Advice needed re best exercise for very overweight person

Options
I currently weigh 233lbs and am not very tall. I started walking at least 30 minutes a day to help lose weight and joined a local group that goes walking and runs a beginner's running group once a week; I enjoy the group as it has helped me make friends after being very isolated. I'm also having personal training in a gym twice a week which is helping with my general strength and fitness. However, my trainer is very down on me walking as much as I am and wants me to do other stuff; I am doing some of the exercises we do at the gym at home and have ordered resistance bands to help, I have some Tae Bo dvds I can do at home but I am at a loss to know what else to do whilst I'm so overweight (6 stone over for my height) and lack the confidence to go to the gym on my own to do the program drawn up for me. My trainer suggested aqua aerobics but all the local pools mostly run classes on weekday mornings whilst I'm at work and the only week night class clashes with my walking group. I'm also really unhappy about wearing a swimming costume; going to the gym twice a week is struggle enough, worrying about people looking at me. I used to enjoy running but know at the moment that's not achievable; I thought walking would be ideal as it's free, fits into my schedule and is low impact but the PT thinks it's not good for me. Any suggestions or advice (apart from manning up and getting to the gym on my own to use the bike and cross trainer?); money is a bit of an issue too as I'm spending every spare penny of the training.

Replies

• goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    my trainer is very down on me walking as much as I am and wants me to do other stuff;

I assume that your PT thinks that you could use that 30 minutes a day on an activity that would burn more calories than walking, which would allow you to reach your goal more quickly.

While that might be true, this is the part that caught my eye:
    I enjoy the group as it has helped me make friends after being very isolated.

Your walking group is doing something healthy, you like the people, and you're getting emotional support from it. Don't underestimate the value of a healthy social network.

You are more likely to stick with something you enjoy, even if it isn't the most efficient workout.

If the PT doesn't see that, then you might want to ask yourself if this PT is the best fit for you.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Walking is great, you can make lots of progress, keep doing it. Aqua exercise is also good because it takes the weight off your joints but not everyone has access to a pool program. The best exercise is the one you'll do. Maybe ask trainer WHY he thinks it's too much?
  • kirstym1108
    kirstym1108 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think she feels that I'm doing too much walking and could injure myself; she also keeps saying that at this point it's all about what I eat and not the exercise that will help me lose weight.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I think she feels that I'm doing too much walking and could injure myself; she also keeps saying that at this point it's all about what I eat and not the exercise that will help me lose weight.

It sounds like your PT is giving you sound advice and just trying to lessen impacts during your weight loss stage. But personally to me I would think any PT would advise that both food and exercise have major impact on weight.

If she is really engaged in helping you, let her know what activities don't work well for you regardless of the reasons. She might have even more alternatives. But keep in mind she might also be pushing you towards the gym and other public places on purpose. With the larger variety of things to do, it helps your goals come quicker in some cases, or works more parts of the body in others. And at some point everyone has to accept that they aren't the ultra fit people that sometimes are at the gym.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think the walking group is good both because you enjoy it and because of the social aspect. Your trainer is trying to protect your joints, and, yes, there are bigger burns and more whole body workouts BUT I would definitely continue with your group. Perhaps not add the daily walks on your own, yet.

Diet is 80% of weight loss; exercise is for health. You can be really skinny and unhealthy and overweight and healthy. Muscle helps by burning more calories and making us feel and look better, We all want a good balance in the end. So, first and foremost, watch the diet. As the weight comes off, then exercise get easier. Again, a good conversation about your concerns as they come up will clarify. You don't want injury because of stress on joints and much enthusiasm too early in this journey. Too many changes all at once can be a problem too.

I am trained as a personal trainer for seniors. Many of them have the same aversion to gyms and pools. You don't have to go in a pool. Many enjoy aquafit once they try it, and you may find friends there too but stick with what you like. There are lots of seated exercises that you can do at home with bands and balls. There are a number of videos on the internet for ideas; a full body workout is easily achieved while seated. And, easier on joints at the beginning stages of strength training. I would try the gym before the pool. You are paying for training. Sort of like piano lessons. The lesson is good but without practice, hard to get better. A trainer doesn't care where you practice, at home or in the gym, but you have to practice. I think of others in the gym as simply being in a different 'grade' than I am. And they were beginners once too.

Congratulations for being on this journey. The hardest part is starting. With a walking group, a trainer and I am assuming, going to the gym to meet the trainer, you are already out there, doing. Good for you! And, I know it is hard, but being in a gym or a pool as a bigger person, I always stand a little straighter because I am a role model. Let us reclaim the spaces where we need to be, regardless of body shape. As an older large woman, I know it takes courage to wear a bathing suit in public. But in exercise circles, I have found nothing but encouragement.

Keep it going and you will soon be encouraged to walk daily.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 233lbs and am not very tall. I started walking at least 30 minutes a day to help lose weight and joined a local group that goes walking and runs a beginner's running group once a week; I enjoy the group as it has helped me make friends after being very isolated. I'm also having personal training in a gym twice a week which is helping with my general strength and fitness. However, my trainer is very down on me walking as much as I am and wants me to do other stuff; I am doing some of the exercises we do at the gym at home and have ordered resistance bands to help, I have some Tae Bo dvds I can do at home but I am at a loss to know what else to do whilst I'm so overweight (6 stone over for my height) and lack the confidence to go to the gym on my own to do the program drawn up for me. My trainer suggested aqua aerobics but all the local pools mostly run classes on weekday mornings whilst I'm at work and the only week night class clashes with my walking group. I'm also really unhappy about wearing a swimming costume; going to the gym twice a week is struggle enough, worrying about people looking at me. I used to enjoy running but know at the moment that's not achievable; I thought walking would be ideal as it's free, fits into my schedule and is low impact but the PT thinks it's not good for me. Any suggestions or advice (apart from manning up and getting to the gym on my own to use the bike and cross trainer?); money is a bit of an issue too as I'm spending every spare penny of the training.

When I first started trying to lose weight last year I was 6 and half stone over what I should be for my height. I still have 2 and a half to go. But it was walking I did. So I don't think there is anything wrong in that. But I did add in different things like swimming and boxing just to keep my metabolism to change when I stopped losing weight.
    Do what you feel is right for you. Keep going with the walking.
    You will get there. X
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy. If you like walking, keep doing it.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I have lost most of my weight ever in my lifetime...walking. honor yourself.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Correct. Diet plays a much bigger role in weight loss than exercise.
    If you enjoy walking, by all means keep walking, unless there are medical restrictions (e.g problems with joints etc).
    But if you have been sedentary so far, make sure you are setting your own pace. A one hour walk at a comfortable pace will be far more beneficial than a 20 minute fast walk or run where you are struggling to keep up. If your group allows you to be active in a safe way, absolutely keep doing what you are doing.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would keep up the walking some at least, a social network is key to maintaining weight loss. Maybe on other days you could try swimming (a great exercise that's easy on your joints... and I promise that everyone else is only concerned about what they look like and not you) or maybe cycling at the gym. good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    While diet is the biggest factor in weight loss I have a hard time seeing how you could injure yourself walking 30 minutes a day (unless you missed some uneven terrain and rolled an ankle or something). Walking is how people have gotten around since the dawn of time and it's great exercise.....I also think that the walking group is a great idea too if you've been feeling isolated.

Personally I love the solitude of running but that's also because I'm talking to clients all day long, a little peace and quiet goes a long way.
  • kirstym1108
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies which have all been very positive and helpful; I have enjoyed spinning, running, body combat, boxing and body balance classes in the past and want to get back to those. I'm 6 weeks in and feel frustrated and overwhelmed by meal planning and prep, logging and fitting in exercise along with everything else. The final straw yesterday was trying to do something in the gym with the trainer which I just couldn't manage and it made me cry because I felt like a beached whale struggling on the mat with all these fit people around me. I know I can't change things overnight and I know I need to do more of the gym exercises at home, hence buying resistance bands. It's also a bit disheartening doing my workout in the gym and it not counting for anything calorie burn wise so by doing the walking I have something decent I can log! I will keep plugging away and hope to get there in the end!
  • kirstym1108
    Options
    While diet is the biggest factor in weight loss I have a hard time seeing how you could injure yourself walking 30 minutes a day (unless you missed some uneven terrain and rolled an ankle or something). Walking is how people have gotten around since the dawn of time and it's great exercise.....I also think that the walking group is a great idea too if you've been feeling isolated.

I'm doing a minimum of 30 minutes a day but it does vary depending on work, if I've got a gym session; usually it's no more than 90 minutes in one go although sometimes I might have managed 2 or 3 shorter walks on one day.
  • kirstym1108
    Options
    Th
    I would keep up the walking some at least, a social network is key to maintaining weight loss. Maybe on other days you could try swimming (a great exercise that's easy on your joints... and I promise that everyone else is only concerned about what they look like and not you) or maybe cycling at the gym. good luck!

Thanks! To be honest, I hate swimming but cycling at the gym is ok.
  • kirstym1108
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Correct. Diet plays a much bigger role in weight loss than exercise.
    If you enjoy walking, by all means keep walking, unless there are medical restrictions (e.g problems with joints etc).
    But if you have been sedentary so far, make sure you are setting your own pace. A one hour walk at a comfortable pace will be far more beneficial than a 20 minute fast walk or run where you are struggling to keep up. If your group allows you to be active in a safe way, absolutely keep doing what you are doing.

The walking group goes at the pace of the slowest person and we have stops as required (often for photos!), so that's really good. On my own I might walk more briskly if I know I've only time to fit in a short walk than if I was going on a longer one. I try to go no faster than being a little out of puff but still able to talk a bit, I know I need to work up a bit of a sweat!