Should I still workout when I am sick?

so I've been back on my fitness pal and beginning my fitness journey the natural way with no fads.
I have a copy of Kayla Itsines for workouts however am just a little to unfit to start these.

I began by doing Hiit on the spin bike last week, three times a week. A minute down and a minute standing up for 25mins.

The thing is that coupled with a couple of drinks on Friday has left me with a cold and feeling crappy not to mention uni.

My question is should I wait till I'm feeling better or continue on, because it feels like just when I get going with working out, I'm sick again.

Replies

• Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Is your cold above or below the neck? If it is above, it is fine to continue exercise - perhaps at a reduced level if breathing is an issue. I will still go for a jog rather than a run with a cold as it does help with not feeling so sorry for myself. Even just going a bit easier on the spin bike is fine. Listen to your body but a cold is not a reason to completely cease all exercise as in fact, it can assist in helping your breathing

Get better soon!
  • nichewl
    nichewl Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you! It is mostly above, no chest infection as yet just a tap for a nose! I went for a long walk instead but will hit the bike again tomorrow
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    just please dont go to the gym if youre contagious LOL
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Ive heard the above and below the neck rule, but tbh I listen to my body and if im ill then I switch into getting better as your workout will be sub par anyway. Its part of the process. Exercising when you are not well might set you back further.

Listen to your body and review it in 4 days.

Whilst you are off, then theres no reason you cna learn more about weight loss and review your plan to make sure its effective. Keep weighing and logging your food. Read up on different exercise etc.

I wouldnt describe that as hiit and at the beginning id just go for progressive steady state cardio on soemthing you cna manage even if its walking instead of catching the bus around campus.

Think about starting a progressive lifting program like strong lifts (ask on the fitness forums). Resistance work is just as importnat as cardio.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Yoga's really good with a cold (but don't go contagious to a class, either). I don't run fevers easily, so I usually go by whether I have any fever. I work out at home, so I don't have to worry about infecting anyone. Take some head cold medicine and do something more gentle than you have been and feel better!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    My husband swears that a good bike, run or workout and a steam help rid him of a cold. It works for him. Me? I prefer to sit around with my tissue and a hot drink....... Do what you are able to do. :)
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    I figure if you are sick your body is saying "just hold on a second I'm busy trying to fight some nasties right now, could you just keep quiet and let me get on with it". So eat at or just above maintenance to give your body the resources it needs and just rest.

Also, be considerate and don't spread your germs.
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    just please dont go to the gym if youre contagious LOL
    x2 what this person said! I say work out as long as you can and you're hydrated but just like people coming into work sick ( I blame the higher ups for that) I can't stand when people are in the gym sick. We all sweat on the same stuff, touch all the .... Well you get the point but by all means, sweat it out (just by yourself ;) )

Good luck