How Long did it take you to get ripped? Tips Welcome...

Options
So, I've been working out pretty consistently over the last year. I've probably thrown in a few too many cheat days over the year, but I have lost 17 lbs and gained some muscle. I try to combo a good bit of weights and cardio exercises. I alternate between the two every day with one rest day a week. I feel like I am still a good ways away from having "the" desired six pack. I could probably lose 10 - 15 more lbs, but I don't really want to. I'd rather stay the same or maybe lose 5 - 10, but just get the desired look. I'm 6' 1, 214 lbs. I guess I feel like I've plateaued a bit.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    How do you know you gained some muscle?

Why do you want a six pack? What is it going to do for you?

What's the point in losing more weight if you don't want to?

• jez_4ever
    jez_4ever Posts: 68 Member
    Options

- Keep in mind I lost about 25 lbs, but gained some back as I began strength training. I know it's muscle because I can lift a heck of a lot more than when I started a year ago.
    - Mostly because I guess I'm a little vain...I wanna look good :wink:
    - The point would be that I might have to in order to see my abs better.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    jez_4ever wrote: »

- Keep in mind I lost about 25 lbs, but gained some back as I began strength training. I know it's muscle because I can lift a heck of a lot more than when I started a year ago.
    - Mostly because I guess I'm a little vain...I wanna look good :wink:
    - The point would be that I might have to in order to see my abs better.

Gaining strength doesn't mean you gained muscle... one can come without the other.

Well it's up to you.

Well it's up to you.

Do whatever... just create a caloric deficit, lift heavy to maintain muscle, and do cardio if you want more calories...

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    A few less cheat days and you will get there sooner, whatever it is you think you need to be at.

Perfect time to post this...

"Looking like a fitness model or CrossFit competitor isn't and never will be a moderate approach. The marketing that has sprung up around 12-week transformations or the assumption that simply copying someone’s supposed routine with yield the same results is all pure *kitten*. Bikini is probably far worse for this, as endless camps have formed promising a “stage ready” body in only 12 weeks time. These are marketed toward women who have zero experience training and dieting."

Like the article states, this applies to women and men.
  • jez_4ever
    Options
    A few less cheat days and you will get there sooner, whatever it is you think you need to be at.

"Looking like a fitness model or CrossFit competitor isn't and never will be a moderate approach. The marketing that has sprung up around 12-week transformations or the assumption that simply copying someone’s supposed routine with yield the same results is all pure *kitten*. Bikini is probably far worse for this, as endless camps have formed promising a “stage ready” body in only 12 weeks time. These are marketed toward women who have zero experience training and dieting."

I totally agree. I've working hard for a year now. I just need to cut the cheat/crap days for sure!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed but make protein in your diet a priority.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    jez_4ever wrote: »

I totally agree. I've working hard for a year now. I just need to cut the cheat/crap days for sure!

Problem solved.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Well I won't say I'm ripped... yet. But I'm working towards it and I really like the results I've gotten. I have about 5 more pounds to go to hit my weight goal. Been at it for about 2 years now. Lost 42 pounds total. It's been a slow process but I opted for that approach. Like you I've gained a ton of strength and stamina. I currently do a 4-3 weights/cardio days split.

Sometime this fall/winter when I hit my weight goal I will do my first bulk and hopefully the following cut after that will be where I can really start seeing the rewards for all my efforts. :)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Losing fat and getting your abs to show is all diet. You have to create a caloric deficit to get there. If you want to know how much fat you have lost and muscle gained or lost you need to track your weight and body fat % to truly get there. I agree with the above poster that gaining strength isn't always a sign you have gained muscle.. not saying you have not. I highly recommend lifting heavy 80-85% of your max where you can only do 4-6 reps, do heavy compound lifting with presses and free weights and you will gain muscle. You have to overload your muscles.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Takes a long time and a lot of hard work is about all I can say. The main thing is to remain consistent and be patient. Results will come as long as you keep working towards a goal.
  • plyadnov
    plyadnov Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately key to getting ripped is probably 98% diet and 2% exercise. Once you get down to about 10-12% bodyfat, your 6-pack will begin to show. Having said that, this will depend on where you carry your fat. If it's in the lower extremities and arms, you might see those abs sooner than those who carry it around their mid-section.

Make protein be your best friend. Carbs and fats have to be cut way down. If you like to go out at night and have a drink or two, get the best bang for your buck...shots or vodka sodas (least number of calories for highest alcohol percentage). Also remember that each shot/drink is still about 200 calories (roughly)...so having 5 of them puts you at half of your daily calorie intake...hope you skipped that breakfast, lunch, and maybe dinner if you plan on going out after.

At the gym start doing ab exercises that involve weights...simple crunches won't cut it.

Good luck!
  • jez_4ever
    Options
    Thanks Y'all, very helpful stuff!!
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    demo_man wrote: »
    At 6' 1'' depending on how much muscle your body is able to build and retain but after 1 year lifting I think you would be ripped at 155-165. A truly gifted natural guy at that height would be ripped at 175-185. I am 5'4" and 145lbs ripped right now but people think that I'm 160-170lbs because it's an illusion when you have good muscle mass and definition.

I find this interesting. Maybe I am grossly underestimating my body fat percentage, but I am 6'2" and according to my calculations I have somewhere between 180-190 lbs lean body mass (I did a 3 point ultrasound BF calculation), so I am hoping at 200 (I am currently 235) I will be at a low enough body fat percentage to see my abs at least (thinking about 10% body fat). Perhaps that is unrealistic.