I Have Seen The Light!

Options
I've been reading on how we must eat all our caloies if we plan to lose pounds, but that just didn't jive with my logic; therefore, the scientist/rebel in me had to see for myself. I was eating no more than 1500 cal/day, regardless of exercise. Prior to this I was hitting 1800-1900 and just making sure I was covered with exercise. I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks that way! After keeping my intake to 1500 total cal. I gained 3 lbs. I know it wasn't all muscle because I took measurements! I saw my body fat % increase!

Now, I have seen the light! I have learned, the hard way, that I can's skimp on the calories and expect to lose weight. My body is too smart for that! I have to eat enought to sustan my body. As my stepmother used to say, "The best sense is bought sense."

If I was having trouble with this concept, The Biggest Loser definitely brought it home for me. A gentleman had the same problem, and the same weight gain!

Learn from my mistakes. Eat/drink your calories!

Replies

• blessedmamma
    Options
    I've been reading on how we must eat all our caloies if we plan to lose pounds, but that just didn't jive with my logic; therefore, the scientist/rebel in me had to see for myself. I was eating no more than 1500 cal/day, regardless of exercise. Prior to this I was hitting 1800-1900 and just making sure I was covered with exercise. I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks that way! After keeping my intake to 1500 total cal. I gained 3 lbs. I know it wasn't all muscle because I took measurements! I saw my body fat % increase!

Now, I have seen the light! I have learned, the hard way, that I can's skimp on the calories and expect to lose weight. My body is too smart for that! I have to eat enought to sustan my body. As my stepmother used to say, "The best sense is bought sense."

If I was having trouble with this concept, The Biggest Loser definitely brought it home for me. A gentleman had the same problem, and the same weight gain!

Learn from my mistakes. Eat/drink your calories!
  • puravidame
    puravidame Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been eating my calories for a month now and my weight has stayed the same.

I am consuming on average 2000 calories a day. I am buring on average 700 calories a day. So, my net is 1300. I just don't get it. The scale has not moved and my measurements are the same also.

I was planning on consuming 1300 to see what happens. 2000 calories just seems like so much.
  • shakenbake
    Options
    Your right. You must eat all your calories, plus that of which you earn. It is healthier.
  • alicek
    alicek Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, the biggest looser really hit home last night. I know it seems strange that cutting calories does not always mean weight loss...my mom is a dietician and she has told me that since I was 14. It is so true though! I guess at the end of the day, it is all about how healthy you eat, not how little you eat. Good luck!
  • Erica92627
    Options
    So if you can't, because you don't feel hungry, should you drink a drink of something whether it be a juice drink to get those calories?
  • adelespears
    Options
    I know this has been chewed over a lot before, but it's really REALLY hard for me to get to 1200 calories in a day. I try, but I've always been told "Don't eat if you're not hungry" and I can't see eating if I don't feel hungry. It's hard for me to get in all of the snacks and tips like people say, because I'm in class most of the day, and my only break is for lunch. I want to be able to eat all my calories, especially as I work out, too, so I should even be eating MORE than 1200, I just can't seem to. Are there any tips at all for this sort of thing? Like Ynot said above me, is juice good for this sort of thing?
  • krazykayzy
    krazykayzy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know this has been chewed over a lot before, but it's really REALLY hard for me to get to 1200 calories in a day. I try, but I've always been told "Don't eat if you're not hungry" and I can't see eating if I don't feel hungry. It's hard for me to get in all of the snacks and tips like people say, because I'm in class most of the day, and my only break is for lunch. I want to be able to eat all my calories, especially as I work out, too, so I should even be eating MORE than 1200, I just can't seem to. Are there any tips at all for this sort of thing? Like Ynot said above me, is juice good for this sort of thing?

Absolutely drink your calories! If the thought of eating more doesn't appeal to you (I wish :tongue: ) than drink milk, juice, or even tea/coffee with sugar in it.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options

If you are working out you should try some protein powder. Get a juice bottle and pop some protein powder in it and shake it up or even protein bars if you don't want to drink your calories. These are easy to carry in your bag and eat or drink during class.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    The one thing my wife and others in my life have stressed to me, (and it really does work) is to think on, not only how many calories you eat, but really examine WHAT calories you eat and WHEN you eat them.

Remember, your metabolism reacts to what you do during the day, and what/when you fuel it.

As an example, if you eat 2 big meals a day, say at noon and 6:00 pm and don't eat much else, but you exercise in the morning. Your working against your body because your telling your metabolism to ramp up your output without a fuel source. THEN your feeding your body but giving it nothing to do with that fuel, this will cause your body to store fat just as if you weren't working out.

the best Idea I can give to keep your metabolism steady and strong is to space out your food throughout the day, eat 5 or 6 smaller meals (I include snacks in that) and eat the slightly larger meals just before or after you work out so your body is still on the exercise metabolism when you give it food.

Of course eating the right kind of calories is big too, eating simple carbs for a lot of your calories is bad because your body digests them faster then your metabolism can use them, thus it stores more fat. Eat complex carbs like whole wheat and grains, and of course eat your protien, don't skimp on your protien if you are working out, not only does it keep you feeling full, it kick starts your muscles into building mode, which, in turn, burns more fat calories while at rest.