Snacking throughout the day.... HELP!

Options
I randomly snack on small things throughout the day because I work in a kitchen (of all places :( ) so I am randomly picking up a couple of grapes here, a handful of granola there, a bite or two of this or that just to taste, etc. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this? I know I eat a lot of calories by doing this but I can't seem to stop myself from thinking "oh just a bite of this won't hurt"

Replies

• Schuyler
    Schuyler Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I have a toddler and I am constantly snacking on his food. A few goldfish here, a bite of granola bar or waffle there, a spoonful of mac and cheese. I don't even enjoy it most of the time! I'll be watching for suggestions as well.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You have to have self control. How bad do you want to lose weight?
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    Just an idea: What about having a little (or big!) bowl someplace in the kitchen. Every time you pick up a "taste" of something, drop it into your bowl instead of eating it. During a break, look at your collection and decide what, if anything, you want to consume. Pitch the rest.
  • sjbreeden
    sjbreeden Posts: 10
    Options
    Are you allowed to chew gum? When I chew a strong-flavored gum like mint, it keeps me from wanting other flavors in my mouth. Maybe that would help.
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    writing down everything I eat really helped me, that's one reason MFP works well for me, I have to decide if it's worth eating, if I really want to consume those calories (not food, calories) ... helped me to not eat off the kids plates

good luck
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    i would suggest eating a very filling breakfast maybe oatmeal with fruit in it and then maybe put out a bowl of fresh fruit to snack on, that way if you are snacking at least it will be better for you...
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    have you tried having ice water with you all the time- when you reach for something grab the water first. Or, chew gum... food and gum are not pleasant to eat at the same time.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I always make myself put everything in my food diary. Is it worth it to figure out the calories in those 3 nuts I'm about to eat. "Either eat a whole ounce of them and put it in there or don't eat it at all" is what I tell myself. It works.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Believe that you are strong enough to not take an extra bite. Also.. try to distract yourself with work, or listen to your body and feel whether or not you're full. It's hard... I understand. Also make sure your meals are big and satisfying enough.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I used to work in restaurants, so I know the temptations. I would actually have the best success by allotting myself X number of tastes / bites throughout the day and then counting them as my snacks. If you use an average of 50 cal. / bite, then budgeting in 6 tastes gives you 300 calories of snacks throughout your shift. I would feel a lot less guilt / worry by doing it this way, since I know the tasting is inevitable for me.
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    Try switching to carrots, broccoli, popcorn...

Also try to keep busy. If you get hunger pangs just think of something else to quickly occupy your time.