binge eating

Options
Hello, I've been on and off of here for quite sometime now. However this time I've come back with the realization that I have an eating disorder. I haven't been diagnosed through a physician but the signs are obvious. I would really appreciate any advice as to how I can put an end to this horrible disorder because I haven't the slightest clue as to where I need to start!

Replies

• ikim1988
    ikim1988 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well what kind of eating disorder do you have?!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I started having some really bad binge-eating bouts. I looked for advice on youtube (no, this doesn't always work for everything lol) and I found some helpful videos about how overeating is more of a HABIT than anything else, and there are tips on how to break that habit and deal with the urges when they occur. They also recommend a book called "Brain Over Binge" which I have not read myself, but it sounds like it could be really helpful for some people. It's not about weak willpower, it's about overcoming bad habits. When I looked at my problem that way, I was able to get myself under control.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird but write in a journal! I went through the same thing. I would end up eating an entire pizza myself when I wasn't even that hungry or an entire jar of peanut butter. Most binges are emotional though. I know I eat when I'm stressed or bored. If you write in your journal every time you feel like snacking for no reason you'll get to the bottom of what causes you to binge and you can work on preventing it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I finally had to break down and realize I couldn't do it alone. I'm in counseling now.
  • jramc007
    jramc007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem. I was a fast food fiend, and was hungry for FF even when I was full. What worked for me: 1900 calories a day, logging all my foods in MFP, eating breakfast (would normally skip and have huge lunch), and doing a beginner training program on the runtastic app. Add me if your looking for extra motivation!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I used to have a dangerously unhealthy relationship with food and my binge eating was a serious problem with me so I understand your struggle. My disordered eating involved complete deprivation during the week (we are talking around 500 calories per day with intense exercise 3 times a week) followed by absolute indulgence and a complete and utter food overload come the weekend. My Saturday morning breakfast would probably add up to well over 1300 calories alone - then came the snacks and the even higher calorie lunch and dinner. I would eat until I was physically sick. I soon learnt that these extreme binges stemmed from my restrictiveness during the week. I saw food as a reward.

I hope you can find peace with food and yourself and I hope this website is useful for you. It helped me a LOT and I'm more educated about my food and my body than I've ever been before. I've come to realise that health is one of the most important things to me.

If you feel you have a real problem, I think it may be beneficial to contact your doctor and explain your tendencies. They may be able to work with you on that. I'd say address the problem before you start on any kind of calorie deficit. Wishing you the very best of luck :)
  • sandylyn88
    sandylyn88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same problem here! I need to be more accountable, and I need to take this seriously
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    First part of getting better is admitting you have an issue
    I would recommend getting diagnosed so you can recieve the support you need on the medical side, therapy and such.
    I would recommend reevaluting your relationship with food. logging it accurately is a good way to do it.
    I would lastly recommend finding a support group. A good group can help and relate to you in a way those of us who don't have BED and such cannot. there are binge eater support groups, food addicts support groups and overeaters anonymous. I do not have links to any groups, but someone may PM you them.
    I believe there is an active OA group. Here is the link to request an invitation to the group