I completely fell off the weight loss wagon... Help.

Options
I don't know how to gain back my motivation. I feel like all I do is lay around and eat. I know I want to exercise but I keep wanting fast results and I'm having trouble loving my body along the journey :(

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    How important is it to you to reach your goal? Is it more important than the temporary 'full' feeling over-eating gives you? How do you see yourself in a years time? How would you LIKE to see yourself in a years time? Is there exercise you wish you could do but can't right now? Do you feel healthy?

These are the questions you need to ask yourself before you consider 'jumping back on the wagon' :)
    You need to want to do this for the right reasons else there is absolutely no way you'll stick with this.
    As cliche as this sounds - but it really does need to be a lifestyle change, else you will fail and restart many, many times.

Best of luck :smile:
  • Incredicandy
    Incredicandy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Seeing myself here in a year is something I obviously want. I went through extensive chemotherapy, radiation and surgery to try and save my life. Yes I have some limitations due to surgery but it's nothing I feel I can't handle. I just need to take baby steps again because I was at that "gym flow" stage and now I'm here watching Netflix with my dog lol. Netflix with my dog isn't bad! But it's not where I want to be at the moment. I want to change so many things but the motivation is just wayyyy down right now due to poor choices lately. It could be an emotional response that I'm having but I definitely want to be healthy.
  • trinaroark
    trinaroark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good advice. I have trouble resisting snacks. Especially after dinner while relaxing. Any advice?
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Seeing myself here in a year is something I obviously want. I went through extensive chemotherapy, radiation and surgery to try and save my life. Yes I have some limitations due to surgery but it's nothing I feel I can't handle. I just need to take baby steps again because I was at that "gym flow" stage and now I'm here watching Netflix with my dog lol. Netflix with my dog isn't bad! But it's not where I want to be at the moment. I want to change so many things but the motivation is just wayyyy down right now due to poor choices lately. It could be an emotional response that I'm having but I definitely want to be healthy.

Hey, netflix with the dog is NEVER a bad thing! :)

It's good to see you here and I have no doubt you'll get to where you want to be if you stay focused and motivated. When I lack motivation, I log on here (hence why i'm on here a LOT!). It won't be easy but it doesn't have to be a struggle either.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I am just getting my motivation back. It has been slow going but I think I am back on track. It has been an hour by hour, minute by minute kind of thing. I will be sitting on the couch and want to eat this or that. I will tell myself I have to wait 15 minutes, another 15 minutes and see how far I can push it off. Or I have to do some type of exercise before I can eat whatever. I am staring to have more good days than bad days and yesterday was an awesome day. Be kind to yourself and know you are worth it. :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Netflix with the dog is a good thing FOLLOWING a walk in the park with the dog. Good for both of you.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Pick one healthy thing that you can do every day, no matter what. When it all goes to hell, do your one thing. That way, you feel you're still on track. We all have bad days, bad weekends. The difference between those who achieve their goals and those who don't are the ones that do get themselves back on track as soon as possible. So, when you have a bad day, do 10 push ups. Eat a piece of fruit. Something that makes YOU feel like you're still making progress. I have 2, high energy dogs. And, if I'm up for it or not, they need walked or I don't get to sleep. So that's my thing. If I have a feel like crud day and eat all the things, I'm still gonna walk my dogs. My heart rate is still gonna go up. I'm still gonna get my steps in. So the next day, I don't feel like I threw everything away.

It gets easier to get back up the longer you do this, I promise.
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a very lazy person, and know I won't keep up with anything that will require me to go out of my way. To counteract this: I got a digital food scale to make sure my diet is on-point, pre-log so I don't have to think about food too much, and bought heavy weights so I can lift while watching tv :wink: and NO CARDIO.

I don't think long-term weight loss can or should depend on motivation, which comes and goes depending on how stressful the rest of our life is, mood, health, etc. It needs to become a part of our long-term daily habit, so that the short-term impact of NOT doing it becomes more bothersome (i.e. immediate drop in energy, bloating, no work-out high, guilt, etc) and doing it becomes the easier option.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Buy a stationary bike. Then you can watch Netflix with your dog WHILE exercising, plus you can't eat mindlessly while on the bike. Win/win.
  • catbhn21
    catbhn21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've never been any good at losing weight. I've been trying to lose 5 to 10 pounds since I was in high school and even as a competitive athlete I couldn't find the motivation. Now I finally started exercising and eating healthy, but I told myself it's not to lose weight so I don't get discouraged. Instead I'm trying to just be healthier and see if diet and exercise can help with my chronic headaches. I've actually lost a few pounds, so I I'm pretty happy. For me, it was just a matter of setting realistic goals, knowing my body, and finding healthy food and exercise that I like. And allowing myself sweets, beer, and laziness in moderation without guilt :smile:
  • byrdiegrrrl
    byrdiegrrrl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I could probably out-lazy you any day of the week! Exercise is really hard for me so I started off just making small changes that I didn't get overwhelmed by. If you want weight loss to last a lifetime, you need to make changes you can stick with right? So for me I did things like replace my sugary morning cereal with zero fat Greek yogurt and berries which I LOVE and keeps me fuller longer, replacing the cream in my coffee with almond milk, and cutting out all soda/juice and drinking only water with lemon. These simple changes alone could save upwards of 500 calories a day which leads to a loss of two pounds every two weeks without even exercising (that's about 40 lbs a year). For me those changes were easy but maybe you LOVE milk in your coffee and can't give it up....so you'll find something else that you don't care that much about and change that (and tackle the stuff you DO care about later down the line). Baby steps. Talk a walk for ten or twenty minutes. Or five! That's five more minutes than yesterday! ANY change you make is huge! And effective. And will lead to more. Good luck, girl! Never give up!!!!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im the laziest person i know (probably not LOL) but i make myself go to the gym each day, and figur out what im eating, and what i can work in.

if its important to you, you do it. for me, its not an option.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Buy a stationary bike. Then you can watch Netflix with your dog WHILE exercising, plus you can't eat mindlessly while on the bike. Win/win.

This! :D
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    preeJAY wrote: »
    I'm a very lazy person, and know I won't keep up with anything that will require me to go out of my way. To counteract this: I got a digital food scale to make sure my diet is on-point, pre-log so I don't have to think about food too much, and bought heavy weights so I can lift while watching tv :wink: and NO CARDIO.

I don't think long-term weight loss can or should depend on motivation, which comes and goes depending on how stressful the rest of our life is, mood, health, etc. It needs to become a part of our long-term daily habit, so that the short-term impact of NOT doing it becomes more bothersome (i.e. immediate drop in energy, bloating, no work-out high, guilt, etc) and doing it becomes the easier option.

I totally agree with this. I don't believe in relying on motivation for weight loss. We need to set ourselves up for success so that we're not constantly fighting some battle against ourselves. We are inclined to eventually seek the path of least resistance, so make that path lead to weight loss by incorporating physical activity and diet in ways that aren't painful. The painless swaps described by byrdiegrrrl are the perfect example. I get most of my physical activity from walking 1 hour each way to and from work. So much easier to motivate myself to just walk that go for a serious gym workout. But I burn just as many, if not more calories by the end of the week (and I can stick to it consistently).