Migraines

Options
Does anyone have cronic migraines?! Mine are from periods and allergies mostly. When I get a migraine I cannot do anything. I can't move, look at lights, listen to anything. It's awful. I take meds my doctor prescribed I don't feels like anything helps unless I just lay there and sleep. My migraines last days at a time. Does anyone have this problem and are still able to stay actve?!
I feel like I'm making excuses but they're awful!!! Help please....

Replies

• jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have them for about three days around that time of month. Chocolate and asprin help mine. Especially chocolate milkshakes for some reason. :smile:
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same as you. I get one day of headaches plus 2 days of a groggy 'hangover' type feeling where I can't think straight or get my words out properly. I don't get them often so I can still stay active- though I've had an ear infection for the last 12 weeks so I have chosen not to exercise till I'm better. (I like to swim and swimming is what caused it)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Sounds familiar. Yoga has helped me a lot. I do it at home most of the time, so I control the time and intensity. Even on the worst days, I can get 10 minutes. Many days, I've thought "I'll get through 10 minutes" and suddenly I'm at 60 minutes. The pain has eased and I can just zone out.

It'll take you a little while to get into it so you can find a flow and not need instruction, but once you get it, it's awesome.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    jodybo2 wrote: »
    I have them for about three days around that time of month. Chocolate and asprin help mine. Especially chocolate milkshakes for some reason. :smile:

I get them around that time too... and they last about 3-4 days also. My go-to is Coke and a dark room (besides the meds of course). No way do I want to be active with migraines. I'll be active when they're gone. I'm getting one as I type this... but that's cuz of the heatwave we're having here. Dark room, here I come. :sunglasses: <-- me but without the smile.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Being active seems to help my migraines. I don't actually have many anymore--staying extremely well hydrated seems to make a big difference.

Google the low tyramine diet and the list of migraine triggers. I have found that there are some things on these lists that I can have in small quantities (peanuts, soy sauce, raisins, oranges) but that if I have multiple servings in a week, they give me problems.

The best migraine treatment (short of going to the hospital) that I have found is Kroger-knock-off Excedrin and a bottle of full-sugar Gatorade.
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Magnesium 200 mg daily helped me for prevention.
  • ewasner
    ewasner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A headache guru put me on magnesium 500mg a day and 200mg COq10 2x/day. I have only had 3 migraines in last 2 years
  • sistermargret
    sistermargret Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same as you. I get one day of headaches plus 2 days of a groggy 'hangover' type feeling where I can't think straight or get my words out properly. I don't get them often so I can still stay active- though I've had an ear infection for the last 12 weeks so I have chosen not to exercise till I'm better. (I like to swim and swimming is what caused it)

• sistermargret
    sistermargret Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What I was trying to say I take Topamax for cronic migraines. My favorite treatment is to drink a coke curl up in bed with the room as dark and quiet as possible. The coke settles my stomach and the caffeine helps the migraine. This has worked for 30yrs.
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from migraines since I was a child but they were worse when I was younger, probably because I can now tell when they are coming on and try to treat proactively. Eating well and staying hydrated seems to lessen the frequency and severity of my migraines. When I feel one coming on, exercise actually seems to keep it at bay. But, if that doesn't work, it's a combination of Excedrin & Advil, ice packs and a quiet room for me until it's gone.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I also suffered with migraines from the time I was 25, sometimes lasting for days. I've tried many different medications before landing on one that really worked about 90% of the time (Zomig).

About a year ago I decided to eliminate gluten and soy from my diet due to other health issues. Amazingly, my migraines diminished tremendously. I have only had 2 in the past 12 months. I used to have between 4-5 a month, so this is a huge improvement. A few months ago I experimented with adding gluten back into my diet and within about 2 weeks I had a migraine (after having been migraine-free for months).

For me - gluten-free = migraine free!
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My husband always tosses me something caffeinated to take my migraine meds. He says the caffeine dilates the vessels in the brain to make the meds go 'zoom' lol whether that is true or not I don't know. I just wait out mine and exercise on the days I can. Don't worry about the days/ weeks you can't exercise and just focus on the times you can (however little).
  • allyj128
    allyj128 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're getting chronic migraines, and don't want to be on the horse tranquilizers (as I call them) that knock you out so frequently, as your neurologist about a preventative like Topamax (or something similar). I use the app iHeadache to track all my headaches and migraines and it really helped my neuro and me see how debilitating they were. We talked about various prevantative options, and went with Topamax (there are many kinds out there, talk to your neurologist about what's right for you). Since then, I get significantly fewer migraines and the migraines I get are much milder. Headaches I used to treat with heavy prescriptions are now handled by Excedrin Migraine!

There's a lot of BS on here and on the internet. Talk to your neurologist for real advice for your situation.
  • SuperSonique1
    SuperSonique1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to get 1-2 migraines per month (usually around the time of month and one in between for kicks). I have somewhat cut back on processed and refined food the last 6 weeks (mostly sugary goodness like chocolate) and caffeine. I have been drinking between 10 and 14 cups of water a day. I think the biggest difference has been being more hydrated and less caffeine. I also find I have been sleeping better, less stomach issues, and more energy.

I will not do the prescription route personally because I don't think mine are frequent enough - but Advil Liquigels are the ONLY otc medicine that immediately help.

Good luck.