Scared to take Prednizone

Options
I have severe sinus issues and my doctor has prescribed a three week course of antibiotics accompanied by three weeks of Prednisone. Knowing that a side effect is possible weight gain.... I hate to take it but know I have to in order to treat my sinuses.
Has anyone dealt with this issue before? It's only three weeks but I've heard and read of fat face and belly weight gains. uggg

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Is that steroids? If so, I had to take them and I drank tons and tons of water and didnt gain anything. Just drink WATER
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    A three week regimen shouldn't give you all of those horrible side effects you read about, it's more for long term use (months)
  • italiansweetheart
    italiansweetheart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You do have to be really careful, I took it for almost 6 months because of my Lupus, and gained about 15lbs.
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 10-day course, not quite so bad, and thus far it's been ok. 20 mg twice a day for 5 days, then 20 mg once a day for 5 days. I start my fifth day tomorrow and I'm holding steady. But maybe it's not a high enough dose for weight gain, or long enough duration.
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    Well I've never taken that particular medicine but if it makes you feel any better I am on 3 medications that I take every day that cause weight gain. And it is always still possible to lose weight despite that being a side effect. So don't worry about gaining just worry about healing and trying to stay on track with your eating :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love Pred. I've been on it a few times for allergic reaction, sinus infection and ear infection and I get the most amazing euphoric feeling for it. Some folks get mood swings. Mine only swung up! Not high, just HAPPY. It rocked! :laugh:

Don't fear the side effects. If there's any weight gain, it's just water retention and will go away when you're finished. And for the most part, weight gain only comes from long term use, not the short, tapered dose course you'll be on.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    Prednisone, when taken on a short term regimen and tapered correctly, should not cause weight gain or "fat face" syndrome. Those symptoms come from taking the steriod for many months at high doses. Just be sure to drink more water than normal if you are worried about temporary weight gain as you might experience a small amount of water retention. You'll be glad to have the prednisone once your sinuses clear up! It does wonders for severe inflammation. Good luck!
  • kml07071
    kml07071 Posts: 29
    Options
    Everyone is different. 3 weeks can deff. give you side effects just keep an eye on it. Alot of people have bad reactions after only a week to is so it is am important med to keep an eye on.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    Also, it tastes disgusting!! You can take all the pills at one time with one gulp of water, instead of taking them throughout the day. Make sure you take them with food and a full glass of water.
  • im_victoria_duhh
    Options
    I've had to take Prednisone since I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2008 and it has contributed to my weight gain simply because it increased my appetite. You shouldn't have to worry about side effects if you're only taking it for 3 weeks.
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    DON"T DO IT UNLESS YOUR DYING!!!!-imo I took it for bronchitis, it sent me into major panic attacks and it took me almost a full year to recover and get back to normal. Everybody's different, but I would say don't mess with steroids unless you absolutely have to! Good luck!!
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I usually get a nose spray like Nasonex when I get sinus infections now. It treats the immediate area without effecting my whole system. Maybe ask for that instead.
  • coltennis
    coltennis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great and reassuring reply! Thank you!:smile:
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I recently had to take Prenizone for 10 days for my asthma. I had the same concerns, but I didn't experience any weight gain. Do your best to be diligent with your calories and exercise goals, and you should have nothing to worry about :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I had to take them for a bit when I have severe strep a few weeks ago.
    The reason they cause weight gain is because they cause appetite increase, too.
    Stick to your calorie requirement, workout the same, and you'll be fine.
    I still lost just the same as I was on them.
    You'll be fine.