Sugar intake w/ PCOS/Diabetes

Options
For those of you with PCOS and or diabetes, how much sugar do you limit yourselves to daily? I don't eat refined sugar so I am referring to meals. Thx.

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Carbs are what you watch when you have type2 diabetes
  • mpofficerswife
    mpofficerswife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and pretty much have to eat like a diabetic would. I know to stay away from white starches, but I have heard, in addition to counting carbs, to limit sugar intake in addition to cutting out sweets and other refined sugars.
  • BekahC1980
    Options
    From how it was explained to me is if you keep your carbs in check your sugar will be also . I've been doing it for 3 months now and my diabetes is so much better
  • BekahC1980
    Options
    Went from a a1c of 10 to 5.8
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have PCOS and pretty much have to eat like a diabetic would. I know to stay away from white starches, but I have heard, in addition to counting carbs, to limit sugar intake in addition to cutting out sweets and other refined sugars.
    Unless an endocrinologist has told you so, no. You just need to lose weight and exercise regulalry. If there is another diagnosis, which is common with PCOS, then follow dr's instructions. Unless a diabetic's diet help you eat less calories, so definitely go for it, it will not hurt.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    never watched sugar intake what helped the most and eventually lead to my son was portion control and slight modification of carbohydrates 40-45%. Calorie control worked the best for me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have prediabetes and tend to keep my carbs to below 30g per day, although it has been a little higher the last few days.

My sugar is usually between 3 and 7 g per day, but it has been a bit higher lately.
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Unless an endocrinologist has told you so, no. You just need to lose weight and exercise regulalry. If there is another diagnosis, which is common with PCOS, then follow dr's instructions. Unless a diabetic's diet help you eat less calories, so definitely go for it, it will not hurt.

Even if the endocrinologist doesn't mention it, low carb helps many with PCOS or diabetes.
  • mpofficerswife
    mpofficerswife Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Most people say exercise and diet for people with PCOS however it is incredibly difficult for us to lose weight in general and dieting is very difficult because we (at least I do) always wind up falling off the band wagon. The only thing my doctor said was to go down to 1000 calories a day and I swear I feel awful with that and I am unable to maintain. I know low carb is helpful but wanted to know the sugar component, since some sugars (even diet products) can spike sugar levels.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Most people say exercise and diet for people with PCOS however it is incredibly difficult for us to lose weight in general and dieting is very difficult because we (at least I do) always wind up falling off the band wagon. The only thing my doctor said was to go down to 1000 calories a day and I swear I feel awful with that and I am unable to maintain. I know low carb is helpful but wanted to know the sugar component, since some sugars (even diet products) can spike sugar levels.

First part of the bolded sentence not true. We lose weight pretty much like everyone else. Some fat tends to be harder to lose, but not so much that it really makes a big difference. Exercise is key for this.
    As for dieting, if you cannot stick to it, and see it as a lifestyle, it will never work, PCOS or not. And the mroe restrictions you add, the less likely you are to follow it. Controlling sugar but not controlling calories will be meaningless.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    hunger is a formidable adversary though. Imo the worst mistake anyone can make is to want to combine low carb and low fat. And actually many very calorie restricted regimes end up being low carb, but lead to terrible hunger because they are also low fat.