More intense lower body exercises?

Options
I've been working my legs and hips for the past months with squats and lunges, and they're becoming quite muscular but not where I'd like them. would love to hear of some more intense workouts I can do to really get me sweating at the gym. Thanks!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts. Leg press.

Heavier squats.

• 1bella_a
    1bella_a Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts. Leg press.

Heavier squats.
    Yeah I've been increasing the weight of my squats regularly, but it doesn't feel to be getting any harder. Maybe I should do a bigger jump in weight or just do them more frequently?
  • sarahsamuels82
    sarahsamuels82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If they don't feel hard, you are definitely not lifting heavy enough :)

Try switching to low reps and upping the weight.
  • 1bella_a
    Options

Well they are hard and absolutely take a lot of strength, I'm probably just getting better faster than I'm increasing the weight. Your advice sounds great though, thanks!
  • sarahsamuels82
    Options
    It's a good idea to add something each workout - either more weight (just a small bit) or another rep/set. It's called progressive overload if you want to google it, loads of info about :smile:

I would recommend having a look at some programmes online. Some good ones here:

5x5 strong lifts
    Aworkoutroutine.com
    Starting strength mark rippetoe

Enjoy :)
  • julestar777
    julestar777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try your loaded squats followed by steps up, really supersets legs.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You're limiting yourself by only doing 2 exercises. Get yourself on a proper training program and you'll start seeing results
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    1bella_a wrote: »
    I've been working my legs and hips for the past months with squats and lunges, and they're becoming quite muscular but not where I'd like them

Where you would like them? If you want larger muscles, increase the weight you're using and eat at a calorie surplus. If you're trying to slim them down and reduce the fat, eat a calorie deficit. Fat loss can't be targeted, so the leg exercises you do are irrelevant. :+1:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Walking lunges, lying leg curls, pistol squats, ATG squats, jump squats, stiff legged deadlifts..............the list is endless.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

This is a good suggestion.

You can do one leg day with a heavy pyramid and hit a high weight. Something 3 reps is all out effort. Do that 3 reps 3 times

Then next leg day do a 10 sets of 10 reps burn out. A light weight like 135 gets quite heavy at the end.

A leg day isn't complete without some stuff leg deadlifts to work the bubble booty

If you have the desire to get outside and access to a bicycle, good hard road cycling of speed and duration will smoke your legs and give you a hard cardio day.

A bike will help you get cut if you manage diet.

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've been working my legs and hips for the past months with squats and lunges, and they're becoming quite muscular but not where I'd like them. would love to hear of some more intense workouts I can do to really get me sweating at the gym. Thanks!

Are you training more for strength or hypertrophy?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd add in hip thrusts, deadlifts and bridges. you can also walk on a steep incline if you want to get in some cardio at the same time. Weighted step-ups, calf raises, maybe even add in some more cardio type stuff like box jumps, jump squats, sprints, jumping lunges, etc.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you want fast progression, something like SS or SL add 5lbs to every workout (which means 15lbs of squat increases per week). That will make your squats difficult, quickly.

Or just do widowmakers three times a week if you want to kill yourself.
  • 1bella_a
    Options

This is a good suggestion.

You can do one leg day with a heavy pyramid and hit a high weight. Something 3 reps is all out effort. Do that 3 reps 3 times

Then next leg day do a 10 sets of 10 reps burn out. A light weight like 135 gets quite heavy at the end.

A leg day isn't complete without some stuff leg deadlifts to work the bubble booty

If you have the desire to get outside and access to a bicycle, good hard road cycling of speed and duration will smoke your legs and give you a hard cardio day.

A bike will help you get cut if you manage diet.
    Alright, that sounds like a good plan. I'll definitely start working on deadlifts and generally increasing weight, but is it necessary to do a lot of cardio too? Not very easy to do any uphill biking where I live
  • sarahsamuels82
    Options
    You don't have to do any cardio. When done correctly, you will get a huge cardio benefit from weight training alone. I only ever use cardio if I've eaten way too much
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options

How much are you squatting? Do 5 reps each day, adding 10lbs per day. Your legs should either grow like mad or reach their limit.

Are you trying to gain or lose? Looks like you're trying to lose from your profile. I'd search for info on how to build muscle and lose weight - these things don't normally go together, at least not if you are trying to put on a lot of muscle.

Osric
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you just keep increasing the weight it will get difficult soon enough. I started going to the gym four months ago and i've been able to bump my leg press 5 lbs pretty much every workout and i'm pretty scrawny. I think since the butt is such a large muscle the beginner gains can seem kind of limitless if you weren't really working it before compared to say something like a bicep curl that you will find your max on very quickly and move up much more slowly from there.
  • 1bella_a
    Options

How much are you squatting? Do 5 reps each day, adding 10lbs per day. Your legs should either grow like mad or reach their limit.

Are you trying to gain or lose? Looks like you're trying to lose from your profile. I'd search for info on how to build muscle and lose weight - these things don't normally go together, at least not if you are trying to put on a lot of muscle.

Osric
    Yes, I am trying to lose a bit of weight, not too much. I am sort of hoping it will go together with the exercises I'm doing. It has been working out alright so far. Also, I'm increasing the weight of my squats gradually, so I think I'll find my limit in the next week or so.
    I'm going to be working on deadlifts and lunges too, but is there anything you could recommend specifically? I weigh around 20+ pounds less now

• 001bridget
    001bridget Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thought I should make a post. I would just squat a lot more, and really challenge yourself with how much weight you're pushing. I got quite muscular legs and butt very quickly with doing that by itself. And honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about your weight right now as that should stabilize pretty quickly. You'll look great!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Based on the statement of becoming muscular, my next question would be what is your desired end goal? More muscle tone in certain areas, simply a good exercise to shred some calories, or simply a change of pace to give yourself some variety?

If you are building excess muscle where you don't want it, figuring out where you DO want it might be the first step towards good advice. Which by the way, probably won't come from me, since I've never been into the whole body shaping thing! :)

It sounds like you are putting in the work. Now figure out how to put it in to meet your personal goals.