September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Also, do you use the shoe log feature on either strava (and I think GC does it now)?
    I have like 7 pairs of shoes that I rotate, so this is a neccessity.

I do use the shoe log feature on Garmin Connect. Last week when I dumped my run data from GC > Strava, the shoe data didn't carry over and I'm not motivated to manually update those runs, though I am updating new runs. Interestingly, the 13.1 mile run that Garmin reports shows up as 13.3 miles in Strava.

I need to explore Strava some more to see what it might offer that GC does not. I'm very happy with GC, but enough of you use Strava that I feel I should spend some time with it.

Here's my Gear Log in GC.

d0qc1662a8gp.jpeg

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @7lenny7 I also use Garmin Connect and have that directly linked to MFP for calorie count as I find the Garmin burn numbers are consistently lower than Strava (highest) and MFP (between Strava and Garmin) for running. Based on my weight loss history I believe the Garmin numbers are reasonably accurate. I *wish* I could eat the Strava numbers because they are often much higher! Like an entire meal higher. A second helping of fish and chips some day LOL.

I started off last fall using Strava on my phone for run capture, many months before I bought a GPS watch. PS for newbies considering this... if you use a waist pack like a SPI Belt or Flip Belt be sure you put the phone in a zip-lock bag. I killed one screen with sweat.

Strava appealed to because of its huge user base; I figured it might be a good bet for a long term repository for all my runs and I'm a bit of a data geek so was glad to see it had broad support from other apps, like MFP. No matter what else I use in the future I'll keep uploading to Strava just for the long term view.

Strava I feed from Garmin automatically for two reasons: the social aspect, which wasn't that important to me months ago but now since meeting so many here on MFP who also use Strava it is nice to see where people are running.

The other feature I like about Strava is immediately after Garmin uploads data (via my phone, I have a bluetooth Garmin) a Strava "Your run is ready..." notification appears on my phone and in that short summary I can edit the title and choose the footwear I used that day. Because I'm prompted straight away, I never forget to choose the right shoe. I honestly don't know doing that is as easy on Garmin Connect ... I've not been editing my runs post-upload on GC for footwear data and consequently all my runs show up on one pair. Thankfully it's dirt-simple on Strava so I've got decent stats there:
    Nike Zoom Structure Red-May 8 2015	360.1 km
    Merrell Bare Access 4 Street 20150613	151.1 km
    Merrell Bare Access Trail 20150613	286.1 km
    Nike Zoom Structure Blue-Jan 20 2015	542.2 km

Hmnn... just seeing that makes me want to go check out some new shoes whether it's time or not!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @shanaber I will buckle down and get out there earlier. I set my alarm for 5, but dang if I can get up.. I've never been a morning person..

Thanks for the encouragement!

@karllundy maybe it is a girl thing. Woman that does my hair swears her daughter is the nastiest being alive. Maybe is just a way of evening out the time after marriage when we get to clean up after everyone we love dearly!

@7lenny7 I do the garmin shoe log too.. Haven't always, but its sure nice to see when I may need to consider a new pair. Hey good to see your limit is 300. I set mine at 500, but noticed about 340 additional foot pains, shoes.. I may retire those.. @mwyvr your right, editing your shoes in GC isn't easy, unless you use the full site. Mobile app doesn't (yet) give you access to everything. Hopefully that will change.

@9voice9 dang, I couldn't find the original post on what happened. I trust you are alright?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Elise4270 and @7lenn7 - it must be a daughter thing. My 9 year-old is always taking glasses into her room and leaving them there. No mold yet, but I am sure it will happen.
    @skippygirlsmom - love the trail pics! So great that you do this together and share a love of running!
    @BanksySJ11 - congrats on the first HM! Did my first just under a year ago and it got me hooked on this running thing.

@karllundy thanks, we really had a great time. We stopped took pictures, sat for a few minutes with our feet dangling over a ledge and chatted. I love to be with her and thank God every day that she still loves to be with me LOL

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    9/1 Strength training and elliptical
    9/2 6.5 miles (6 at 11:29 and .5 at 15:00) on the treadmill
    9/3 4.5 miles at 11:59 on the treadmill
    9/4 3 miles at 11:00 on the treadmill and strength training
    9/5 Rest Day

9/6 5 miles-nice trail run with 4 at 11:35(ish) and 1 walking
    9/7 1.5 miles at 12:00 with my 10 year old. We did a fun run with a local running group--boy did they make me feel slow! So did Lib until about 5 minutes in, when her sprint turned into a total collapse. So we had a nice slow jog (with her walking a bunch of it) for the rest and talked a lot about pacing! Today she said her legs were sore, but she *might* want to run with me again.
    9/8 1.5 miles super-slow walking on the treadmill on max incline plus strength training

Goal: 75 miles

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I do the garmin shoe log too.. Haven't always, but its sure nice to see when I may need to consider a new pair. Hey good to see your limit is 300. I set mine at 500, but noticed about 340 additional foot pains, shoes.. I may retire those.. @mwyvr your right, editing your shoes in GC isn't easy, unless you use the full site. Mobile app doesn't (yet) give you access to everything. Hopefully that will change.

My FR 305 is old school and I have to be at the computer to upload data anyway. If you're at the computer, it's four mouse clicks to change shoes.

@Elise4270, I've read either 300 to 500 miles for running shoes, or run until you start to feel pain not attributable to anything else. Since I was 240 pounds when I started this running business, I decided to go with the lower end of the range, rather than risk pain or mild injury from my shoes being worn out. Running is too important to me now to risk injury to save a few bucks. That said, at my currently mileage I'm running 300 miles in two months! I may reevaluate my plan and perhaps save my old shoes for shorter runs while using fresh shoes for longer runs.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 3 miles
    9/2 - 2 miles
    9/3 - 3 miles
    9/4 - 0
    9/5 - 6 miles
    9/6 - 1 mile
    9/7 - 5.50 miles
    Total for Week 1 - 20.50 miles
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Last of my local summer 5k races today. Lovely run along the beach into the sunset. I finished in 28:22 and knocked 8 seconds of my PB! I was super pleased with myself :)

exercise.png[\img]
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@Elise4270, I've read either 300 to 500 miles for running shoes, or run until you start to feel pain not attributable to anything else. Since I was 240 pounds when I started this running business, I decided to go with the lower end of the range, rather than risk pain or mild injury from my shoes being worn out. Running is too important to me now to risk injury to save a few bucks. That said, at my currently mileage I'm running 300 miles in two months! I may reevaluate my plan and perhaps save my old shoes for shorter runs while using fresh shoes for longer runs.

I tend to use my high mileage shoes for my recovery runs. Speed days and long runs get my newer shoes.

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    September goal 100km
    9/1—Rest
    9/2–-5.3 km
    9/3–-6.24 km
    9/4—exploring
    9/5—rest, exhausted from exploring couldn’t get my butt up
    9/6—12.5 km, walked three times, but that’s okay
    9/7—rest
    9/8–5.06 km
    9/9–5.44 km
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/9: 7 miles
    4/9: 6.8 miles
    6/9: 13.7 miles
    8/9: 4.5 miles

exercise.png

• Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Well ran my half marathon on Sunday, and Runkeeper actually said the distance was longer than a half... Since it was the Disneyland Half and I was bouncing between characters for pictures, I'm trusting the extra half mile it recorded :)

9/2 - 2 miles
    9/6 - 13.6 miles

exercise.png
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    ShortMrsN wrote: »

7/9 - 4km
    9/9 - 4km

@ruqayyahsmum.... so sorry for your loss :(

• ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    9/2/ 1.8
    9/4 1.5
    9/6 3.7
    9/8 2 miles. 21 miles to go!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Nicci93 wrote: »
    Well ran my half marathon on Sunday, and Runkeeper actually said the distance was longer than a half... Since it was the Disneyland Half and I was bouncing between characters for pictures, I'm trusting the extra half mile it recorded :)

9/2 - 2 miles
    9/6 - 13.6 miles

exercise.png

Awesome congrats!!!
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I decided on a treadmill run this evening-my first one in a while. I got in 5 miles. I guess with the more controlled pacing and the fact that there's no terrain helped me get in that longer run. It felt really good, too, so I'll definitely take it!

9/3 4 miles
    9/4 3 miles
    9/6 4 miles
    9/8 5 miles-total of 16 miles out of a goal of 40.

I've got to get in as much as I can this week as I'm in Nashville next week for work. I have friends who live there and we always end up hanging out in the evenings. I'll have to try a short morning run or two to at least get something in while I'm gone.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Are there any HRMs out there that connect to a watch via bluetooth? I use digifit on my phone during my runs and I have a HRM that's a chest strap only and connects with digifit via bluetooth. The problem is that I can't wear my phone on my arm because it rubs and causes injury so I use one of those belt-type things that has a pocket for phones. I can't look at it easily to see my HR or distance though. So I'm wondering if there's a HRM out there that has a watch I can wear but will also connect to digifit on my phone.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,398 Member
    Options
    @ACSL3 - Polar makes a whole line of watches that connect to a HRM (I am sure other brands do as well) but typically devices only have one Bluetooth connection. So if I wear a Polar Loop for example and it connects to my HRM via Bluetooth, during that time it cannot connect to the app on my phone. In this case though it will synch to the app after I disconnect from the HRM. I can also connect another (older) Polar watch, digitally to the HRM, but only one via Bluetooth.

Got up at 5am but didn't make it out until 6:45. Made the mistake of checking in at work and I also wanted it to be a little bit light out. Had a wonderful, humid run but got it in and done before it got too hot. It was well over 95F by 9am and hit and stayed at 103F most of the day. Still 85F now :( and it is supposed to be even warmer tomorrow. Good thing it is my rest day! I am so done with this heat and ready for Fall!

Date.......Miles......Total
    09/01.....7.21.......7.21 - + Strength Training
    09/02.....0.00.......7.21 - Much needed rest day
    09/03.....6.10.....13.31 - + Strength Training
    09/04.....4.38.....17.69
    09/05.....9.38.....27.07
    09/06.....2.00.....29.07 - Dog Beach Sunday
    09/07.....5.04.....34.11 - Too hot to be running!
    09/08.....5.14.....39.25 - + Strength Training

exercise.png
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot to check in and suddenly remembered as I was falling asleep! Busy day today. I was really tired but managed to get a couple of miles in!

9/1 - 2.06 miles (walk)
    9/2 - 2.76 miles (run/walk)
    9/3 - 2.26 miles (walk/run)
    9/4 - 2.82 miles (run/walk)
    9/5 - 5 miles (walking) also kayaked about 4 miles!
    9/6 - 2.16 miles (walk)
    9/7 - approximately 4.42 miles. (Run/walk)
    9/8 - 2 miles (walk)

exercise.png
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Nicci93 Congratulations on your half+ marathon!
    @BanksySJ11 Great achievement completing your first half!

What's next for both of you?

Today I did something today I much enjoy, 1km tempo runs x 3 at the track. One of them I ran with the soccer team, part of our "we won't ask you to do anything we wouldn't do" ethos between the coaches. That's not strictly true but sssh. ;-)

I much prefer fartleks out on the road or trail if for no other reason because I giggle every time I say it. I just can't happily run in circles. Or in ovals. On the plus side, later I had a terrific massage. I don't treat myself to one very often partly for cost but mostly because I've not found someone who can really dig and free me up. Until now. Sweet, sweet pain. I'm going back for more.

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		041.61 km
    Goal:			322 km / 200 miles (16% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Sep 08 04.68 km Pushing it on the track 3x1km
    Sep 07 07.82 km Exploring a different trail to the dog beach
    Sep 06 21.21 km Running gentle hills around the lake, felt great save for blisters
    Sep 05 -----    Life break, coaching soccer 
    Sep 04 07.90 km UBC forest - Date Run Friday!
    Sep 03 -----    More of same
    Sep 02 -----    More of same
    Sep 01 -----    Life break, running an evacuation centre