HELP-going camping and need food ideas!

Options
JatieKo621
JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
Ok so I am going to be camping for 4 days with friends, and they are all going to be eating hot dogs and doritos the entire time so I need some ideas for healthy options. We only have a small camp stove so I am trying to think of things that I can take that I do not need to cook and also that won't spoil easily.

I want things that will fill me up and also give energy (we will be doing a lot of hiking and walking) so any ideas are appreciated!

Replies

• monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    cheese sticks should hold up well in a cooler. apples, veggies dogs?, peanut butter and low cal bread with maybe low sugar fruit spread. would hard boiled eggs be ok in a cooler? maybe not. protein water or packets, still thinking... :)
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Trail mix, nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter, whole grain bread/crackers, fresh fruit....granola....running out of ideas....not really a camper, sorry.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    frozen chicken breast, individually wrapped? banana before hiking good for energy. I would go heavy on fruits and fresh veggies, zucchini are good raw or cooked. tomatoes, green peppers and don't need to be refrigerated for a couple of days in shade.

freeze whatever you can so it stays longer in the cooler. bacon, eggs, baked potatoes for energy too.

special K chips are pretty good with some laughing cow cheese. and you get 30 chips for a serving! : )
  • StephanieLPN
    StephanieLPN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd pre-package some things like home made trail mix in individual packages, chicken works pretty well on a fire if you wrap it in aluminum foil and let it cook that way. Would it be possible to do healthier hotdogs? like chicken or turkey? You could pull double duty with frozen things like fruits and veggies, they can help keep the cooler cold and provide you with some healthier options for meals and snacks.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    oatmeal, tuna fish packs, shake mix (protein shakes), brown or wild rice premeasured... Ill try to think of a few more.
  • mariaceballos
    Options
    Hello, my name is Maria, I have couple ideas... :) You can bring a whatermelon, lost of fruit that dont need to be in the refrigerator, like canned fruit the works well, some granola bars and milks shakes like slim fast and stuff like that, I know is going to be hard but you can do it....... have fun vacation :)
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    we just had jennie-o turkey dogs (70 cal) today and on a slice of 45 cal bread (ditch the bun), it's very low cal. you can also take lettuce and some sandwich meats (at least for day 1 and 2). don't forget canned foods, you don't need to warm them up if you don't mind cold chili, southwest beans, stew, soup, etc (don't for get a can opener or make sure the cans have a pop top lid). also, if you're using your stove to make water for coffee then take some instant oatmeal packets.

good luck and have fun :)
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    You may want to specify if you are backpacking or car-camping. Some of these ideas are not realistic if you are backpacking.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys! I have been pretty good with eating healthy but I have never gone camping while trying to watch what I eat so this is a different thing for me. The canned food sounds like a good idea, I fill up easily on cannelini beans and don't mind then cold. Also the trail mix is a good idea, I've been meaning to make my own (a lot healthier and less sugars) with rasins and raw almonds/dried fruit/what not, so that is something I will definitely take.

I will be car camping not backpacking so it will be easier to have more options on hand.

I appreciate all the help!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    fruits and veggies, nuts, 100 calorie snack packages, lots and lots of water, low calorie bread and lunch meats, skinny cow cheeses, peanut butter come to mind. Getting ready to start camping soon so this is a good time to start planning those meals.