Going to Vent a little

Options
Why can I not get out of bed in the morning and go to the gym. I purposely went to bed at 8:30pm last night so I could get up at 4:45am to hit the gym so I am home in time to get kids up and ready for school, get lunches made and myself ready for work. What time did I get up? 6:00am. I have no time to do anything at that time of morning. Why am I so lazy.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    well, why didn't you get up at 4:45? presumably you set your alarm, it went off and you thought...?
  • nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ok so ur prepared night before, maybe gym is intimidating to you? maybe just try walking or running in place @ home?or put in earbuds & say screw what you think anyone else is saying. most people @ gym are in their own worlds so theyre focused on themselves really.u can do this! exercising gives u a huge energy boost & sounds like with ur hectic morning u could use it;)
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You're not lazy. It's simply your habitual routine to get up later and as the song goes...you're a hard habit to breeeeeeak.

Keep at it.

Or workout in the evening when the kids are in bed. Personally, I hate working out early in the morning.
  • electrickazoo
    electrickazoo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I find it's it's always easier to get up at your usual time vs. earlier. When I changed my starting time at work to earlier it took a good week of feeling like a zombie and forcing myself out of bed to actually accept my new wake up time and feel normal. Always waking up in the dark is also harder, although I'm not sure there's much you can do about that beyond turning on the light right away.
    So, keep at it - you'll eventually make the change. In the meantime, just work out later in the day (even if you don't want to)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    It's hard. I've been doing this for 90 some days and i still inchworm/roll my way out of bed.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I started getting up at 4am on Sept 1st so I could workout before I homeschool my daughter ...The alarm goes off I get up eat breakfast wait a lil bit then workout ...You can do it ...just don't hit the snooze button :p
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I gave up on working out in the morning...you read so often that it is the best time, but not if you can't get there and then feel bad about it! What about going to the gym on your way home in the afternoon? pack your gym bag and have it in the car.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I trained myself a long time ago to not sleep through my alarm (I was probably about 12). I now wake up around the same time even if I don't set an alarm. Making it a habit will eventually make it easier.

One thing, put your alarm across the room. You must get out of bed to turn it off. DO NOT GET BACK INTO BED (this is especially hard in the winter when it's cold...)!! Lay out your workout clothes and anything else you need in the morning the night before so that it's easier in the morning and you don't have to think about it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Keep going to bed early... eventually you'll catch up on sleep and hopefully be more inclined to get up when that alarm goes off. GIve it a week of 8:30 - 6:00 with no intention of getting up early though haha.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've said it before: every time I tried to force my exercise early in the morning, I would flame out after a few weeks. My natural predilections are to stay up late and sleep until the last possible minute.

I have been very successful working out over lunch or in the evening. This option doesn't seem to get a lot of love around here, but I'm a firm believer. My workouts are better and more intense, too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I've said it before: every time I tried to force my exercise early in the morning, I would flame out after a few weeks. My natural predilections are to stay up late and sleep until the last possible minute.

I have been very successful working out over lunch or in the evening. This option doesn't seem to get a lot of love around here, but I'm a firm believer. My workouts are better and more intense, too.

Meh; workout whenever it works for you. The important thing is being able to work it into your schedule somewhere so that you can reach your goals.
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    Are all your kids in school? Why not go to the gym after you drop them off in the morning?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to go to the gym in the morning? Is that the only time available or is it because you think you should? I personally would NEVER get up that early to work out, it's just not worth it to me! ^_^ Why go to the gym at all? There's lots of things you can do at home, such as after your kids go to bed. There's tons of free videos on Youtube for exercise and unless the gym has a specific machine you need to use, you might find the videos easier to fit into your day.
  • althea5883
    althea5883 Posts: 40 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have to be at work at 6am and for the last five weeks I have been getting up at 3:45am to get to the gym by 4am so I can work out for an hour, go home, shower and change and be at work on time. The first week was the absolute hardest. However, I would think of the success stories here on mfp and think to myself that I want to be one of those someday so that helped me to get my butt out of bed and to the gym.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    nannersp61 wrote: »
    Are all your kids in school? Why not go to the gym after you drop them off in the morning?
    They are in school, but no time after I drop them off at school, have to get to work. I like going to the gym because if I work out at home, I have too many distractions. I will think of something to get me moving.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Why not flip your routine? Instead of getting up extra early to go to the gym, why not just go to bed later? Instead of getting up at 4:45 - which is tough, then going, coming back, showering, off to work. Why not try doing it before bed? I also tried working out at lunch time, and driving to the gym from work, but I found one I showered, etc, I only had time for a 30 minute work out, and it seemed like a whole lot of effort!
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    To be blunt......you don't want it bad enough.....think about that.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I can not get up before 6 on a regular. I tried it and end up sleeping through the alarm. I will even shut it off in my sleep. Mornings are hard. So for me after work is better generally, but lately had trouble with that so moved to mornings. Now I do a combination and plan it.

I get up in the morning when I can, if not then after work. I can workout at home or gym, but if I go to office and want to workout at gym then I take clothes with me and go straight to gym. My job also doesn't allow for sameness and I have adjust accordingly. I also don't have a life generally that lends itself to same thing always, so I have to balance accordingly.

Like today, planned to go to gym in the morning, snooze button, over and over, finally got out of bed 2 hours later. No gym. I am working from home today, back to back meetings all day. So after work I need to walk to CVS, then will come back, clean and lift :) See a plan to make sure I am moving.

Be flexible and creative and keep going :)