Weight training first weeks of ketogenic diet..?

Options
I just started the ketogenic diet 4 days ago. I'm 5'5', 20 years old and weigh 121lbs. I'm eating around 30g of carbs a day with a high fat intake and moderate protein. I usually life heavy 4-5days a week for 1.5 hours. Since going on this diet, I've been to the gym once, and I "hit the wall" big time during the middle of my workout. In fact it was more like "slammed head first into a brick wall". I didn't really expect it so I cut my workout short to do some research…
If I understand correctly, the body takes about 2-3 weeks to get into a fully ketogenic state where it burns fat rather than carbs. And during the adaptation time, you should avoid going above your carbs as this just slows down the process… A lot of people recommend that those who are on "low-carb" diets and are heavy lifting should eat around 100g carbs/day with the majority being consumed right before and right after your workout.
I can do that, no problem. But for my body to transition into a ketogenic state, do I have to keep my carbs extra-low and just not train for the next few weeks?! And only then start adding extra carbs pre and post workout? I really don't want to miss that much training time, but I want my body to become more efficient at burning fat. I also suffer from really bad blood sugar ups and downs when I eat "lots" of carbs, I crash really hard and fast (even with the "good" carbs) which is primarily why I started this diet. Since I've dramatically cut my carbs and upped my fat intake, I haven't crashed like I normally do a few times during the day (except that one time working out, but it felt different, more just extreme fatigue then "Oh my god I'm going to faint")
Thanks for any answers, hope I was clear!

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it can take 2-3 weeks to go fully into the ketogenic state, but it can take even longer for your body to truly be efficient at burning the fat instead of carbs. At 5'5" and 121, it's not like you have a ton of fat to burn, so to help, just try and keep your calories up. If you haven't already, you'll go through the "keto-flu" as well. If the workout that you reference was shortly after starting, this could have been the reason for that.
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just curious if your diabetic, since you stated you have sugar hi and lows? I agree with McCloud33 Keto-flu, I do keto from time to time, when I do I will increase my Potassium, sodium and BCAA's. This help somewhat relieve workout fatigue. Hang in there, once your body adjusts you'll be fine.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    From what I've read, it can take 2-3 weeks to go fully into the ketogenic state, but it can take even longer for your body to truly be efficient at burning the fat instead of carbs. At 5'5" and 121, it's not like you have a ton of fat to burn, so to help, just try and keep your calories up. If you haven't already, you'll go through the "keto-flu" as well. If the workout that you reference was shortly after starting, this could have been the reason for that.

So should I continue to workout even though I have basically no energy at the moment? Or should I leave workouts until my body is better adjusted to the diet?
    And I have been going through bad keto flu for the last few days, extreme cravings being the biggest symptom. Very similar feelings as when I quit smoking. But today seems to be better, just a bit of brain fog.
  • LadyTalulah
    Options
    Just curious if your diabetic, since you stated you have sugar hi and lows? I agree with McCloud33 Keto-flu, I do keto from time to time, when I do I will increase my Potassium, sodium and BCAA's. This help somewhat relieve workout fatigue. Hang in there, once your body adjusts you'll be fine.

I have wondered if I was diabetic because of how hard I would crash but I'm also a hypochondriac and have convinced myself that I have had many diseases in the past. And I have no risk factors for diabetes whatsoever and it doesn't run in my family. The sensitivity to the ups and downs really only started after my bout of anorexia 2 years ago (all better now though haha) and I think that just screwed up my hormone levels. That's why I think this diet is best, it keeps my insulin therefore my hormones stable!
    What about workouts? When can I get back to my normal routine?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

So should I continue to workout even though I have basically no energy at the moment? Or should I leave workouts until my body is better adjusted to the diet?
    And I have been going through bad keto flu for the last few days, extreme cravings being the biggest symptom. Very similar feelings as when I quit smoking. But today seems to be better, just a bit of brain fog.

You're probably just going to have to scale back your workouts. Carbs are energy, without them your performance is going to suffer (forever). Maybe scale back the weights and work your way back up? Drop the volume a bit? Gonna have to do some trial-and-error.

I've done several stints of minimal carbs and I had to drop my workout volume by about 75% to be able to survive. And even then it's still harder than normal. Nature of the beast.

If you want to drop carbs without TOTALLY killing your workouts, I'd recommend either a moderate amount of carbs (just a ballpark figure, 100g a day) or some sort of carb cycling/refeeds (1-2 carb loads a week to keep your glycogen levels up). If you have insulin resistance issues or an overactive insulin response (which it sounds like) then this will still help. Or just do as I initially mentioned and scale back the workout expectations. Going heavy 4-5 days a week for 90 minutes on no carbs and presumably a calorie deficit is going to be horrific, no matter what.
  • LadyTalulah
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    If you want to drop carbs without TOTALLY killing your workouts, I'd recommend either a moderate amount of carbs (just a ballpark figure, 100g a day) or some sort of carb cycling/refeeds (1-2 carb loads a week to keep your glycogen levels up). If you have insulin resistance issues or an overactive insulin response (which it sounds like) then this will still help.

If I do have an overactive insulin response then won't carb cycling just continue to mess up my response? Some days super high and others super low seems quite taxing on the body!
    I like the idea of 100g/day though and keeping it at that. Is this sustainable long term?
    Thanks!
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The wall u hit is actually ur body accessing energy from fat cells which is harder to do so.u feel like a lead weight. My 1st keto workout was awful I couldn't move but once ur body gets used to it u will be fine. Fat for energy means ur body has to work harder.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Until you are fully fat adapted I would scale right back on the workouts - a couple of weeks isn't too long.

There are some great keto groups on MFP that should be able to help with carb timing for your training days.
  • LadyTalulah
    Options
    The wall u hit is actually ur body accessing energy from fat cells which is harder to do so.u feel like a lead weight. My 1st keto workout was awful I couldn't move but once ur body gets used to it u will be fine. Fat for energy means ur body has to work harder.

Ok, at least I know it gets easier from here! Thanks
  • LadyTalulah
    Options
    Until you are fully fat adapted I would scale right back on the workouts - a couple of weeks isn't too long.

There are some great keto groups on MFP that should be able to help with carb timing for your training days.

Agh, I think I'm just a bit paranoid of losing too much muscle mass.. Even if it is just for a few weeks, I haven't trained that well all summer and I've just started getting on track again in the last month..
    I have joined a few LC and Keto groups, unfortunately they're not that active! But thanks :)
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I personally have made some of my best strength gains during Keto, which I do for about 90 days, first couple weeks I do not drop weight or go light, but rather cut my sets back from 5 to 3. After I feel better, right back to 5 sets wwith 30 seconds rests and heavy.
    If this is new to you its intimidating, but as with anything you will find your comfort zone. I have been doing this for a few years now. Keep in mind that fat is a much better source of energy over the long run (9 calories per gram VS carbs at 4) numbers dont lie, but carbs do have there place. They help transport nutrients to the muscles and are great for recovery; but if keto is what you are doing stay away from grains of any sort, simple sugars, pastas, etc. Plan on getting all of your carbs from veggies not fruit while on Keto.