Losing it because of my diabetes

Options
After being diagnosed with Type II Diabetes at the end of this past February, it became clear that I had to make certain changes in my lifestyle. Part of those changes were looking at the nutritional information on the back label of foods; the other is to take weight off. The part about the nutritional info is important as my Diabetes Educator informed me that the max I'm allowed to intake is 200 carbs per day.

Since February, I've lost about 22lbs. with an eye on taking off about a "ton" more. For that reason, I've found MyFitnessPal.com. Any tie that you can utilize tools that can help you reach your goals are important (The fact that the program is free is also a big bonus!).

It's amazing the amount of positive support that I've received from my long-suffering wife, daughters, and grandchildren.Since I've only joined today, all I can say is, "Let the journey begin..."

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    200 carbs a day is close. Well, I think men can have more, so that's why 200 is a good number.

45 carbs per meal
    15 carbs per snack.

Following that rule, eating low GI foods and exercising can help a diabetic.
  • racenews
    racenews Posts: 13
    Options
    That number wasn't mine; it was given to me by my Diabetes Educator. After taking 3 3-hours classes, I found that the info is absolutely mind-boggling..
  • AZackery
    Options
    I'm agreeing with what your diabetes educator said.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome, I was diagnoised with type11 diabeties
    9 yrs ago my blood sugars always ran between 350-400
    I took 2 shots and 4 pills a day for years.
    It has now been 5 weeks since I have taken any meds at all
    I have lost 41 pounds with 30 to go, between the weight loss
    and excercise my diabeties is gone my blood sugars have not been
    over 118 in weeks.
    Stick with the program and you will beat this! GOODLUCK
  • racenews
    Options
    Deb, fortunately, my blood glucose was never that high. My A1C was 9.4 when first diagnosed back in February, and was down to 6.5 by mid April.

For you, your program of meds and weight loss have seemed to help you tremendously. I wish you the best of luck!
  • rebka411
    rebka411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnoised with Type 2 the doctor put me on a pill and told me to loose weight. How much did you have to loose to get off the meds.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was on 4 dif meds as late as last December, when they wanted to put me on a statin drug, that's when I decided it was time to really make a change.

In all, I've lost 92 lbs from my heaviest over a 2 year span and have been med free now since just before last Christmas.

My cholesterol is great, my blood sugar rarely ever goes over 90 in the morning, most days it's in the 70's and I rarely ever hit 135 2 hours after a meal.

When counting carbs, 200 isn't a bad number to shoot for, I personally try to stay under 150 myself.

Remember to subtract fiber grams from your carb grams. For example, you eat something that has 20 carbs and 5 grams of fiber. That would count as only 15 carb gams because your body cannot digest fiber and it just passes through your body.

I personally cut out all grains, sugars, corn, and some fruits and it's working very well for me.

Bottom line, eat less, more healthy foods and move more. I was the laziest guy you'd ever meet before I hit my worst, but after only a couple months of exercise it became a habit and I now feel guilty not doing it and the benefits are tremendous.

Best of luck to you all, diabetes is not a death sentence, but not taking control can make your life very miserable for sure.
  • racenews
    Options
    I guess a brief history. At one point, my weight totally got away from me. Over a decade and a half ago, I said the heck with it (or similar words to that affect), and went with a gastric bypass. That enable me to lose (what seemed like a ton) a bunch of pounds. When I stabilized, weight loss was about 125 lbs from the procedure.

Over the years, I've lost about another 20 to bring me down to about 277. After being diagnosed with Type II at the end of February, I got a little bit more serious about my weight loss effort, and have gone down to 233 as of this morning.

It seems the major problem that I have is not worrying about the amount of calories; it trying not to eat anything within an hour or two before going to bed. That's the killer! And the heck of it is, I know better. For example, I should be having a diet that gives me 1800-2000 calories per day. Yesterday, I had slightly less than 1100. But stupidly, I ate something before going to bed. If I can refrain from that, I can lose the pounds more easily.

But then, we all have an excuse. This one just happens to be mine, and I'm sticking to it! :sad:
  • AZackery
    Options
    Titletown, why should someone subtract fiber grams from carbohydrate grams? They aren't the same thing.

People should have 28grams of fiber a day. A little more, wouldn't hurt.
  • titletown
    Options
    Titletown, why should someone subtract fiber grams from carbohydrate grams? They aren't the same thing.

People should have 28grams of fiber a day. A little more, wouldn't hurt.

Azackery,

Here is a breakdown on this theory from WebMD:

http://women.webmd.com/features/net-carb-debate

As always, please consult with your Dr. for the final answer on any of these issues.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Thanks Titletown, for sharing the link. Unless, I've missed someting, I didn't see where it said to subtract fiber grams from carbohydrates grams. A person will do what they want to do, but if I had to, I would stick to the way I have said: 45 grams of carbohydrates per meal and 15 gram of carbohydrates per snack. And that's looking strictly at the carbohydrates amount.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hey, Racenews! I'm also a newly diagnosed diabetic, and I'm amazed at how "motivating" that diagnosis has been for me! I have family doing the "pop a pill, screw lifestyle changes" route, and that's just not the way I want to go. My sibling's been doing that for ten years, and all it's gotten her is ten years of pill juggling culminating in insulin dependence. No thank you, not if there's anything I can do about it!

This program is magical--I have to thank my husband for finding it. I have it on my phone, my tab, and my computer, and I can keep track of every last thing. That, plus a blood sugar tracking program, and I am set!

I wish you great success--the folks here are very supportive and friendly. You can do it!

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Oh, yes, the "effective carbs" are your friend--my doctor clued me into that, and it works like a charm. Another wonderful thing? Dreamfield's Pasta. The effective carbs are very low, and I can eat a plate of pasta and have my blood sugar below 130 two hours later. Read around, ask your doc and nutritionist, and know that not all carbs are created equal! Fiber carbs are not the enemy, and low glycemic foods do wonders at keeping your blood sugar on an even keel. Give yourself time, and you'll start to find that some carbs affect your glucose levels more than others, and that certain high-fiber foods aren't bad, even though their carbs are seemingly high.

Good luck!

Kris
  • pompanomike
    pompanomike Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have known that I have type 2 diabetes for about 6years. I kind of ignored it. Two months ago I had a heart attack.
    I have lost a few pounds and am going to the gym for Cardio rehab. I'm doing my best with what I eat but seem stuck as far as loosing weight. I'm most often under my calorie count for the day and am exercising but still not loosing. I don't know where to concentrate.... is it carbs? The cardiologist seems pleased but my blood sugar is still a little high with pill so I'm confused.
    where should I focus?
  • titletown
    Options
    150 - 200 grams of carbs is a good starting point, but certainly talk this over with your DR, perhaps have him/her refer you to a nutritionist.

I personally eat no breads of any kind, no sodas, diet or otherwise, little to no rice, no pasta, no potatoes and it has been working very well for me.

Diabetes, especially Type II an be controlled by diet and exercise in most cases. I'm living proof of that, a couple years ago, I was the biggest sweet tooth you'd ever have met LOL

It will be a major adjustment to make, but you can do it. It took my 45+ years to wreck my body, and after just two years I was able to put most things back into place, the last two years have been nothing short of miraculous for me, close to 50 now and nearly at my goal weight and in extremely good shape.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like more help.
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Hey, Pompanomike! I'm a very heavy type II who's lost a good amount of weight in the past couple of months (still a lot to go!) watching both carbs and calories. For me, because if the diabetes, the carbs are the most important thing--I keep them to under fifty per meal, and around 15 for snacks. That's a round number, because some foods (like low glycemic index Builder's Bars) let me go higher without spiking my blood sugar, and carbs from veggies are actually good for you rather than bad. Calories are important for weight loss, but as a diabetic, many things come into play, including fats (I try to keep the "bad" fats low) and "sugar carbs" vs "fiber carbs."

My advice is watch the carbs, first and foremost, with an eye to calories, too. The carbs are what's going to help keep your blood sugar in a happier place, and the calories are going to help you lose weight. Losing weight, in itself, is beneficial because it can help your body better utililze insulin and better digest carbs. So it all ties together into one lifestyle package.

Have you spoken to a dietician or nutritionist? They might be able to help you work out a plan that you like with foods you enjoy--that's always more helfpul.

Good luck!

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Accidental repost!

Kris