I'm not doing this anymore

Options
Maybe this is something that only a parent would get.
So I would go out to eat with my family, and no doubt I would end up finishing what they did not eat (Wife and 2 little guys (8, 12)) Man.. I just really hated to throw that away knowing it cost good money...and I'm not like broke or anything..just..well..you know.
So one of the things that I have been NOT doing since I started my diet is that.
I didn't even really think about it till the other day when I was at Chick-fila..my wife was like "Do you want the rest of my sandwich"..my first inclination was "Hell yeah I want the rest of that sandwich!" BUT instead I said..."Thats the devil half a sandwich! I want none of it!" :)
(BTW for those of you that don't know me, I really don't think that the devil has anything to do with that sandwich, I just joke a lot)
Guess the point is..don't finish other peoples stuff.

Replies

• heidio2
    heidio2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had to change that mindset too. I wasn't eating other people's food, but I felt bad throwing food away. I realized that it was paid for either way, but throwing it away when I was done was going to be more of a benefit than if I ate it. Good mindset!
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good advice. Every little bit helps!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Way to go! All the little things add up and that's not so little! I love that they have calories on their menu board now.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I don't know how, but somehow I became a plate-cleaner, too. Usually just my own (you know, finishing ungodly large restaurant portions) but sometime also finishing up for my son. Pretty sure this was part of my weight-gaining problem.

Now I am not shy about splitting my meal in half and asking for a to-go box (and for my son's leftovers, too)--less waste, and not so much waist for me, either. :smile:
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    When I was little, people still smoked in restaurants. My Nana was a smoker and a very thin person - the minute she had eaten what she wanted from her plate she would light up, and ash into her plate - so she wouldn't pick from it. Gross, I know - but it kept her from eating another bite :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I hate food waste, I'd have taken it for later. Well done for not eating it :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Its hard, for year mom said to "clear your plate". The wife said "there is not enough to save, go ahead and finish it". I have reduced what goes on my plate never go back for more. What gets thrown out or saved has nothing to do with what I eat anymore
  • heidio2
    heidio2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I also started splitting meals at restaurants with my daughter. Easy on the calories & the wallet
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I hear you. My daughter didn't finish her ice cream sundae the other day... and I left it alone. It's not always easy though!
  • dljones67
    dljones67 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Same as mitch16 here. Now I plan on taking at least half my meals out, home. Either I eat it for lunch the next day or hubby eats later that night lol. I just hate to waste food. I'm sure from growing up with not much but love. :)
  • jsmestflowers
    jsmestflowers Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thinking back on it I really do suspect that was what was behind a lot of my weight gain...you know I was eating one and a half meals at a time... sneaks up on you.... Well the sneaking days are done
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Lord I love chick-fila, 2 thumbs up for sayin no to that ;)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'd have eaten it and logged it. But I'm a university student so I'm a lover of free food ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My little children used to automatically hand me their toast crusts.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Geez, this is how I gained a lot of the weight I have right now. Eating my wife's left overs. Bad habit to get into! My step daughter always gave me her pizza crusts. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Hey...I thought the French fries I steal from my fiance's plate had no calories...???
  • katiegud
    katiegud Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been splitting stuff with my daughter for this exact reason. It helps a lot. Half a kid's meal isn't a lot of food!
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I am a notorious leftover fry eater. It is soooo hard for me to throw those French fries in the trash- for several reasons- I love them, seems a waste, and they've been paid for. I can really relate! I've done it with other food too- even my own leftovers lol. Sometimes I have to ask one of my family members to physically move the plate from my reach.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @North44 , about asking family members to move the plate, I ask for this with garlic toast.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @North44 , about asking family members to move the plate, I ask for this with garlic toast.

I hate it when one of my kids doesn't eat his/her garlic toast. It kills me! Lol
    How can they leave that buttery toasty piece of deliciousness on the plate and not even be tempted? Baaaah!