Optimal heart rate for weight loss?

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
So, I just got an HRM and have been playing around with it a bit. What's the optimal heart rate for me to be at during steady state cardio to burn the most fat and get into the best shape? My first goal is to lose another 50 pounds or so, but my secondary goal is to be able to run a 10k and/or do a triathlon without wanting to die.

Most of my steady state cardio comes on either the treadmill or stationary bike. I try to mix up running on level ground with walking with a steep incline. I usually do about 40 minutes per night, and divide that into 4 10 minute chunks between different speeds and intensity on the treadmill and some bike time.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I follow the calculation in this article:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm
  • ashshort
    ashshort Posts: 8
    Options
    My personal trainer has always told me to maintain 150 as a target heart rate
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I believe you take 220 minus your age and then multiply by 60% to give you your minimal heart rate value to burn calories.
  • dinichols
    dinichols Posts: 37
    Options
    I just got a HRM also and am trying to figure it all out. I took it to the track tonight to see what the difference in calorie burn is when walking and running etc. Kind of confused me even more. Mine shows my target rate but I have to jog very slow or walk otherwise I am over my zone..this may have to do with how out of shape I have gotten and the extra weight I am carrying..not sure.
    So I am hoping we can both get some answers! I do know that you subtract your age from 220 to get your maximum rate and then your target is percentage of that..
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Your optimal heart rate is based off of a formula with your age as a factor. Your max heart rate is typically defined as follows:

max hr = 220 - your current age

(Example: if you're 30 yrs old, then your max hr is 220 - 30 = 190 bpm)

Your optimal heart range is typically between 65% to 85% of your max heart rate.

Example: if your max hr is 190, then 65% of 190 is 124 bpm.
    85% of 190 is about 162 bpm.
    Therefore, your optimal heat ranges between 124 - 162

Hope this helps.
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You need to know you resting heart rate also. Let's say you are 20.

You take 220-20=200.

Then you take your resting heart rate, say it is 60, and 200-60=140.

You heart rate reserve is 50-85% of this number.

Then you add your resting heart rate back in.

So your target heart rate would be between 130-179 beats per minute.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help. The question is just what % I should be at...

If we go with the 50% baseline my min would be 118.
    But if we go with 65% it's up at 138.

Pretty significant difference!