An objective look at why you may not be progressing

Options
Lots and lots of people panic or complain that they aren't losing weight. So here are a few things you need to HONESTLY consider:

Have you been consistent? That "wella uh besides the _________ I had" ISN'T being consistent.

Are you actually measuring correctly? "Looks right" isn't the same as actually being precise.

Are you getting enough rest? 4-5 hours of sleep ISN'T the same as 7-8 hours.

Is your calorie deficit TOO HIGH? That rush of 6lbs in the first week doesn't last into the 2nd, 3rd or 4th week. Sure it worked the first week, but just about any calorie deficit will. Be smart. You WON'T outsmart your body.

There are processes you have to follow to get the results you want. So before you panic, step back and reassess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• BeckFair
    BeckFair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I looked back on my calorie intake since I started MFP and I eat over my daily goal about half of the time. Maybe a little more. So I'm tracking well, but still eating too much. It shows on the scale. :'(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ncbeachybum
    ncbeachybum Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I needed this today!! Thank you!
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Very rarely does anyone mention the importance of sleep and weight loss.
    Thank you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Good, simple guidelines. You can definitely breakdown each of these points into huge discussions, but this is really easy to read and should make people think.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Very true. Out of self-defence, we seem to leap to conclusions that we are special, there's something wrong with our bodies, that something environmental is working against up but really, 99.9% of the time, we're doing something wrong. Science doesn't lie. As much as people love to say it, on the whole - no, everyone's NOT different. If you've stopped losing, the most obvious answer is generally the right one, and that is that you're doing it wrong.

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Good post.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    i definitely have to put some more time into researching my numbers...there are times when I eat at huge deficits and see very little progress on the scale, and times when the exact opposite is true. i'm still a little stumped by that.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep will affect every aspect of my weight loss. When I get tired I get sloppy with my weighing and logging.

Another culprit is mental exhaustion and/or poor attitude. I find that changing things up a little and refocusing helps me to recommit.
  • jtate0212
    jtate0212 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post!
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's tough though, sleep is the one thing I can't change. I'm a single mother of an 8 month old. If he decides not to sleep, I don't sleep. I'm always working on keeping him on his schedule, but babies do what they want sometimes.
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Very true. Out of self-defence, we seem to leap to conclusions that we are special, there's something wrong with our bodies, that something environmental is working against up but really, 99.9% of the time, we're doing something wrong. Science doesn't lie. As much as people love to say it, on the whole - no, everyone's NOT different. If you've stopped losing, the most obvious answer is generally the right one, and that is that you're doing it wrong.
    Thank you for this. People love to blame everything else but themselves. It's the mentality of a victim, not a winner. Body is an amazingly complex thing, but human bodies DO work pretty much the same way... I used to blame my hypothyroidism for being "unable to lose weight". What it actually did was that it made me too drained to even TRY. Once I got to it, I've had no trouble losing weight. Actually got to lower the dose of the meds because of it too.
    If you've got a medical condition, that's an incentive to do your absolute best at taking good care of your body... NOT an excuse to keep on abusing it.

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Legend! Bumping cause of the pure awesomeness
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    So true. I have been eating more and more sugar. I haven't lost anything in 3 weeks. I know exactly why I am not losing.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    It's tough though, sleep is the one thing I can't change. I'm a single mother of an 8 month old. If he decides not to sleep, I don't sleep. I'm always working on keeping him on his schedule, but babies do what they want sometimes.

I hear you.

I'm well into my third year of child sleep deprivation, as soon as terrible sleeper number one started sleeping, I popped out terrible sleeper number two, who is now 14 months. She's only just stopped waking every 2 hours, and is down to twice/thrice nightly.

It really can be beyond one's control. But, what I have found is, while I used to eat my tiredness, I actually feel better since I stopped. I used to reach for the quick carby/sugary fix to get me through, but in hindsight, it didn't do anything much at all.

I'm still as tired, but I've lost the weight I wanted. I feel better for that, and more energetic too. Now if only I can get some sleep, my skin might start looking better and those dark circles under my eyes might bugger off.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Yup. Sleep deprivation is unavoidable for me. My son has nursing care 3 nights a week so I get 7 hours of sleep those nights. But the other 4 nights I'm lucky if I get 5 hours. It's hard to lose weight when you're exhausted! Possible, but hard.
  • ninerbuff
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Inconsistency with routine is the same for most children too. So if you're not getting him down at a consistent time, he'll be inconsistent and if he's really tired and can't sleep (due to some sort of stimulation) he could become cranky which just raises your stress level.
    Being a stay at home dad and taking care of my DD since she was an infant, I noticed that when I "shut everything down" at nap time, it made it easier for her to lay a fall asleep.................as well as myself. Not the answer to your problem. Just a tip I learned.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    HannaSusi wrote: »
    Thank you for this. People love to blame everything else but themselves. It's the mentality of a victim, not a winner. Body is an amazingly complex thing, but human bodies DO work pretty much the same way... I used to blame my hypothyroidism for being "unable to lose weight". What it actually did was that it made me too drained to even TRY. Once I got to it, I've had no trouble losing weight. Actually got to lower the dose of the meds because of it too.
    If you've got a medical condition, that's an incentive to do your absolute best at taking good care of your body... NOT an excuse to keep on abusing it.
    My DW has it too. She felt the same way at 38, then started ballroom dancing. Lost over 30lbs and physically is in the best shape of her life. She chose and wanted to make it happen and it did.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Good post--timely with everyone returning after summer sins and trying to get back into it. Thanks for the wakeup call. B)