So tired of this lifestyle

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to portions. Use the scale, but LOOK at the food. Learn what size your portions are and should be.

I know many people swear they will log every bite of food for the rest of their lives, but it think that if you could flash-forward to twenty years from now, you'd see that they didn't end up doing it. Most people will not be logging their food forever.

If you know you don't enjoy it, learn how to eat without it while you use that crutch. Then, walk on your own. :)
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If there's no fitness classes in town, why not start your own informal fitness club with a few fellow students. Ride bikes, walk around town, jog on the local school track or streets, make up your own exercise challenges using whatever is at hand, or just put on some music and start to move! Sounds like you need something to shake you out of your boredom!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    For me it is very simple.

I accepted the fact i will never NOT count my calories because i WILL gain weight.
    So to not gain, i have to keep on counting. And i dont see it as a big deal because i want to maintain my weight.

Luckily i dont have to change much when i start maintaining because i am not really on a diet. I just ate less the last 11 months.
    I only have to up it a bit ( portions) add some "skinny/light" products back to full ( like dressing and skimmed milk etc) and i am back to normal again.
    I always ate a balanced diet, my whole life. Ate it all and still do. I only had to eat less.

Cooked and baked from scratch, so no changes there either. :)

At this point i am not far of maintenance so upped my calories already. And going like predicted. Keep losing and i keep weighing all my solid food on the food scale
    It just takes a minute more to do so, and that minute more doesn't matter because the result is that i keep my desired/healthy weight.

I also dont see it as obsessive to weigh everything. As a former restaurant owner and chef it was normal for me to make recipes and weigh everything. Part of the job and my life.
    I also dont stress when i cant weigh something ( when i am out) i just guess and i always say...that dinner out or that party or that donut i take or McDonalds didn't make me fat......it was all those times after that one time i took it over and over again.
    All the times i ate more calories than i needed. In healthy lovely fruits and vegetables and a drink. In junk foods and other treats.
    I know that i can eat everything i want ( and i do) as long as i keep counting. And when i indulge one day...the next day have to be less and normal again. portion control is the key for me.
    So for me "a person who cant eyeball portions" it will be counting my calories for the rest of my life, not stressing about some food i cant count, just next day back to normal.

No obsession just acceptance that it is that way. And i am very relax about all of it.

and that is also how i lost my

95069916.png

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm at a point in my life where I've adapted a healthy lifestyle for so long, but now I don't have nearly as much time and I don't have the fitness resources I used to. I'm in medical school so I am studying at least eight hours a day, not including other school stuff, which means prolonged sitting my body isn't used to. I don't have fitness classes in this town...

What do you think about running? If you're tight on time and you want an exercise that burns a lot of calories, relatively speaking, and has a quick, positive impact on your aerobic fitness and mood, it's worth considering. It's cheap and you can do it almost anywhere. Three times a week is good for beginners; the Couch to 5K plan is popular.

I figure my running shoes work out to cost me 25 cents per mile by the time I throw them out, which means my 15-20 weekly miles cost me less than $5. It's a lot cheaper than therapy!
  • tassshhhaaa
    tassshhhaaa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    I'm at a point in my life where I've adapted a healthy lifestyle for so long, but now I don't have nearly as much time and I don't have the fitness resources I used to. I'm in medical school so I am studying at least eight hours a day, not including other school stuff, which means prolonged sitting my body isn't used to. I don't have fitness classes in this town...

What do you think about running? If you're tight on time and you want an exercise that burns a lot of calories, relatively speaking, and has a quick, positive impact on your aerobic fitness and mood, it's worth considering. It's cheap and you can do it almost anywhere. Three times a week is good for beginners; the Couch to 5K plan is popular.

I figure my running shoes work out to cost me 25 cents per mile by the time I throw them out, which means my 15-20 weekly miles cost me less than $5. It's a lot cheaper than therapy!

I actually love running! I am recovering from two slipped discs in my back (prior gymnastics injury that decided to finally give), so i haven't been doing much of it lately in order to fully heal. I'm sure that contributes to my boredom also!
  • tassshhhaaa
    tassshhhaaa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If there's no fitness classes in town, why not start your own informal fitness club with a few fellow students. Ride bikes, walk around town, jog on the local school track or streets, make up your own exercise challenges using whatever is at hand, or just put on some music and start to move! Sounds like you need something to shake you out of your boredom!

This is my favorite comment yet. You are right. And I'm sure there's other students in my class who feel like me. We have a health and wellness club, so I'm going to see if we can think of more ideas on how to stay active together.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I remember in college studying while standing up. I would find a desk or surface where I could study while standing. And while standing, I marched in place, did toe tapping, etc. anything to keep moving - much like I am doing now at age 43 in my office job. I make sure I wear my Fitbit everywhere and do anything I can to get my steps in. I went from about 2,000 steps a day to over 10,000 a day. My daily average is about 12-13,000 a day. If your school has stairs, you have a built-in cardio option right there!