Help with Asaparagus

Options
Anyone have good asparagus recipes? We are having a "night in" date tonight, and we're having steak and asparagus. I don't just want to it plain and steamed, but I have no idea of any other ways to make it! Anything worked well for you guys?

Thanks In Advance!! :)

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bake it with olive oil,parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. MM
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    oooo I do! It's scrummy.

Orange and Wine Asparagus

3 Oranges
    TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
    Olive Oil
    TBSP Red Wine or Red Wine Vinegar
    Olives (stuffed or not your choice, we had garlic stuffed)
    1 Shallot

Place chopped shallot into a small bowl and finely zest one of the oranges over the top.

Cut away skin and pith from both oranges and cut into segments by cutting down between the membranes. Work over another bowl to catch the juices. Set segments aside. Add 2 tablespoons of the collected orange juice to the shallots and zest, plus a pinch of salt and leave to marinate. Meanwhile, snap the tough ends off the asparagus.

Bring a wide pan of water to a rolling boil and blanch for 1-2 mins until half-cooked. (I skipped it as the Asparagus was ripe and ready but it’s worth it if you want to).

Lift out onto a tea towel to dry, and while still warm rub over a little olive oil and salt. Heat a griddle pan until extremely hot. Lay on the asparagus and grill for a couple of minutes on each side until nicely charred and cooked through. Finish vinaigrette by whisking in olive to taste (approx 5 tbsp) and more salt and pepper as desired.

Taste and check the balance of oil to vinegar. Serve the asparagus warm dressed with the orange segments and vinaigrette.
  • kimnaaron4ever
    Options
    My hubby usually just grills it while he's grilling the steak. We drizzle a little olive oil on it & season it with garlic powder, salt & pepper and wrap it up in aluminum foil and stick it right on the grill. It's really yummy!
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    hi love Asparagus ....icook it in a grill pan with low fat spray oil with black pepper ....delicious !! enjoy:smile:
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Small amount of Oil...whatever kind you prefer

Let marinade for a bit, and then grill it.

Simple and good.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I just throw it on a cookie sheet, spray with cooking spray (or drizzle with olive oil), add some salt and pepper (I like kosher salt for the larger grains), then roast it at 425 until it's bright green with a bit of darkness (almost black) beginning to show. The time varies a lot based on the thickness of the asparagus -- I'd say 10 minutes is average, but the best thing is to keep a "nose" on it (once you start smelling it, start checking it).

Grated lemon and/or orange rind over the top AFTER it's roasted is a nice touch.
  • sherrileern
    Options
    I roast mine, have never had it steamed since! You can do it in the oven or on the grill. Use olive oil and some seasonings, or just salt & pepper. Place on cookie sheet for about 10 mins on 425. The ends get all crispy and nutty, really yummy! On the grill, I use a grill sheet with small holes so they don't fall through.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I love, love, love asparagus. My favorite way to cook it is simple but delish.

Heat your oven as high as it will go. (I set mine on 500, convection bake.)

Rinse the asparagus and snap off the tough ends.

Coat it with a little olive oil. I use a Misto sprayer but you could also put the asparagus in a bowl then drizzle over a half teaspoon or teaspoon of olive oil. Mix it. (I use my fingers.) It's amazing how little oil you use.

Season it if you like. I use a little coarsely ground salt or some fajita seasoning.

Roast it for about 9 minutes. (Test it after 8 minutes in case your oven is hotter than mine. A fork should pierce it but there should be a little resistance. There's nothing worse than mushy asparagus.)

That's it. Wonderful eating.

Enjoy.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    If you can spare a few calories, I love them roasted in the oven! Snap off the tough parts but leave the rest whole. Put the asparagus in a large bowl/large, shallow baking dish that you can have them lie flat and drizzle with some olive oil. Not too much as it will just coat them when you push them around and they rub up against each other. Then lay them out on a sheet pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Roast them in a 350 oven. Just keep an eye on them depending on how fat they are. You don't want to over cook them but they should start to lightly toast at the edges. I think they take less than 15 minutes as a guess. I never time them. If you are in hot weather, pull out your barbecue and prepare them the same way except leave off the parmesan cheese until they come off the grill. Seriously we grill ALL veggies from carrots, sliced beets, sliced sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, you name it like this! If it food, it goes on the grill! Just make sure you cut things and lay things out so they don't fall through! We always get rave reviews! "What's your secret?" Olive oil, salt, and pepper! Good luck!
  • revfitcbenavides
    Options
    I say grill it! Just add a tad of olive oil...little garlic season from Ms Dash. A little salt, a little peppa, and you are good to go! I've been doing this a lot lately and it seems I cannot get enough Asparagus. Good luck!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I say grill it! Just add a tad of olive oil...little garlic season from Ms Dash. A little salt, a little peppa, and you are good to go! I've been doing this a lot lately and it seems I cannot get enough Asparagus. Good luck!

I was basically gonna say the same thing! Nothing beats throwing asparagus on the grill!
  • alicia826
    alicia826 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks for all of your yummy recipes! We moved into an apartment, and we're not allowed to grill here... So It looks like I'm going to try baking my asparagus! I appreciate all of your help everyone!
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    bump
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Asaparagus - the fastest vegetable in the world!
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    roast it in the oven for 5-7 minutes

put olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper on it and let soak for a few minutes before putting in oven

seriously yummy
  • jackieh127
    Options
    If we can't grill we normally just bake asparagus on a cookie sheet with a little EVOO and some S&P. Simple, but delicous! You can actually taste the asparagus! :-)
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you have a grill? I cut it up and put it in tinfoil drizzled with olive oil and sprinkle a bunch of seasonings on it, whatever goes with your main dish. I recently discovered Mrs. Dash salt free southwest chipotle seasoning and it's DELICIOUS, adds a little kick and flavor.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My hubby usually just grills it while he's grilling the steak. We drizzle a little olive oil on it & season it with garlic powder, salt & pepper and wrap it up in aluminum foil and stick it right on the grill. It's really yummy!

This - only we just use olive oil, salt and pepper and toss it on the grill so it's get's grill marks too. (just make sure to put it across the grate so they don't fall through! :laugh:

Also good are grilled sliced onions, zucchini and/or mushrooms (all drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper). :drinker:
  • sweetsteph03
    sweetsteph03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cook it in a pan with a little EVOO, BASALMIC, MUSHROOMS, GARLIC and ONION! SOOOO good!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I like it roasted or grilled and just before serving give it a plash of balsamic vinegar, and grate some lemon peel over it.