NROLW: Lifting and Eating at Maintenance

Options
I've recently purchased New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm a little nervous about starting this program because it's asking me to eat over 2,000 calories a day and then over 2,300 on days that I lift. For someone that just lost 55 pounds, this is a little daunting. So my question is has anyone had any success with lifting and eating at maintenance? Which would be around 1700 right now. Would I be able to gain muscle?

Current weight: 145
Height: 5'3

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far. I'm lifting and eating at maintenance, with max 20 mim of cardio before lifting. My maintenance is around 1700. I'm 5"2 and 117. Recomp was what I'm going for. So at your weight, that may be correct, but you have to play with the numbers to find your maintenance. I don't trust the calculators bc they all say different things. I tracked me calorie intake and exercise calories in excel. I was able to lower my bodyfat without changes on the scale. That's how I found my number.
    You can try going up by 100 calories from 1700, give it a week or two, and see what happens. If you lose weight, then your maintenance is higher and you can increase by another 100.
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss so far. I'm lifting and eating at maintenance, with max 20 mim of cardio before lifting. My maintenance is around 1700. I'm 5"2 and 117. Recomp was what I'm going for. So at your weight, that may be correct, but you have to play with the numbers to find your maintenance. I don't trust the calculators bc they all say different things. I tracked me calorie intake and exercise calories in excel. I was able to lower my bodyfat without changes on the scale. That's how I found my number.
    You can try going up by 100 calories from 1700, give it a week or two, and see what happens. If you lose weight, then your maintenance is higher and you can increase by another 100.

Thank you much! I'll definitely do that.