Medications that cause Weight Gain

Options
I am on a medication that a side effect is weight gain. While it hasn't been too bad, maybe about 8 pounds since I started taking it a year ago, I still find it harder to lose weight while on it and going off isn't an option. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there much I can do about it?

Replies

• lmvrbaby
    lmvrbaby Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I am on medication for migraine control, along with a couple others and gained weight, but persistence in eating right and exercising I am just now starting to lose it little by little. You could always ask your dr if there is another medication for whatever you need that may not have a weight gain for a side effect. I did and some got changed but not all. Good luck!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Yes. More of us then you may realize. Before the medication I could drop weight like nothing. Now....It does not like to budge. Just read labels, log your food faithfully, exercise a little more, watch the snacking without thinking and remember we are here for you. All my best to you!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Yes I am on tablets for depression & anxiety & am finding it rather hard to lose!!
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you mine is from the meds that I take for my Migraines it said that only 11% have weight gain it is taking longer to take off the weight
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I have been on prednisone, amongst other drugs, for Rheumatoid Arthritis for 15 years. I have also been taking high-dose Seroquel and Depakote for Bi-Polar Disorder for over two years now and my weight refuses to budge. I gained 20 lbs the first month of taking Seroquel and Depakote. While I would love to drop the weight, I (my family and the local PD) like to stay sane and off the depressive/manic rollercoaster. All I can do is exercise daily and watch what I eat. That's pretty much what all of my doctors have told me as well. When my body is ready to let go of the extra weight, it will.