peoples comments

Options
Am I the only one who feels awkward when people mention my weight loss? I see my MIL at the very least two times a week and she is constantly commenting on it..it was so nice to hear the first couple of times but I don't lose so much weight in 3 days that it needs to be brought up every time. I had a bday I went to for my aunt this past sat with cousins I have not seen in months some a year...and it was great to see their reaction, I had one cousin who I haven't seen in a year walk by me and just say "hi" then 20 mins later come up and appoligize because she didn't recognize me at first. I have only lost 23 lbs but it seems to have all or mostly come off my face so I can see that I guess. But where it got uncomfortable was when the same people continued to comment to me about it. 'You look so you young' ' you are getting better with age' 'I hope I look as good as you when I am 40' ' omg so and so hasn't Michell lost so much weight' these are all great things don't get me wrong but I don't like being the center of attention... Was I flattered of course did it feel good absolutely...but all I could say was 'thank you' I felt very awkward

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Just say thank you and change the subject or distract them in other ways.

I feel sorry for others though - damned if they do, damned if they don't. It seems for every person who doesn't like receiving comments there is another person upset because no one has appeared to notice.
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ohhh don't get me wrong. I LOVE ...ABSOLUTELY LOVE that they notice..makes me feel all this hard work is paying off...and I probably would be a little discouraged if no one noticed...its when its over load I feel awkward. As I said I have never liked being the center of attention...probably stems from being so over weight my whole life and hiding in a corner.. I am extremely flattered at everyone's comments... I just feel awkward because I am not used to it at all
  • seraphicdoctor
    seraphicdoctor Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't like being the center of attention either. Do you accept praise and compliments from people with ease or is that a struggle? When we change outwardly, I think it takes us a bit to adjust inwardly to the way people respond to us. That is just my thoughts. Congratulations on your dedication and work and becoming healthier!
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I accept with ease..only because I know if I don't accept it will go on and on. Lol its just going to take some getting used to...I am pretty introverted (unless I am drinking.....liquid courage) but I don't really drink anymore...so yeah I struggle with attention...guess there are much worse problems to have in the world..I should feel blessed