Healthy lunch ideas for work

Options
Hey, what do you take to work for lunch? I get about a 20 minute window to eat and would appreciate some quick and healthy ideas :)

Replies

• scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    As it's still warm I usually take a salad. At the moment it's an avocado, tuna or chicken with rocket and tomatoes. When the weather turn colder I'll probably switch to soups. I sometimes make overnight oats for lunch and today I had cottage cheese pancakes I made the night before warmed up and they work sweet or savoury.
  • lornacatherine91
    lornacatherine91 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    scyian wrote: »
    As it's still warm I usually take a salad. At the moment it's an avocado, tuna or chicken with rocket and tomatoes. When the weather turn colder I'll probably switch to soups. I sometimes make overnight oats for lunch and today I had cottage cheese pancakes I made the night before warmed up and they work sweet or savoury.

I'm a brit in FL so it's always warm if you ask me lol! Thanks for the suggestions, the salad sounds great!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I usually bring leftovers from dinner the night before. If I don't have leftovers, I have a few go-to options that I can throw together in a hurry.

One of my faves right now is to keep a container of baked tofu in the fridge (one pkg tofu sliced+soy sauce/liquid aminos, bake at 400 for 15min on each side), along with some udon noodles (wegmans makes frozen ones that are tasty). I just toss those in a container with frozen veggies, nuke the whole thing for a minute at lunch, and have a tasty, balanced, delicious meal that I can eat quickly and heat on the go. Can flavor it a bunch of different ways, and if I want a bit more fat or flavor I can toss in olive oil, if I want to go with a different flavor than asian I cook the tofu with some tomato braising, etc. If you hate tofu you could do this with chicken or another protein instead.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    leftovers and crockpot recipes. I'm all about making soups; vegan chili, chicken taco, black bean soup, all are healthy and can be warmed up quickly even in the microwave at work. I try to take leftovers when i have them. I always have hummus, fruit and veggies in the fridge just in case I need something salty or sweet. best of luck!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i had whole grain bread and peanut butter, string cheese, and have grazed on snap peas and fruit for the rest of the work day. today i also had beef jerky. i try to have a bigger breakfast, so i don't need a heavy lunch

soup is always good or salad. or tuna salad.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take leftovers. Today was a boiled egg, a little bit of leftover smoothie that I pulled out of the freezer, some carrots, a small bit of leftover pasta salad and a cheese stick.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I grill a bunch of chicken breasts on the weekend and portion them out into zip-lock baggies (store in the freezer). Today I had a grilled chicken Caesar salad.....other days it will be Asian, Taco, or Harvest salad.

Wraps and sandwiches are good. I always pack a veggie & a piece of fruit.
  • TeeLeefit1
    TeeLeefit1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I grill a bunch of chicken breasts on the weekend and portion them out into zip-lock baggies (store in the freezer). Today I had a grilled chicken Caesar salad.....other days it will be Asian, Taco, or Harvest salad.

Wraps and sandwiches are good. I always pack a veggie & a piece of fruit.

This is what I do also. Meal prep is huge. Time consuming but really worth it.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    leftovers and crockpot recipes. I'm all about making soups; vegan chili, chicken taco, black bean soup, all are healthy and can be warmed up quickly even in the microwave at work.

Yep, this week I've had jalapeno popper soup, turkey pumpkin chili, buffalo chicken soup, and I have chicken cacciatore with mushrooms, jerk stew, enchilada stuffed peppers, two more kinds of chili, and I'm sure a lot more meals things portioned in my freezer to grab and go for lunch.