One piece of equipment

Options
I love working out at home! I have free weights, a weight bench and a stationary bike. I want to add one other piece of equipment. What is your advice? Treadmill, rowing machine, pilates equipment? My goal is something for cardio...

Replies

• marciaholland77
    marciaholland77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love my rebounder, it's good for every part of my body.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    If you prefer to be on your feet, go with an elliptical or treadmill.

Treadmills can help you keep a pace. Treadmills can be noisy. You can run outside if climate permits.

Ellipticals require the user to keep a pace. Ellipticals are quiet. They give your joints a break from other days of hard pounding exercises.

I like to be on my feet and use the rower as part of a circuit. I have never tried Pilates.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You have a bike, so your remaining options are treadmill, elliptical, or rower. The one to get is the one you actually like and will use.

Check out a local gym, and get a 1 month visitor pass/membership, and try out each type. Then you can make an informed decision.
  • jez_4ever
    jez_4ever Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a Smith Machine, but that's because I'd like to do more heavy lifting. For cardio, I'd recommend a Precor. It's not bad on your joints and can be a full body workout.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would personally choose the rowing machine because it kicks my butt every time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    jez_4ever wrote: »
    I'd go for a Smith Machine, but that's because I'd like to do more heavy lifting. For cardio, I'd recommend a Precor. It's not bad on your joints and can be a full body workout.

heavy lifting should not be done in a smith machine, it wont allow you to go in a natural plain of motion and can lead to injury. I would suggest a power cage and weights instead, safe due to the catch bars, and much better than smith machine for range of motion, plain of movement and increases in strength.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I say rowing machine, but that is because I currently have a treadmill and Max trainer and want a rower.

For me, a rower provides a more full body workout along with the cardio, so it is a win win.
  • Queen_Vanellope
    Queen_Vanellope Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If I had to buy one and only one, I would go with rowing machine. It works pretty much your whole body and isn't too high intensity for the days you're not feeling well.
  • jez_4ever
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    jez_4ever wrote: »

heavy lifting should not be done in a smith machine, it wont allow you to go in a natural plain of motion and can lead to injury. I would suggest a power cage and weights instead, safe due to the catch bars, and much better than smith machine for range of motion, plain of movement and increases in strength.

I thought the Smith Machine had the catch bars...In that case, I agree 100% - gotta have the catch bar!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Bicycle - more fun than the stationary one.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    A concept 2 rower, even a second hand one. All the cardio you will ever need. Obviously its the one you like and will use, but the thing is the rower isnt used much in the gym and its soemthing that takes a bit of getting used to. If you dont like it they hold their value well and are easy to resell.

The only drawback is they can be a bit noisy, so you could look at a water rower as an alternative, which has a far comfier seat, but is much quieter.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Free weights work your core and help with balance. Machines do all the balancing for you.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would get the stepper that is the moving stairs. Far and away my go to cardio machine. Affectionately known as the moving stairs of doom.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A hula hoop.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A hula hoop.

Ha!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    If you prefer to be on your feet, go with an elliptical or treadmill.

Treadmills can help you keep a pace. Treadmills can be noisy. You can run outside if climate permits.

Ellipticals require the user to keep a pace. Ellipticals are quiet. They give your joints a break from other days of hard pounding exercises.

I like to be on my feet and use the rower as part of a circuit. I have never tried Pilates.

^^this one^^
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    A pull up bar is all the equipment you need. You have yourself. Pushups, squats, lunges, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, walking, jogging, running, burpees, jump squats, hip bridges, planks, crunches, sit ups, the the beat goes on...
  • jez_4ever
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Nice! Now, I just have to save up my $$ :smile:

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    My goal is something for cardio...