What size kettlebell for a beginner ?

Options
How many pounds did you start with ?

I'm thinking about adding some kettlebell exercises but not sure what weight to use. I am a beginner, not a heavy lifter, and I work out at home. In addition to cardio (bike, walk, punching bag) I have been using 10 and 12 pound dumbbells for strength training. Would I start with a 20 pound kettlebell or is that too little ?

Also, if you have a link to a good beginner kettlebell workout that would be helpful too.

Replies

• RaeB1013
    RaeB1013 Posts: 265 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Start with a 15 lb Kettlebell. I was a beginner about 1 month-ish ago (still am!) and LAUGHED when a friend of mine (a personal trainer, just not mine-I don't have one, lol) told me to use 15 lbs. I thought it was too light. Even when I went to the store and picked it up, I stood in the aisle for 20 minutes debating on the 15 lbs or 20 lbs. I ultimately decided to listen to the advice I was given and go for 15 lbs. I am so glad I did! The workout I do (Jillian Michaels' Shred It w/ Weights) is killer and 15 lbs is perfect. There were actually times throughout the workout where I thought a 12 lbs Kettlebell would have been better! I am hoping to graduate to a 20 lb Kettlebell by Christmas (they're expensive and I want to be sure I'm ready for the jump in weight).
    Hope that helps, and happy Kettlebelling! :)
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would be doing the same thing in the store, flipping back and forth between the two.

Thanks for the info.