Paleo Modified

Options
My doctor recently put me on a modified Paleo diet, I can have beans and Legumes, and honestly I am running out of food ideas.
I usually do Shakeology with almond mild and some fruit in the morning but have been finding that I am way more satiated with an Egg, Spinach, Avocado and salsa scramble.
I just need food ideas, I work 2 sometimes 3 jobs and need something I can make lots of and have a little variety through the week. Help......

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You have a list of restrictions you can share ?
  • malitesson
    malitesson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can't have Gluten, Sugar, Dairy, Starches- except Sweet Potatoes, limit soy and extreme limit on Caffeine.
    I also can only have between 60-100g of carbohydrates a day. Fruit needs to mostly be berries and citrus or apples.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    malitesson wrote: »
    I can't have Gluten, Sugar, Dairy, Starches- except Sweet Potatoes, limit soy and extreme limit on Caffeine.
    I also can only have between 60-100g of carbohydrates a day. Fruit needs to mostly be berries and citrus or apples.

What is the rationale for these restrictions?

If it's anything other than "I have allergic reactions to the above" or "I cannot medically tolerate these foods", I'd find a new doctor...or at least stop listening to him/her for nutrition advice.
  • malitesson
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. The Paleo diet has been proven to manage the issues associated the best of all and those are the restrictions associated with the diet program. I am supposed to be very strict for 30 days to get my body use to it and then can modify after.
    ceoverturf wrote: »

If it's anything other than "I have allergic reactions to the above" or "I cannot medically tolerate these foods", I'd find a new doctor...or at least stop listening to him/her for nutrition advice.

• juggernaut1974
    Options
    I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. The Paleo diet has been proven to manage the issues associated the best of all and those are the restrictions associated with the diet program. I am supposed to be very strict for 30 days to get my body use to it and then can modify after.

I stand by my previous post then.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I hope you are smart enough to listen to your treating physician over someone posting on a free internet forum.

Here are some meal ideas:

Grilled pork chops and baked sweet potato
    Pan seared salmon and roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts
    Roast chicken, black bean soup and a green salad
    Split pea and ham soup, roasted asparagus
    Baked white fish (tilapia, cod, orange roughy...) smothered in black bean salsa, and roasted broccoli
    Roast pork loin with sweet potatoes, onion and garlic with a side of collard greens in olive oil and garlic
    Pan seared steak with green beans
    Shrimp, broccoli and carrot stir fry
    Any other stir fry
    Chili
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know how many of his patients are successful long term with the diet. Anyways, boil a dozen eggs, pack a ton of veggies with you, cheese, and meat slices. Oh you can't do dairy I don't know I'd fail on that diet, and I'm a PCOS'er. Why are sweet potatoes better than white besides a little beta carotene? Sorry best of luck.
  • cathode1977
    cathode1977 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Google marks daily apple this will give you lots of ideas
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

If this is a short term plan to lose weight fast, it makes sense. Weight loss improves PCOS symptoms dramatically . If this is what your dr told you you need to do for life, find a new dr, because this is a quack.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Have a look at marksdailyapple.com plenty of recipe ideas there.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There are tons of paleo recipes, and honestly with the allowance of legumes, that's a very broad diet. I imagine you are used to certain things that have a lot of grains, and now you can't think of food beyond that, but there are so many options.

If you typically have sandwiches for lunch (for example), you can do lettuce wraps or eat meat and cheese as a charcuterie (fancy french word for cut up meats and cheeses, usually served on a cutting board or platter). I personally eat the same things that I would for dinner, but in a little smaller portion. I cook on the weekends and then freeze individual portions for lunches. I don't eat paleo, but I do cook with a lot of whole foods and don't eat that many grains during the week.

It can be pretty simple substitutions. I made a vindaloo from scratch, and instead of serving it over rice, I served it over green beans. Instead of eating pasta, I make a thick tomato sauce with a lot of meat and veggies. They don't substitute for the missing grains, but it works really well as a separate dish.

And there are tons of recipes out there on paleo specific sites.
  • malitesson
    Options
    I hope you are smart enough to listen to your treating physician over someone posting on a free internet forum.

Here are some meal ideas:

Grilled pork chops and baked sweet potato
    Pan seared salmon and roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts
    Roast chicken, black bean soup and a green salad
    Split pea and ham soup, roasted asparagus
    Baked white fish (tilapia, cod, orange roughy...) smothered in black bean salsa, and roasted broccoli
    Roast pork loin with sweet potatoes, onion and garlic with a side of collard greens in olive oil and garlic
    Pan seared steak with green beans
    Shrimp, broccoli and carrot stir fry
    Any other stir fry
    Chili

I will keep listening to the Doc lol..... Those sound amazing. Thank you
  • malitesson
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If this is a short term plan to lose weight fast, it makes sense. Weight loss improves PCOS symptoms dramatically . If this is what your dr told you you need to do for life, find a new dr, because this is a quack.

The Dr. didn't tell me a time line, but I have another apt in a month. I have already dropped a lot of weight and I'm not concerned with getting pregnant, I just want to mix up the food choices.

• malitesson
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    There are tons of paleo recipes, and honestly with the allowance of legumes, that's a very broad diet. I imagine you are used to certain things that have a lot of grains, and now you can't think of food beyond that, but there are so many options.

If you typically have sandwiches for lunch (for example), you can do lettuce wraps or eat meat and cheese as a charcuterie (fancy french word for cut up meats and cheeses, usually served on a cutting board or platter). I personally eat the same things that I would for dinner, but in a little smaller portion. I cook on the weekends and then freeze individual portions for lunches. I don't eat paleo, but I do cook with a lot of whole foods and don't eat that many grains during the week.

It can be pretty simple substitutions. I made a vindaloo from scratch, and instead of serving it over rice, I served it over green beans. Instead of eating pasta, I make a thick tomato sauce with a lot of meat and veggies. They don't substitute for the missing grains, but it works really well as a separate dish.

And there are tons of recipes out there on paleo specific sites.

I have actually been Gluten, soy, sugar, grain, and Dairy free for over a year, so I am not new to grain free. I am just really bored and haven't added the legumes in there yet. I don't really like them all that much. I work 3 jobs so cooking on the weekends isn't really feasible at the moment but hopefully shortly it will be.

• malitesson
    Options
    I'd be curious to know how many of his patients are successful long term with the diet. Anyways, boil a dozen eggs, pack a ton of veggies with you, cheese, and meat slices. Oh you can't do dairy I don't know I'd fail on that diet, and I'm a PCOS'er. Why are sweet potatoes better than white besides a little beta carotene? Sorry best of luck.

Sweet Potatoes have a lot more vitamins in them and actually aren't as starchy as a traditional potato.
  • malitesson
    Options

Dairy metabolizes into sugar so its highly recommended that women with PCOS don't eat it. I have always been allergic, but just another reason to be careful. She's actually one of the best Naturopathic Doctors in Alaska and has had lots of success with her patients maintaining this lifestyle or a modified version of it.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Beyond satisfying your curiosity, how is this relevant to know?

OP: http://paleoleap.com/paleo-diet-recipes/
  • LKArgh
    edited September 2015
    Options

Dairy metabolizes into sugar so its highly recommended that women with PCOS don't eat it. I have always been allergic, but just another reason to be careful. She's actually one of the best Naturopathic Doctors in Alaska and has had lots of success with her patients maintaining this lifestyle or a modified version of it.

As someone who has lived with PCOS for 20 years, and have actually controlled symptoms very well, including having 3 kids without any medical interventions or drugs, my personal advice would be to find a reproductive endocrinologist. Regardless of whether you want to have kids or not, it is a reproductive illness. The advice you will get will be boring, nothing as exciting as what the naturopath told you, nothing as exciting as what you will read on forums. It will not have special restrictions or complicated recipes, it will not make you feel special in any way, it will not be expensive. It will not be trendy like paleo. And it will work.
    To add: I saw in your profile you want to have kids one day. Then please see a reproductive endocrinologist ASAP, even if the plan is to have kids in 10 years. PCOS left untreated and without the proper life changes early on, it does damage that cannot be reversed. It is an illness that is far more easily reversible regarding lasting effects, the earlier you treat it. Experimenting and wasting time can mean there is no turning back regarding fertility.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    And here is the summary of what works: https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/pcos.pdf
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »

Beyond satisfying your curiosity, how is this relevant to know?

OP: http://paleoleap.com/paleo-diet-recipes/

Answered in the second sentence of my post.

Given the arbitrary list of restricted/unrestricted foods it is abundantly clear the doctor has no training or understanding of proper nutrition. Which was reinforced when OP admitted they are a "Naturopathic" doctor, which is nothing more than a modern term for a woo-tastic medicine man