Went to doctor yesterday and got weighed....

Options
....197 pounds. Holy crap...how did all of that catch up to me? I am healthy otherwise, though. My doctor suggested creating an account on My Fitness Pal to track my food and workouts. I am not crazy about having to log in all the time...I'm afraid I will fail...but I don't want to become obese like my mom and her mom....it definitely added to their demise. Can I get some suggestions on how to stay inspired? And maybe some success stories? Thankssssss!

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)

You clearly have a decent doctor if he suggested a community like this. When my doctor told me I was overweight, his advice was "Just cut out all carbs!". Not helpful! You'll get used to the food tracking and logging - it helps to pre-plan your days the night before so you know exactly what you are going to be eaten. There is a great section on here for success stories where people post their 'before and after' shots, I love getting inspiration from there. MFP is a fantastic place to get advice and support so stick with it and you'll do well here. Best of luck :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of threads that have great advice:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Also check out the Success Stories portion of the forum.

Basically ... just start logging what you eat, then see what tweaks you can make. Don't go overboard and cut calories too far.

If you haven't already, I suggest downloading the MFP app to your phone. You can enter each meal as you eat it (or just before :wink:) without a lot of fuss. If it helps, try setting an alarm to remind you.

You've got this. You can do it!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I don't want to become obese like my mom and her mom....it definitely added to their demise."

What more "inspiration" do you need?
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    It'll take some getting used to, but you'll get there!! You got this! Make some friends, especially people who are doing what you want to do. I find seeing others on my news feed makes it a little more fun. Just remember not to send s friend request without writing a little note as well; lots of people will automatically decline a blank friend request.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I am not crazy about having to log in all the time...I'm afraid I will fail.

It is the logging that keeps you focused and accountable. Every day. Every food. It's when you stop logging that you start saying, "screw it" and the next thing you know you are eating a calorie surplus and don't even know it.

Also realize that there is no such thing as failure unless you quit for good. Every day you can start again and even if you blow it for a day it is unlikely that you will put yourself into a caloric surplus and regardless just start again the next day.

Log, log, log. Weigh in, weigh in, weigh in. focus.
  • coopertage
    coopertage Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh thank you so much to all who have replied so far. So encouraging! In logging just my foods that I have had so far today, it has become pretty evident that I am having too much sugar already! And its stuff that i thought was healthy "good" food. Eye-opening!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Worry more about the calories than the macros if you are trying to lose weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A tip I learned from my weight loss team is to not set myself up with "perfect" goals, like logging all my food all the time for the rest of my life. An achievable goal might be; "I will log everything that goes in my mouth for the next six days and review the results". You might change the goal for the following week to, "I will log all my meals five out of seven days, and stay close to my calorie target". And so on.
  • eleanorella1989
    eleanorella1989 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    LMFAO! I'm surprised by all the stories on here about doctors recommeding this site. You guys are so incredibly lucky to have such awesome doctors!!!!! A few months ago my doctor tricked me into going to the bathroom and using the cup (which I thought was for my diabetes, so I did it) and then she came back in the room and she said they tested me for being pregnant and told me I came back negative and then she said she wanted me to get my blood drawn, even though I told her that I knew for a fact that I wasn't pregnant, so I didn't bother doing my labs, especially because I had gone the week before for my diabetes. I went through all that because I gained 20 pounds this year. After feeling humiliated by my doctor and family I decided to give this site another try. It's overwhelming but I have faith in getting to where I need to be if I stay focused. Losing this weight is important to me right now than anything else in my life. It's horrifying to see your doctor make you go through tests, and to see your family come up to you asking you if you're pregant when you know you're not. I'm pretty sure when you're pregnant your family is one of the first people to know, so I was amazed that my mom and sister thought I was knocked up just because I'm fat. All it made me want to do is go stuff my face and cry, but then I remembered this site from when I tried it out last year. I've been on here for two weeks now and I don't plan on giving up on it. I wish my doctor had recommended me this site instead of making things worse.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    LMFAO! I'm surprised by all the stories on here about doctors recommeding this site. You guys are so incredibly lucky to have such awesome doctors!!!!! A few months ago my doctor tricked me into going to the bathroom and using the cup (which I thought was for my diabetes, so I did it) and then she came back in the room and she said they tested me for being pregnant and told me I came back negative and then she said she wanted me to get my blood drawn, even though I told her that I knew for a fact that I wasn't pregnant, so I didn't bother doing my labs, especially because I had gone the week before for my diabetes. I went through all that because I gained 20 pounds this year. After feeling humiliated by my doctor and family I decided to give this site another try. It's overwhelming but I have faith in getting to where I need to be if I stay focused. Losing this weight is important to me right now than anything else in my life. It's horrifying to see your doctor make you go through tests, and to see your family come up to you asking you if you're pregant when you know you're not. I'm pretty sure when you're pregnant your family is one of the first people to know, so I was amazed that my mom and sister thought I was knocked up just because I'm fat. All it made me want to do is go stuff my face and cry, but then I remembered this site from when I tried it out last year. I've been on here for two weeks now and I don't plan on giving up on it. I wish my doctor had recommended me this site instead of making things worse.

A LOT of doctors test for pregnancy regardless of what the patient tells them, not to be rude, but because patients may not know, or have been known to lie, don't take it to heart. Your family however are a different matter :(

I've discussed this and another type of slimming group with my doctor and she wasn't aware of what they do, so maybe you're doctor didn't feel qualified to give you a recommendation if they don't know how the group works? Better no advice than bad advice.

You've been brave enough to come on here, now you know what you need to do so it's time to knuckle down, you have hundreds of people on here that will support you, best of luck :)
  • rugratz2015
    Options
    coopertage wrote: »
    ....197 pounds. Holy crap...how did all of that catch up to me? I am healthy otherwise, though. My doctor suggested creating an account on My Fitness Pal to track my food and workouts. I am not crazy about having to log in all the time...I'm afraid I will fail...but I don't want to become obese like my mom and her mom....it definitely added to their demise. Can I get some suggestions on how to stay inspired? And maybe some success stories? Thankssssss!

Well done for taking the first step and coming on here, logging is boring and repetitive, however, after a week you will find it easier as it becomes more of a habit, best of luck :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I consider what your doctor did to you @eleanorella1989 to be unethical. She lied about the purpose of the test and betrayed your trust. You can complain.

http://mn.gov/health-licensing-boards/medical-practice/public/complaints/how-to-file-faq.jsp

https://www.ratemds.com/
  • droidgreg30
    droidgreg30 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Welcome! I too started using myfitnesspal, then would stop using it shortly after. I just recently reinstalled it on my phone and made a meal plan that I am going to follow. Basically I am sick of the yo-yo of weight loss and weight gain. My wife (stay-at-home mom) and I food prep at the beginning of the week (usually Sunday) so that our meals are done and ready for "heat and eat." I find that works great and allows more free time during the week, etc.

You mentioned that you are already noticing that you are eating too much sugar. What are the foods that you have been logging so far (if you don't mind me asking)? Maybe others can help to find better alternatives. I find most of my "negative/empty" foods are snacking items, usually while at work...however, this week is "game time." I am logging in, sticking to my meal plan (adjusting as needed), and staying faithful to my workouts.
  • mrsdrshot
    mrsdrshot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you, from someone who has had a number of false starts... the beginning is SUPER HARD! Don't get discouraged though, because after just a few days (especially if you add just a little exercise, like some evening walks or something) you'll find that you're starting to feel so good, you won't want to stop. A girlfriend of mine said "the first three days of eating right: I feel like I could chew the hind leg off a horse!" and she's right. Don't give up though! You can find new foods you really like, and while writing everything down can seem daunting at first, it's easy once you get started and kind of fun. Like a game! Let me know if you'd like to be friends on here and we can chat about whatever you want. I was about your weight when I started (again) and lost a bunch and re-gained some, so I'm working on it again. Very, very best of luck to you.
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Feel free to read my profile. I've had tremendous success despite having to overcome some life threating medical conditions. Once you get use to logging your food it will become second nature and won't be a problem. Don't let being afraid to fail cause you to fail to try. I realize this may seem overwhelming to you, but with a positive mindset, dedication and hard work, you can do this!

Also, there a very large community to help keep your motivation high. Don't be afraid to as for help if you need it.

• eleanorella1989
    eleanorella1989 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

A LOT of doctors test for pregnancy regardless of what the patient tells them, not to be rude, but because patients may not know, or have been known to lie, don't take it to heart. Your family however are a different matter :(

I've discussed this and another type of slimming group with my doctor and she wasn't aware of what they do, so maybe you're doctor didn't feel qualified to give you a recommendation if they don't know how the group works? Better no advice than bad advice.

You've been brave enough to come on here, now you know what you need to do so it's time to knuckle down, you have hundreds of people on here that will support you, best of luck :)

Thanks for the support. :]

• rugratz2015
    Options
    You're welcome eleanorella1989 x
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ....197 pounds. Holy crap...how did all of that catch up to me? I am healthy otherwise, though. My doctor suggested creating an account on My Fitness Pal to track my food and workouts. I am not crazy about having to log in all the time
    The app on the iPhone is pretty slick; I presume the one on Android is similar or identical. Or use the web. Thankfully the login info is remembered, so once you have a little eating and exercise history entered entries become very quick since you just reuse an older entry.

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Like any program it takes commitment and dedication. Helping others by logging in daily and commenting will help your success. Making small changes at first and getting some form of exercise, however little at first, will give you a feeling of accomplishment. Log everything that goes in your mouth even if you are over your daily goals. This will show you where to make adjustments. Do it for yourself and let no one get in your way!!! You Rock!!!