Food Scale?

Options
Should I purchase a food scale? Is it a good investment? Opinions please. Thanks

Replies

• Eugene174
    Eugene174 Posts: 4
    Options
    I use my scale for almost everything. I believe it was well worth it!
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Invest in a digital one...then there is no guess work.. and ABSOLUTELY wrth it is every way!!
  • kmalex
    kmalex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes. Wal-mart has a cheap 15 dollar one that is digital and works great. Mainstays brand. Worth every penny.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yes, a food scale makes it a thousand times easier and more accurate! Bed, Bath, and Beyond has cheap ones (use their 20% off coupon).
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Yeah definitely buy one. I can't believe I went so long without it.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    YES. Buy 1 for sure! I take mine everywhere and even plop it down on the restaurant table to weigh my meat... oh yes I do!!! lol
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well worth the ivestment! Its the best way to measure your food and get a closer calorie count!!
  • gaure
    gaure Posts: 3
    Options
    I would suggest getting a food scale and invest in one of those food saver packaging systems. I use the food scale for almost everything I cook or portion up so I know exactly how much I am eating. I buy food in bulk (salmon, chicken, meats, etc) at the local costco for extra savings. Then slice it up in portions to my desired size (usually 4oz portions for fish and meat). Then seal them up in pairs for my wife and I with the food saver system. Put the extra in freezer and then keep a few on hand in the refrigerator for the coming days. That way everytime you cooking a meal you are getting the exact size portion you desire and plus you aren't wasting since they are packaged up with the food saver seals. Another trick we do is get like rotisserie chicken and portion it up as well. Weigh out 4oz portions and put them in either the food saver bags or regular ziploc bags. Keep those on hand in the refrigerator and then you can use it in your salads, or sandwiches, omelettes, etc for the next few days. Good way to stretch out buying a bigger rotisserie chicken and getting multiple meals out of it while sticking to a strict portioned diet. My wife thought of me buying the food scale was just another impulse buy on something that would just sit on the counter and collect dust.. However, even she realizes now how useful and how it has helped us portion out our meals down to the ounces!!! Food Scale and Food Saver Packaging System will be well worth it in the long run!!
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One of the best purchases I have made particularly since we are tracking calories because eye balling can be VERY innacurate especially if your're accustom to seeing resturaunt and fast food portions. I bought one from target for 5 buck and it has served me well. I always make great use of my measuring cups :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yes - absolutely - I bought it even before I bought my bathroom scales.....

The other thing I did immediately was to buy lots of zip lock bags - and small plastic food containers - !/2 cup and 1 cup size - and a few 2 cup sizes to take food to work......

The biggest change for me was portion control - I was eating reasonably healthy - but a about 3 times a normal portion - so weighing - and putting things in the right size containers really helped me with understanding and managing portion sizes...
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a food scale and invest in one of those food saver packaging systems. I use the food scale for almost everything I cook or portion up so I know exactly how much I am eating. I buy food in bulk (salmon, chicken, meats, etc) at the local costco for extra savings. Then slice it up in portions to my desired size (usually 4oz portions for fish and meat). Then seal them up in pairs for my wife and I with the food saver system. Put the extra in freezer and then keep a few on hand in the refrigerator for the coming days. That way everytime you cooking a meal you are getting the exact size portion you desire and plus you aren't wasting since they are packaged up with the food saver seals. Another trick we do is get like rotisserie chicken and portion it up as well. Weigh out 4oz portions and put them in either the food saver bags or regular ziploc bags. Keep those on hand in the refrigerator and then you can use it in your salads, or sandwiches, omelettes, etc for the next few days. Good way to stretch out buying a bigger rotisserie chicken and getting multiple meals out of it while sticking to a strict portioned diet. My wife thought of me buying the food scale was just another impulse buy on something that would just sit on the counter and collect dust.. However, even she realizes now how useful and how it has helped us portion out our meals down to the ounces!!! Food Scale and Food Saver Packaging System will be well worth it in the long run!!

I dont have a food saver packaging system - sounds great - but that is exactly what I do when I go to the store on a Sunday - then I have the right sizes available - and dont get tempted to "eat a bit more"
  • KSfitgal
    KSfitgal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale - very worthwhile investment. I couldn't successfully do my diet without one. I found a digital at Bed Bath & Beyond - it was $20 and is the "biggest loser" scale.