how to shop when you're broke and have a family

Options
I don't know how else to title this. I would like some help or suggestions on how to shop to feed a family when you are poor. It's myself and 3 kids (3, 13, 14) on about $26k a year. I barely have enough to keep us in milk and bread. I don't know how to shop to make the most of it. I buy as much fresh fruits and veggies as possible and I avoid the center of the grocery store to avoid the processed foods. I try to keep us in sandwich fixin's, sandwich meats, peanut butter, eggs etc. My kids eat a ton of cereal and I'm trying to wean them off of cereal bc I know it's not healthy. I know it doesn't make much of a difference but I try to stick to cheerio's, mini wheats, raisin bran etc. I buy ground turkey and chicken breast when I can.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been racking my brain trying to make this work. At this point it's no bad that it comes down to paying a bill or buying food. Our cupboards are bare! I'm trying to keep us healthy and continue losing weight.

Replies

• ShelliesTrying
    ShelliesTrying Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just to add I shop at Wal-Mart bc it is all we have other than a couple small, local owned grocery stores and Wal-Mart is much cheaper. I have read lots and lots of articles about how to feed yourself on a budget but not for a family-that maintain a healthy diet. You can spend $10 and get 10 freezer meals and those are full of all kinds of not-so-good for you stuff.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your income qualifies you for SNAP benefits - are you utilizing this program? If not, that's a good place to start.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I don't qualify bc I make a few hundred dollars over the income guidelines.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I do get occasional child support and they count that in your income regardless of reliability on the payors part. I use the cs for the kids needs, which I know food is, but I don't count on it as part of my income bc it comes and goes. If that makes any sense.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you have food banks in your area?
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Big bags of pasta, rice, tins of cheap tomatoes for sauces, can make some lovely filling vegetable curries with a little meat in. Stews and cheap cuts slow cooked. Cottage pies made with beef padded out with red lentils.

Check out Google and search for low cost meals. In the uk we had "a girl called jack" that published a book of meals the cost pennies. A local library might be able to get you low cost cookbooks if you see any mentioned on your Internet searches.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I think there is one in the area, maybe. I am really looking for advice on how to shop, what things to buy to make the most of what money I have to spend.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Are there any assistance programs where you are? That would be a good place to start. I'm not sure what kind of grocery stores you have near you but I have found places with bulk bins can be pretty cheap. Things like dried beans and lentils can me made into soups. Cooking cheaper cuts of meat in the crock pot can make them fall apart tender.
    We're getting to the end of summer, but are there any roadside stands or local farms where you can purchase produce?
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs are usually cheaper and are tasty...take the skin off and it's not bad calorie wise.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Big bags of pasta, rice, tins of cheap tomatoes for sauces, can make some lovely filling vegetable curries with a little meat in. Stews and cheap cuts slow cooked. Cottage pies made with beef padded out with red lentils.

Check out Google and search for low cost meals. In the uk we had "a girl called jack" that published a book of meals the cost pennies. A local library might be able to get you low cost cookbooks if you see any mentioned on your Internet searches.

You know what I have a cookbook about that, not sure if it's the same one you referenced but I will pull that out this weekend. Thanks!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a Big Lots in your area, they have pretty heavily discounted canned goods. You just have to check the expiration dates.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My walmart marks their meats down on Saturday mornings about 10 am. I usually stock up and plan my meals for the week around what they have on sale. Bags of brown rice is pretty inexpensive as is frozen veggies. A lot of times, frozen is cheaper than fresh and just as good in my opinion. Bananas are always cheap and you can freeze them to make smoothies or ice cream type desserts. Sweet potatoes are really versatile and relatively inexpensive. If you have a sam's or Costco near by, that might be something to look in to as far as buying in bulk. I know their cereals are a lot cheaper than walmart as are cleaning products. I don't have a lot of advise but I hope what I've mentioned helps. Also, great job on trying to feed your family well and being resourceful.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    We don't have a Big Lots! in the area. Closest one that I am aware of is probably 125+ miles away
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's not an easy thing to do. You are doing a great job trying. My suggestions are to

Buy frozen veggies. They're usually cheaper and you don't have to worry about them going bad.

Make oatmeal instead of cereal. It's super cheap and you can mix it up many ways. My kids like it with some brown sugar and raisins with chopped apples. You can also make a big batch at a time so all you have to do is heat up a bowl when needed.

Buy cheaper cuts of meat like bone in chicken breast, whole chickens, thighs, etc They also have more flavor than just breast. Just take the skin off.

Rice is a super cheap filler. We eat a lot of it, lots of different ways.

I don't really have any suggestions for sandwich fixings.

Soups are great. You can have roast chicken with rice and veggies one day and throw the leftovers in a pot with broth to make a soup for the next day.

• ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I live in a rural area. Any bulk stores are 2 hours away. I do make it a couple times a year. I buy lots of fozen veggies. I don't buy a lot of canned foods in general. My 3yo loves all veggies so I try to keep sugar snap peas, cucumbers, sweet peppers and stuff like that for her. I try to keep apples, bananas and oranges as well. When other fruits are on sale I will buy those as well.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    A goal of mine is to prepare meals for the week ahead on the weekends. I am generally so busy I haven't been able to accomplish that yet. Kids will devour a pot of beans as well, luckily!
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I thought rice wasn't really all that good for you. I buy rice but don't make it often, I will look into that more and try to add it in more often. We eat A LOT of peanut butter sandwiches! Esp me and my 3yo, haha.
  • amandadunwoody
    amandadunwoody Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing a lot of the things I would recommend. I'd watch the ads of the local groceries because they will have sale items to try to get people on the door. If it's an item walmart carries you don't have to go to the grocery, just price match at walmart.

Also, I know people that buy only store brand items. Sale prices for national brand items are often better.

Do you use coupons? Walmart honors manufacturer coupons and competitors coupons.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    I have not used coupons. I don't know how people get into that, haha. When I see coupons they are usually for items that we don't use or eat so I never look for coupons. I will check into that. I do buy a lot of store brands.
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I bought a 10 lb bag of leg quarters for $3.50 with a competitor's ad at wal-mart this past weekend. Normal price was around $7. I cook it either in BBQ sauce or Italian dressing which is also very cheap. Also, chicken and dumplings with cornbread go a long way and is not expensive at all. It's a good thing your kids like veggies!!