, is accurate and is easy to read. All the others require bending down and sometimes squinting to see the numbers, which is a pain. It's the best of the ones I tried, but is the most expensive. Second-best is the post office scale, which isn't easy to clean because it's not designed for food.

If you intend to put heavier items on it, check to see how much weight the scale can take, whatever brand you get.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    digital and I bought it on ebay I actually bought 1 for me and 1 for my daughter got the 2 for 15. free shipping.