Why am I craving salt?

Options
I've recently started moving towards veganism, eating no animal products Mon - Fri. I'm also training for a 10k, and tend to eat mostly wholefoods, not a lot that's pre - processed. In the last couple of weeks, I've had a real hankering for salt. Not necessarily in crisps or anything like that, just salt on my food and even salty water. Any ideas what might be missing for me to have this?

Thanks

Replies

• Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing salt?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you cut back on salt?
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was brought up to cook and eat low salt (congenital heart problems in family which luckily I don't have) so I've not consciously cut down. I've always been taught that there's enough salt in food without ever needing to add more.
  • khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a salt craving comes from a thyroid issue, like I have. I'm also vegan, but I find I don't crave salt anymore because I get enough of it from the foods I eat. I never have to add it, unlike before.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Do you have naturally low blood pressure? Are you dehydrated?

Barring a medical condition, just eat the salt!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I was brought up to cook and eat low salt (congenital heart problems in family which luckily I don't have) so I've not consciously cut down. I've always been taught that there's enough salt in food without ever needing to add more.

This is usually true, but if you are very active and sweat a lot you may need more than average. You could check your blood sodium levels with a simple blood test, but if you don't want to pay for a Dr. visit then just eat a little salt. You don't have to start over-salting things, just add a little to satisfy your craving.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Just done a Google following the thyroid post and think the docs is in order if it doesn't go away soon - didn't realise salt craving and exhaustion were signs of adrenal problems and I'm asthmatic and at risk of adrenal crisis from my inhalers. Hoping it's just dehydration, but should probably get checked out :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Because I don't use iodized salt to cook and eat very little ultra processed foods, when I also do not use soy or fish sauce regularly, I become iodine deficient, and this leads to salt cravings.

Do get checked out!