running shoes, hoka and altra advice please

Options
Hello all, I have a question about running shoes. I bought a pair of hoka stinson atr model shoes last year and was in love. I loved running in them and they were amazing and awesome and fit great. You can probably see where I am headed with this.

I loved running and hiking in them so much that they have holes in them now. I now want a new pair of shoes, so I purchased the mafate speeds, because I kind of liked the quick lace system.

Fast forward to having put 30 miles in them and I dont care about the quick lace anymore. The toe box on these is too small. I am having terrible pains on the top of my right foot near my toes like nobodys business.

I loved the max cushioning of the original stinson atr but the new one I tried on the store is not the same.

So I have been looking into different types of shoes, Altra promises a a wider toe box -- very important to me, and it looks like they have some max cushion models. The olympus, paradigm and torin specifically.

Have any of you tried these and if so how did it work out?

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The ride is going to feel a lot different than the Hoka, but the altra models will give you lots of stack height and a huge toe box. I wouldn't dive in and purchase without trying on though, or at least buy from a place that allows returns. Note the toe to heel differential (the drop) is slightly different with altra being a zero drop shoe.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I bought a pair of hoka stinson atr model shoes last year and was in love. I loved running in them and they were amazing and awesome and fit great."

WHY change from a pair of shoes that you "loved running in", "were amazing" amd "awesome and fit great"?

Did Hoka Stinson go out of business?

Sounds like you found your running shoes and foresook them for a stranger.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    " I bought a pair of hoka stinson atr model shoes last year and was in love. I loved running in them and they were amazing and awesome and fit great."

WHY change from a pair of shoes that you "loved running in", "were amazing" amd "awesome and fit great"?

Exactly. Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the very simple solution to just buy another pair of Hokas?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

Exactly. Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the very simple solution to just buy another pair of Hokas?

Oh I just saw you said you don't like the cushioning on the new version. Did you check to see if the previous one that you liked is available online? They usually are, and quite possibly at a discount. I would look and buy a few pairs if you find them :)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have seen Hokas pop up on Leftlanesports and The Clymb for big discounts, you could also try 6pm.com (these sites are how I've stocked up on all sorts of discontinued shoes).

Hoka is a pretty unique company, but Altra, Vivobarefoot, even Merrell's minimalist line should all offer wider toe boxes.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I just sent back a pair of Merrell's. Toe box was great, cushioning was light, heel was too wide. Had to use the grommets at the very top of the shoe to keep my heel from sliding and it caused ankle problems. Guess I need (am used to) more ankle flexibility.

I tried Altra's last year, can't remember the model and I found them very heavy, stiff, and clunky-feeling.

Right now, I alternate among Hoka Huaka's, a pair of Topo's that you'd love for the toe box but there's no cushioning to speak of, and a pair of Vibram Five Fingers.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love my Hokas, but different models feel very different.mi also run in Asics and Brooks. At the end of the day it boils down to you trying them all on and seeing it for yourself. One piece of advice I was given: do not wear your running shoes for anything else but running.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I've got wide feet, EE or 4E generally. I haven't tried the Hoka's because I've heard they're narrow. I do have several models of Altra's though. I have the max cushion Olympus. Probably half a size too big for me around the ankle. Rest of the shoe feels ok. Not a fan of the max cushion for trails, so they are turning into my long run shoe.
    I have a set of Ones 2. Moderate to minimal cushioning, but feel great. When I've gone into my brooks after my Altras it's felt like I'm running on planks.
    I also have a set of Lone Peak, again probably half a size too big, but I am liking them.
    (I have sizing issues as I've picked them all up second hand. It's not enough to be bad, just that I need to lace a little tighter)
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

The model that I loved the people at the shoe store stopped selling, it was a discontinued shoe. I am pretty sure it was discontinued when I bought it from REI to begin with. I tried their version 3 on and it felt too tight in the toes.

I tried the mafates and after putting 30 miles on them took them back to the place from which they came...limping. I felt fine for my 10 miles I did on monday and then sat down, went to get up and had crazy sharp pains in my foot, waited about a day and then contacted the DR, they did xrays and assured me I didnt break it and blamed the shoe because I do long workouts like that regularly.

My problem is that I have what looks like a textbook foot, with a wide toe spread and high arches. the clunky stinson atrs I had were perfect for running and hiking and only used for that until they got holes.

I am really afraid of minimal shoes because years ago I broke my foot in a pair of new balances, I had religiously used montrail's mountain masochist until I tried the hoka shoe in the first place.

Thanks for all the stores and info. I am sure I will find something that works, and maybe that man just wanted to sell shoes. For now I am waiting to try a pair of olympus and paradigm from roadrunner, since they let me take them back if they dont work.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the Altra's. Just be careful if you're not used to the 0mm drop on shoes.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Marathon runner. 4E width foot. Ran in Asics most of my life. Have ran in Gel_Kayanos for last 2 years. I've recently began experimenting with the Altra Torin. The toe box is wide enough. The Zero drop takes some getting used to. But overall pleased with the shoe.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I will. I am used to the 6 mm drop in the stinsons, and I have to wear orthotics in my running shoes so that changes some things too. I am going to take it slow and work my way back up. I am not a marathon runner, I would like to be so I have been trying to get better at long distances so I do not embarass myself :neutral: /i have not even been brave enough to do a 5k in public yet. I use the treadmill quite a bit along with my weekend trail runs that usually range between 2 and 6 miles.

If these do not work well for what my feet need I looked at some websites and no more stinson atr original model in my size :neutral:

I will try some of these other brands that you guys have mentioned if thats the case. I have my fingers crossed