Need some motivation!!!

Options
Hi all! I've been on my fitness journey since March and I've lost almost 25lbs so far but unfortunately I also seem to be losing my motivation. :( I still have 40-50lbs to lose so I need to stay on track. I'm doing great with the food but its the exercise that I'm slacking on. Motivate me! Tell me your stories and what's worked for you!

Replies

• Butterfly122412
    Options
    Best thing to get exercise in quick and actually having fun is the Just Dance games for xbox, playstation, etc. I love doing those with my kids and you sweat! Plus, if you are super busy, you can fit it in anytime and in the comfort of your own home :)
  • AmyLynn06457
    AmyLynn06457 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I completely forgot about the Xbox! I think my 8 year old would love to do that with me. See? This is why I need you guys!
  • knox04
    knox04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting so if I don't see immediate results I get frustrated and give up! I'm trying though!
  • AmyLynn06457
    Options
    @knox04 I was the same way forever. This is the longest I've stuck with anything! Look up IIFYM. I've been doing the flexible dieting and honestly it's kept me on track!
  • kettlebells_and_cupcakes
    Options
    Hi AmyLynn I know how you feel you are not alone! I lost 17lbs in almost as many weeks with WW and then stagnated despite sticking to the plan and exercising. The pure frustration of getting on the scales every week with no losses really demoralised me. I have now given myself a kick up the butt, have quit WW and decided to track calories instead on here. Have also ramped up my exercise regime by investing in a Fitbit which is making me WANT to do my 10,000 steps a day, added in swimming and I have decided to attend fitness classes with friends as often as my job allows. I have also started the T25 home work out this week and even though it is hard it's good fun. maybe try changing the type of exercise you are doing to jolt your body into losing again. I'm hoping my changes and efforts over the next few weeks pay off but I have my motivation back for now :-)
  • jiveturkey32
    jiveturkey32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I find that the best thing to do is create a motivational playlist while you exercise. You know that song you love to sing and dance to in your car when nobody is looking? Make sure those songs come on and help you when the workout gets tough. I listen to Spotify and there are great playlists on there. Just Dance is a great one, I forgot about that :)

My problem seems to be the opposite though. I have started to love the gym... But I have trouble changing eating habits

Keep up the good work. You have lost 25 so far, and that is AMAZING! You rock!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Your motivation has to come from within, not without. External motivation only goes so far. You have to take a hard, honest look at why you're losing weight. And it doesn't have to be 'to get healthy'. That wasn't mine. Mine was getting my wedding pictures back and realizing I was fat in them. I didn't want that anymore, and all it took was looking at the picture on my desk to remind me. Find what YOUR goal is and YOUR reason for losing weight is and that will carry you much further. That's not to say external support isn't nice because it is. But you don't always have that, and if you go for a couple of months without a cheerleader, are you just going to give up? No! If you have your own internal motivation, you'll be able to keep going, even if you end up getting some negative nancys around you. You will have bad days, days where you go over by accident or unexpected dinners out or what have you. They don't make you a failure, just make you human. Log it and start fresh the next day.

Also, exercise isn't NEEDED for weight loss. It's good for other things, but you can lose weight without exercise. I did. I added walking earlier this year to try and get my asthma under better control, but with over 40lbs lost just by watching my calorie intake, it's fine to not exercise if you don't want to or can't. Bottom line is that weight loss is simply burning more calories than you consume. You can do that by either eating less calories, upping activity to burn more calories, or a combination of the two. I chose the first one and it worked just fine, so if you're getting burned out on exercise, drop it for a while. Focus on adjusting your diet to proper portions and getting that where you can hit your daily calorie goal just from eating, and then when you want to exercise again, just start slow. It's ok to start slow and build on it and it doesn't have to be all at once.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.
    You've lost an incredible amount of weigh already. Take yourself back to a few months ago, I bet you think you never would have got where you are now but you HAVE! You'll get to your goal, I promise. Just hang in there, keep your head up and stay strong. Think how proud of yourself you'll be :) Best of luck and stick to MFP! We'll help!
  • AmyLynn06457
    Options
    Thank you all! I know this is a journey that will take a while. I'll get there! :) It's pouring rain today but I'm determined to get my jog in! Thanks everyone!!
  • MisterRok
    MisterRok Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Put a couple weeks of effort into the exercise. It kinda sucks at first, but pretty soon you'll crave it. Once that happens, there's no turning back!