Diet Coke Addiction

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    How about stopping the blanket statement of equating no willpower with addiction?

How about using common sense and not reading everything so literally?

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oh yeah, mine is the only post worth commenting on here. Not the ones saying it is OK to call lack of willpower an addiction. Why don't they use some common sense?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    How about blow it out your *kitten*?

:lol:

Seriously, though. Words have meanings. Lack of willpower is a better description of these issues than addiction.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    How about blow it out your *****?

BRASS - BUGLE - FLUTE - KAZOO - SLIDE - VALVE???
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I just quit drinking it last week and lost 4.5lbs since. I have noticed a reduced appetite so I'm eating less so I think it was making me hungry. I didn't drink much I would have 1 soda a day and 1 other aspertame drink.

So you stopped drinking something with zero calories, and believe that you dropped 4.5 lbs of weight as a result, which is equivalent to consuming 15,750 less calories than normal?
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I just quit drinking it last week and lost 4.5lbs since. I have noticed a reduced appetite so I'm eating less so I think it was making me hungry. I didn't drink much I would have 1 soda a day and 1 other aspertame drink.

What other changes have you made to your diet/exercise in that time period?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I think it's extremely helpful and important to point out that no, they are not, in fact, addicted. That returns the power to themselves instead of empowering the substance.

So much YES to this! <3
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 90lbs while still drinking diet coke/coke zero. I've found no issue with it in regards to weight loss, but I do find I have to limit it at night because the caffeine will keep me up. Another thing to consider is how it affects your tooth enamel (there's a lot of acid in it).

What is your particular issue with diet coke (more info could lead to better recommendations for a substitute)?
  • knowles1989
    knowles1989 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill!
    I drink a lot of diet coke too, I found that last time I tried loosing weight I was still able to loose and continue to drink diet coke but just limited myself to 2 cans per day. I wouldn't say I'm addicted, I just love diet coke :) don't worry about it too much :)
  • jez_4ever
    jez_4ever Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it so much. I haven't taken a sip in probably 2 years now. I only drink flavored water or good ole agua now. However, I can't say it helped with any type of weight loss or anything like that. Overall, I think its better. I just feel better and I probably sleep a little better too. Have you ever watched the videos on what coke products do to nails, rust, etc? Just imagine what the stuff is doing inside of your body? It can't be good
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    jez_4ever wrote: »
    I used to drink it so much. I haven't taken a sip in probably 2 years now. I only drink flavored water or good ole agua now. However, I can't say it helped with any type of weight loss or anything like that. Overall, I think its better. I just feel better and I probably sleep a little better too. Have you ever watched the videos on what coke products do to nails, rust, etc? Just imagine what the stuff is doing inside of your body? It can't be good

There are better refutations of those old ebil Coke myths, but I'm lazy and don't feel like digging.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp
  • jez_4ever
    jez_4ever Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jez_4ever wrote: »

There are better refutations of those old ebil Coke myths, but I'm lazy and don't feel like digging.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

I don't have to look it up to know that they probably aren't all true. But I can guarantee you that you can't find any nutritional value in Diet Coke - or other soda's for that matter. However, there is a ton of scientific proof from the medical community showing the negative side effects of it/them.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    D8sxR1.gif

Yeah, I'm not saying it's nutritionally dense, but scare-videos of rusting nails and using coke to clean car batteries is a poor argument against drinking it.

The main reason I limit (not eliminate, limit) soft drinks is that it's hell on your tooth enamel. The other reason is that I hate the taste of diet soda and the calorie count of regular soda isn't worth it to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    O_Vianco wrote: »
    Ok. So it may be a long shot well not really. Lol. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's a diet coke addict!!! It's awful!!!
    In what sense are you saying you're an addict?
    Clinical addiction is a very serious thing, and plenty of people on MFP have actually been through it, so it's a bit nicer and more understanding to say something like "I have diet coke cravings" or "I drink diet coke way more than I intend to".
    If you think you actually have a clinical addiction to diet coke (other than the minor physical dependence to caffeine that all caffeine causes), I'd say there isn't really scientific support for people being addicted to foods.

I'd consider someone whom can't control not giving into, their craving; an addict.

really? a lack of self control is addiction?

bd5.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I love diet coke. You know diet coke has no addictive qualities.

I don't drink diet coke because of how caffeine affects me, and I don't like the taste of the decaffeinated, but I do drink other diet sodas and love them. I can concur 100% with Liz, and with subsequent replies, that coke (the drink), whether sugar free or not, has no addictive qualities.

However, sometimes when I really REALLY want something, and a lot of it, I can be compulsive about it. I really have to watch myself there because my goal is to have all foods and beverages in moderation.

Compulsiveness and addiction are very different: I can control compulsiveness through changed behavior, but I have no control over addiction and would need professional help to overcome it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    O_Vianco wrote: »
    Ok. So it may be a long shot well not really. Lol. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's a diet coke addict!!! It's awful!!!
    In what sense are you saying you're an addict?
    Clinical addiction is a very serious thing, and plenty of people on MFP have actually been through it, so it's a bit nicer and more understanding to say something like "I have diet coke cravings" or "I drink diet coke way more than I intend to".
    If you think you actually have a clinical addiction to diet coke (other than the minor physical dependence to caffeine that all caffeine causes), I'd say there isn't really scientific support for people being addicted to foods.

I'd consider someone whom can't control not giving into, their craving; an addict.

This is very interesting, but the bottom line is that anybody can control their craving for food because it's a mental thing and not a physical thing. Moderation in all things. ;)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    That whole "what coke does to nails" thing is a myth.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    4w41amfopzrz.jpg
  • sleeves312
    sleeves312 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Neurologically, they also have the distinction that habit addictions have dopamine as an anticipatory neurotransmitter, not a post consumption rise.
    For example, while people like to refer to food as causing dopamine spikes like cocaine, this is entirely inaccurate in explaining the timing. Dopamine spikes in anticipation of food, sex, gambling for a gambler. These all indicate that the person had mentally come to view the object as a reward, and dopamine shows anticipation of the reward. That's also why someone with gambling addiction has dopamine spikes regardless of whether they win or loss, and continuous winning will actually drop the spikes just like continuously losing will. The anticipation is important, and predictable outcomes don't induce as much anticipation.
    Actual cocaine causes dopamine to rise and stay high by blocking the processes that recycle dopamine in the brain. A person who frequently uses will experience withdrawals because their synapses actually alter and lose reception to dopamine because the cells assume their is a biological problem going on and they need to down regulate reaction to a bad signal.

• beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options