food to eat when sore?

barbiex3
barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm in pretty good shape, and I tried a new workout yesterday, and now I'm very sore. I literally am struggling to get up. I was just wondering what is a good food to eat for muscle recovery? Should I go buy I protein shake or something?! like muscle milk!?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Sure, protein might help. I hear that it is best to consume it directly after the workout though. To help sore muscles, I don't eat. I do stretches and light exercising. I know it sounds rediculous when you can barely move, but as you use your muscles MORE, more 'goodies' get sent to them (repairing fluids, water, glycogen, whatever the heck goes on in the muscles) and the more 'goodies' they get, the better they feel... until the next morning when they are sore again. But only a little sore! Then I just do it again :)
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    I'm in pretty good shape, and I tried a new workout yesterday, and now I'm very sore. I literally am struggling to get up. I was just wondering what is a good food to eat for muscle recovery? Should I go buy I protein shake or something?! like muscle milk!?

Muscle milk is good you really want something with amino acids in there and BCAA's they help out a ton with recovery. Protien heavy foods like steak, chicken, fish will help also and stretching will help rid your muscles of the lactic acid that is making you stiff and sore.
  • khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    i heard the herbal rememdy black cohosh is really supposed to help with that but i havent tried it. also foods with dairy are also good for muscle repair and regrowth but it won't take away the soreness. take a couple anti-inflammatories and i hope you feel better soon!
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 429 Member
    WATER!
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    A physical therapist told me that to keep moving is the best thing to do with the sore muscles.
  • leighton1245
    WATER!

LOL explain how this will help rid soreness?
  • barbiex3
    A physical therapist told me that to keep moving is the best thing to do with the sore muscles.

I went on an hour long walk to day, and I thought I was going to fall over after. but after a while i guess you don't feel the pain as much
  • barbiex3
    WATER!

lmao. yahh. I'm pretty sure I already drink water...?
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 429 Member
    WATER!

It will help flush all of the toxins out of the body. Plus, it's good for you. :)
  • coltennis
    coltennis Posts: 7 Member
    My trainer always advised me that strawberries had qualities to relive sore muscles.

The BEST thing I ever did for sore muscles and it works lick a MIRACLE is to soak in Arbonne Sea Source bath salts...it pulls the lactic acid right out. Once I stopped working out while my trainer was out of town, then about died when she got back. I could not reach my arms above my head...had to get my daughter to pull my shirt off for me. Soaked for 20 minutes and VOILA! I couldnt believe it!
  • leighton1245
    WATER!

It will help flush all of the toxins out of the body. Plus, it's good for you. :)

You have no idea what causes sore muscles, i can tell you toxins dont cause sore muscles lol but what does is using muscles and when you use them and they are sore you get what you call lactic acid built up in your muscles causing them to be sore. So stretching and providing your body with correct protein allows the muscles to rebuild themselves. Im very very sure the OP drinks her fair share of water so this will not help in this area. :)
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    try a bcaa i use extend by scivation
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Depending on the time of day, I drink coffee as soon as possible after exercising. Apparently the caffeine helps reduce soreness.
  • barbiex3
    WATER!

You have no idea what causes sore muscles, i can tell you toxins dont cause sore muscles lol but what does is using muscles and when you use them and they are sore you get what you call lactic acid built up in your muscles causing them to be sore. So stretching and providing your body with correct protein allows the muscles to rebuild themselves. Im very very sure the OP drinks her fair share of water so this will not help in this area. :)

lol i went for the muscle milk :)
    thanks for the advice. my boyfriend is a coach & he says the same thing about the latic acid thing.
  • barbiex3
    WATER!

thanks for the advice. my boyfriend is a coach & he says the same thing about the latic acid thing.
  • leighton1245
    WATER!

No problem at all, just trying to share my education with people that need help :)
This discussion has been closed.