how to loose while pregnant in a safe way

Options
Im trying to loose about 20 to 25 lbs while im pregnant, im already 16 weeks .

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont think this is safe. you need to go talk to your doctor and follow their advice.
  • jbigattas
    jbigattas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have an appt this week, im also going to try and see a nutritionist, i just wanted to knownif anyone here had done something like that in a safe way ;)
  • jbigattas
    jbigattas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you though
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I lost weight while I was pregnant. I had Gestational Diabetes that was diet-controlled. Because I was overweight to begin with, they didn't mind that I was losing some weight as long as it was reasonable. I actually lost almost 20 lbs with my second son. I was carefully watched by doctors and it wasn't a problem. Then again, I wasn't trying to lose weight, but having to closely monitor my diet due to my GD is what had me losing.

There was a week that I lost 6 lbs and they urged me to consult my dietitian. I did. We played around with my diet so that although I was still losing, it wasn't drastic.

You really should consult your doctor before trying. That being said, a great goal would be to gain no more than 10 lbs, especially if you are already overweight!
  • aerae
    aerae Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you're overweight, the recommended weight gain for pregnancy is less than if you started out at a regular weight, but it's extremely unsafe for you and your baby to be watching the scale for a loss while pregnant. The best thing you can do for you and your baby is eat healthy and eat enough to feel full and then stop. You WILL gain weight because you're growing a baby but you can talk to a nutritionist about how to best nourish your body and your baby during this time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I know my sister-in-law's doctor had her on a plan to lose about 5 or 10 pounds when she was pregnant with her first but she was already overweight, of course. As others have said, it's something that can be done but only under the care of your physician and perhaps a registered dietician.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jbigattas wrote: »
    Im trying to loose about 20 to 25 lbs while im pregnant, im already 16 weeks .

The safe way would be to work with your OB/GYN. The unsafe way would be to take advice from strangers on the internet and do it without talking to your doctor.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doc and have them refer you to a nutritionist/dietitian with some experience here. I think the best thing you can do is lose the mind set that you're going to lose weight. Shift gears to the absolute healthiest, happiest pregnancy you can have.

I have a co-worker who is 36 weeks right now and always in trouble with her OB for not gaining weight - she's always been very fit and active, and has only gained 5lbs. Baby is fine. The concern is more for you, afterward. Baby will take what baby needs and deplete you of all your stores of minerals etc.

We are planning on getting pregnant next year. I intend to continue being active and eating well, but will not focus on "losing" weight. I just don't want to get out of the habit that has taken me so long to build.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    I was obese (250 pounds) when I became pregnant with my daughter and had lost already over 30 pounds before becoming pregnant. My doctor strongly advised against trying to lose weight during pregnancy. He encouraged me to eat healthy foods and continue exercising but not to lose weight during my pregnancy. He indicated that I should gain between 15 and 20 pounds during the pregnancy. (I ended up gaining 40 but he wasn't at all upset with that). I was able to return to my diet and exercise within 6 weeks after giving birth (C-section) and was back at my pre-pregnancy weight by 3 months of having my daughter.
    I will add that I felt great throughout my entire pregnancy and continued to exercise until I was 7-1/2 months along. At that time anything more than walking was too much. I attribute my feeling good throughout my pregnancy to having started a healthy diet and exercise plan before becoming pregnant and continuing to eat healthy and exercise while pregnant.
    Listen to your doctor and follow their recommendations. :)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Second thread like this today already. Ugh. Eat healthy nutrient dense foods, go for long walks and work on taking care of that child growing inside of you. If you wanted to lose (not loose) 20-25 lbs, you should have done that before getting pregnant.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Be careful and talk to your doctor about it. I'm pregnant and today I flat out fainted. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I'm accustomed to only having 2 eggs for breakfast and today that didn't cut it. The baby uses up a lot of your blood sugar!