PACKAGING versus SCALE: 1 Tortilla(61G) says 180cals but when I weigh 1 tortilla it's 94 GRAMS!!

Options
Tortilla packaging says 1 Tortilla (61G) is 180 calories but today when I weighed 1 tortilla it read 94 grams. That would mean that 1 tortilla is 277 Calories. Almost 100 calories more than what the packaging states!

What is right?? Do you go by the packaging or go by your scale? I ended up cutting about 1/4 of my tortilla shell off just to get it down to 61 grams. I feel a bit jipped! Couldn`t even enjoy a full ROUND tortilla lol

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This situation is exactly why you see so many people recommending that people weigh their foods, especially if they are not losing weight when they think they are eating at a deficit.

The label is telling you that 61 grams of tortilla (an average size, according to them) has 180 calories. If the tortilla you are eating is 94 grams then you need to log it as such along with its true value of 277 calories or cut yourself a 61 gram serving, as you did.

It's a bit crazy how far off some of the packaged servings can be which is why weighing as much of your food as possible is a good idea.

I'd have to assume that there's a few 40ish gram tortillas in the package, or you got less of them than the total number of servings listed so that it comes close to the total number of grams listed on the package.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's the same with any packaged or premade food. Restaurant meals will likely be even more inaccurate as there is less control over portions and additions. It's all but impossible to get every item exactly the same shape and size.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Tortillas are all different shapes and sizes so that makes sense with what your experiencing. I make them from scratch and sometimes their thicker or larger than the next one. It all depends on how I roll them out. Most Tortillas are pressed and there are inconsistencies. Again, this is why its good to weigh everything. Good catch!!!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I see this with fruit that is packaged in a clamshell, like berries. Those six ounce containers usually have closer to 8 ounces and that can add up if you are eating them consistenly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    That's why I weigh everything. I've seen some '140 calories' English muffins come closer to 200 calories... it kinda sucks when you've planned out your day too!

Like Graze snacks... love them, but they're up to 80 extra calories per pack...

Honestly 90% of the stuff I buy (bread, granola bars, tortillas) are heavier than what the package says. The only things I've found that are usually accurate are cookies and crackers (except those Brownie Crisps from TJ... one serving ended up 37g or something instead of 29).

Got to add - probably not a huge difference for most people who have a big deficit and don't eat their exercise calories back.. but my deficit is enough to lose 1.5 pound a month on a good month, so yeah, I could easily wipe that off if I didn't weigh everything I can.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this... I've never weighed my Tortillas. I'm going to start weighing everything from now on. ;-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    FemmeAndi wrote: »
    Tortilla packaging says 1 Tortilla (61G) is 180 calories but today when I weighed 1 tortilla it read 94 grams. That would mean that 1 tortilla is 277 Calories. Almost 100 calories more than what the packaging states!

What is right?? Do you go by the packaging or go by your scale? I ended up cutting about 1/4 of my tortilla shell off just to get it down to 61 grams. I feel a bit jipped! Couldn`t even enjoy a full ROUND tortilla lol

this is exactly why people say to weigh things...the calories per the grahams is correct irrelevant of whether they call that 1 tortilla or not.

you can get packages of chicken and it will say 1 breast - 4 ounces for the serving...4 ounces is the correct serving, but I've yet to find an actual chicken breast that actually weighs 4 ounces...most are closer to 8
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Craziness! So happy I decided to weigh it!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep - you know those people who can't lose weight but won't use a food scale because they only eat packaged food - this is the problem.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    weigh everything. So many items weigh much more than what they claim.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Food labeling inconsistencies make me mad. We put so much owness on an individual, but they can't even rely on food companies to give accurate reports. We need another Upton Sinclair